General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Challenger at auto show

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/12, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Challenger at auto show

I was at the Chicago Auto Show a few weeks back, and of course my 12-year old son and I spent a lot of time at the Mustang section, really enjoying seeing all the new models, especially the Boss, which we hadn't seen up close before.

Then we wandered over to check the competition, and I have to admit, the Challenger up close is a pretty enticing vehicle. I'm not saying I'm ready to trade in the Mustang, but I love the long, long hood on the Challenger and its general shape. I even said to my son that the Challenger may be a better looking car than the Mustang, which sounded blasphemous to his ears and he refused to listen to any more.

Does anyone else here secretly harbor thoughts like these? As a Mustang owner, I feel a bit guilty, but then again, maybe I shouldn't.
Old 3/2/12, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't feel guilty, the Callenger is a wonderful car for what it is. I have a friend with an 09 SRT8 Challenger and the car is a blast to drive! But it is a long, heavy ill handling pig next to the Camaro and especially the Mustang. But the styling is what sells that car, and I can appreciate it without desiring one myself. I chose the Mustang over the Challenger and the Camaro because the mustang offered what I wanted better than the others. I like a balance of power and handling with a civil ride on the highway which is why I got the one I did and didn't get the Brembo package and 3.73's. To each their own!
Old 3/2/12, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't share the love of the challenge you seem to have, to big for me. It is beautiful in its lines, I certainly loved that orange one at the CAS! Awesome color.
Old 3/2/12, 12:15 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
What's not to like?!?

Would I choose one over a Mustang? No.

Would I want one in my garage next to the Mustang? HELL YEAH!

Old 3/2/12, 12:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I think the challenger looks the most like the first generations of muscle cars. The current mustang is a close second. I think the looks are easily the most attractive aspect of the challenger , because the handling is apparently stuck back in the 60's too. I'd still buy one of them before I bought a camaro. I'd buy a lot of cars before I bought a camaro, not all of them american either. I don't hate camaros, but I do hate the latest version. The challenger at least looks the part. Pretty car.
Old 3/2/12, 12:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Challenger is a nice car. I'd like to have one.
Old 3/2/12, 12:44 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
What's not to like?!?

+1, and that's high praise from me considering that I work at a Ford dealership and have owned 7 Mustangs and 0 Challengers! I've loved Challengers ever since seeing the movie Vanishing Point in the theatres back in 1970 or 1971. Also, in 1970, my next door neighbor bought a brand new Challenger 440 Six-Pack that is permanently etched in my mind. If I were looking for a cushy riding, grand tourer, the Challenger would be oh so tempting, especially in SRT trim.
Old 3/2/12, 12:58 PM
GT Member

I love the look of the Challenger. At the auto show I loved sitting on the enormous couch that is the front seat - that would be a comfy cruiser I'm sure. I've played with the build-it-now function on the website (more than once). Am I going to BUY one? No.
Old 3/2/12, 01:04 PM
GT Member

I traded my 2010 Challenger RT in a 2012 Mustang GT precisely because the Mustang is so much more powerful and better handling than the Challenger. I'd also say the Challenger got more looks and admirers than the Stang. It is a beautiful car with a great ride and decent power, but the Mustang has 412 ponies and almost 500 lbs lighter. It's also a lot easier to drive than the Challenger as visibility is not good in that car, especially in the rear. It's got to be the hardest car to park ever made. The biggest drawback to the Challenger is that it's a HUGE vehicle. They designed it in such a way as to minimize this fact but it's based on an E-class mercedes chassis and there's just no hiding that. Still, curse me if you will but I say the Challenger is the prettier car and maybe the best muscle car ever made. I find I just like pony cars better.
Old 3/2/12, 01:39 PM
GT Member

Did you guys see that Dodge is planning to do a Barracuda under the SRT name (like the new Viper) to replace the Challenger !!!!
Old 3/2/12, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
I think the challenger looks the most like the first generations of muscle cars. The current mustang is a close second. I think the looks are easily the most attractive aspect of the challenger , because the handling is apparently stuck back in the 60's too. I'd still buy one of them before I bought a camaro. I'd buy a lot of cars before I bought a camaro, not all of them american either. I don't hate camaros, but I do hate the latest version. The challenger at least looks the part. Pretty car.
I agree 100%! I think Dodge did the best retro job of all 3! I love all 3 for different reasons but the challenger is definitely the coolest of the bunch.
Old 3/2/12, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I'd love to have one in the garage next to my Mustang, too, but there'd be no room for my wife's Subaru!

Hmm, maybe I can get the Challenger for her. It would be a good car for cruising to her job, and she drives only automatic, which seems right for that huge a car.

Unfortunately, she'd never go for a 2-door.
Old 3/2/12, 01:54 PM
Banned

It's probably my favorite car, new and classic. Take one for a test drive man. Only reason I don't have one is that they're a bit too rich for my blood ATM. It's really cool how you see nothing but hood when you beat on it. And the shifter is really cool too... Drive a used SRT8, you'll start doing some mental math lol
Old 3/2/12, 01:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The problem is you have to buy a 392 SRT just to compete with the Mustang GT. That is around 48K mildly optioned.
Old 3/2/12, 02:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
What's not to like?!?

My thoughts exactly. Wouldn't mind having a Camaro either if I had the means.
Old 3/2/12, 02:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts

I likem too I actually had a yellow 71 340 4speed pistol grip. I'm just a little sad they haven't updated the body in some way. Its nice they uped the hp but iit does need a little up dating
I would have one again in I had some excess cash but wouldn't give up my Stang.
Old 3/2/12, 03:55 PM
Bullitt Member

They do need to update it. They should make the hood even longer! Seriously. Is it as long as the hood of the 71-73 Mustang yet? Now that was a long hood.
Old 3/2/12, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Love the orange one, by the way. To look at. Wouldn't want to own one that flashy.

To complete the retro effect they should offer some in early 70's colors like pea green and puke brown.
Old 3/2/12, 08:35 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Always liked the looks of it, but a couple of things turned me of. First was the plastic fuel door, just seemed like it was cheap. I drove a 392 before I picked up the Boss while I have a '12 GT on order at the New Car Sales here. Took it out on the autobahn and got it up to 140mph quick. No doubt it's a fast car, but too big and heavy for me.
Old 3/2/12, 08:38 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
If it was like 90% it's current size it would be tough to pass one up.

Quick Reply: Challenger at auto show