General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Challenger at auto show

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/12, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
If it was like 90% it's current size it would be tough to pass one up.
I completely agree, maybe even 80% of current size. The new one is a pig. I saw a new one parked next to an original at a car show. It's surprising how much bigger the new one is. The funny thing is, we generally think of cars from the 70s as larger than today's cars. Definitely not the cae with the Challenger. The only other problem is it's a Chrysler product. Been there, done that. never again.
Old 3/2/12, 08:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
The new barracuda is supposed to be smaller/lighter/faster. We'll see if it's as attractive. I love the challenger's looks but hate the charger. Not sure what they're going to do aesthetically.
Old 3/2/12, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
The new barracuda is supposed to be smaller/lighter/faster. We'll see if it's as attractive. I love the challenger's looks but hate the charger. Not sure what they're going to do aesthetically.
We had a '65 Barracuda when I was a kid. There's potential there I guess. I always liked the Hemi Cuda. What about the Daytona? Dodge could have a home run with that one if they did it right.

Old 3/2/12, 10:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I don't know how well the Daytona would work at this particular time, considering Penske just signed a contract to walk away from Dodge and race Fords starting next year...

As far as the car itself, I would be interested to see Dodge (or SRT, if they want to be pretentious) bring back the 'cuda. I like the challenger for what it is; I think a Hemi Cuda would be fun to see, and would also probably be more in line with what the other two muscle cars are going to be in the future: smaller, faster, more efficient.

That picture (of the Cuda) is awesome.

Last edited by kcoTiger; 3/2/12 at 10:05 PM.
Old 3/2/12, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

The challenger is probably the best of the modern muscle cars if all you want out of your car is something to cruise the blvd on a Saturday night. They look great, they sound great, and they're fast enough to be entertaining in a straight line.

However, if you want a car that is a dynamic and rewarding to drive, especially around corners, than look elsewhere. They're just too heavy. And the traction control can't be fully disabled. They're not designed for dynamic driving. We had an SRT-8 with the 6-speed stick at work and even with the 425 horsepower it didn't feel that quick.

Oh, also, that 65 cuda is a beautiful car. I always loved those big back windows. I'd love to see a new 'cuda based on some new platform that looks more like those early 60s cudas.

Last edited by Kevin509; 3/2/12 at 10:18 PM.
Old 3/2/12, 10:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well to answer the original question... Here is the Pace car with its garage companion..... Yes I love the Challenger too, my dad had 70, Hemi Orange witha black vinyl top 440 six pack but this is as close as we can come and its my wifes car!!
Attached Thumbnails Challenger at auto show-p1010876.jpg   Challenger at auto show-p1010886.jpg  
Old 3/2/12, 10:49 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I, too, am a long-time Mustang lover, and when the new Mustang GT body style came on the scene in 2010, I was getting set to trade in my G35. Then when the new engine and transmission arrived in 2011, I was hooked. And my (5-year-old) son is now a performance car lover - we take our GT to Cars & Coffee Las Vegas a couple times a month. That being said...my son and I truly love to look at the Dodge Challengers, we think they are gorgeous. But, too big to own, and about $10k more than the GT. So when it was time to buy, my decision was easy. But man, those Challengers look great...and that pic of the orange one is awesome.
Old 3/3/12, 07:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
the challengers do have a nice ride quailty about them and also more leg room in the back seats. If I had younger kids that I had to haul around I would have looked harder at the challenger. My buddy has a srt8 challenger and he needs more tire in back to get hooked up and get going. If cash wasn't a factor I would go for the SRT just nicer all the way around over the RT.
Old 3/3/12, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm just glad muscle cars made a nice comeback and I'm a proud owner of one of the hottest cars on the market... I love the Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang equally.... but mustang is the best bang for the buck IMHO :-)... if it wasn't for the comeback of muscle cars I would've been driving a 370z right now
Old 3/3/12, 12:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Old 3/3/12, 12:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I showed my wife that hood Glenn, and she told me to stay away! I like it but she wont let me mod her car at all its bone stock SRT8.....
Old 3/3/12, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I traded my 06 Mustang GT for a 2009 Challenger R/T back in Dec 2008. It was a great car. Great for long Highway cruises. The power was not bad at all. Got a lot of attention driving it around.

I replaced the stock suspension with Eibach struts, shocks and springs for a much better look, C&L CAI, Diablo Tuner, Custom Hood Stripe and painted rear spoiler. Had the exhaust changed by removing the mufflers and resonators and having Flowmaster Mufflers installed. Sounded awesome.

I had it for 18 month, when I came across a deal on my 2010 Shelby that I could not pass up.

Old 3/3/12, 02:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
What's not to like?!?

Would I choose one over a Mustang? No.

Would I want one in my garage next to the Mustang? HELL YEAH!

That is me too. I certainly wouldn't own one over a Mustang, but I'd love to get my paws on one someday. It's not a Pony car (which it should be), but it's great for boulevard cruising.
Old 3/3/12, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's talk about it being replaced with a smaller barracuda...
Old 3/3/12, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The Challenger is the closest a modern car comes to the classic muscle cars of the latte 60s and early 70s.

It's absolutely huge, it's hard to see out of, it handles like a pig, it takes miles to stop, and it get horrible gas milage. It looks beautiful, but is actually much slower than most people think.

Which also applies for the 4 classic muscle cars that I have owned.

In the looks department, it's a clear winnner. It's a stunning vehicle that really turns heads. As far as performance goes, anything short of an SRT can be easily beaten by a V6 Camry.

And then there is the really huge problem with the Challenger. It's a Dodge.

Remember boys and girls, the word "Dodge" means to quickly avoid.

Last edited by Moustang; 3/3/12 at 05:37 PM.
Old 3/3/12, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Moustang
The Challenger is the closest a modern car comes to the classic muscle cars of the latte 60s and early 70s.

It's absolutely huge, it's hard to see out of, it handles like a pig, it takes miles to stop, and it get horrible gas milage. It looks beautiful, but is actually much slower than most people think.

Which also applies for the 4 classic muscle cars that I have owned.

In the looks department, it's a clear winnner. It's a stunning vehicle that really turns heads. As far as performance goes, anything short of an SRT can be easily beaten by a V6 Camry.

And then there is the really huge problem with the Challenger. It's a Dodge.

Remember boys and girls, the word "Dodge" means to quickly avoid.
Where are you getting this from?
The Challenger handles great, does not feel anywhere near it's size when driving it, and stops just fine. Gas mileage, for my 5.7, was no worse then the 06 GT I had. Beating a Camry was no problem either. As far as seeing out of it I agree it took some time to get used to the blind spots.

Last edited by R3troGT; 3/3/12 at 05:54 PM.
Old 3/3/12, 06:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

hennessey challenger
Old 3/3/12, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by R3troGT
Where are you getting this from?
The Challenger handles great, does not feel anywhere near it's size when driving it, and stops just fine. Gas mileage, for my 5.7, was no worse then the 06 GT I had. Beating a Camry was no problem either. As far as seeing out of it I agree it took some time to get used to the blind spots.
It comes from experience, but I suppose my experience differs from yours so I have a different opinion. Also keep in mind that I said it all applied to everything less than an SRT model Challenger.

Compared to the Infiniti G35 I drove before, the Challenger is a pig. Compared to my wife's i4 Camry, it handles a little better, but not a lot.

A Hemi Challenger R/T is a high 14 second 1/4 mile car that pulls .85g on the skidpad. Thats about the same as my old 1985 Camaro in both acceleration and cornering, and is significantly slower than a 2012 V6 Camry in both acceleration and cornering.

It looks great, but I would have to hang my head in shame when my $30k Hemi Charger got beat by some lady in a Camry with a booster seat in the back.
Old 3/3/12, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Really?

I was actually all set to go into the Dodge dealer and look for an RT classic. I had a mustang before and was thinking the Dodge would be bigger/more daily drivable than a Camaro or new Mustang. But when I got there i found it wasn't really bigger inside than the Mustang and the interior construction was still as good as a Cirrus.

Was really disappointed but I thought why not I'll check out a Mustang again and when i sat in one the quality and execution was clearly superior. I knew Ford still had the formula down straight and while the Camaro sold more (there were LOTS of 'maros across the st @ the competing Chevy dealer) the Mustang was still the better daily drivable pony car.

In the end I realized compromises will always have to be made, but with the Challenger you have to make too many of them just for that outside design.

I'll the take the better to live with, better mileage, better performance, and more modern looking Stang than anything else.

Last edited by JPMotorSport; 3/3/12 at 07:51 PM.
Old 3/3/12, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Moustang
It comes from experience, but I suppose my experience differs from yours so I have a different opinion. Also keep in mind that I said it all applied to everything less than an SRT model Challenger.

Compared to the Infiniti G35 I drove before, the Challenger is a pig. Compared to my wife's i4 Camry, it handles a little better, but not a lot.

A Hemi Challenger R/T is a high 14 second 1/4 mile car that pulls .85g on the skidpad. Thats about the same as my old 1985 Camaro in both acceleration and cornering, and is significantly slower than a 2012 V6 Camry in both acceleration and cornering.

It looks great, but I would have to hang my head in shame when my $30k Hemi Charger got beat by some lady in a Camry with a booster seat in the back.
What type of Challenger have driven? Auto or Stick?

Quick Reply: Challenger at auto show