General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Car Cost vs. Gas Mileage Calculator

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/08, 08:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I already saved my gas money 2 years ago.
I got rid of my "12 MPG in the city" car for my gas sipping MUSTANG !!!!
It's all relative.
Old 7/8/08, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL....I guess I just screwed up big time......

We just traded the V6 Escape for a Bullitt...................Now feeding to GT's....and lovin life.....
Old 7/9/08, 08:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
The point is don't trade a car solely for gas savings. Too many people are making rash judgements buying compact cars to save money on fuel and giving away their SUV's on trade in for what? It's irrational and people should stop and think or analyze the cost differences. If your buying a new car anyway, well then it might be OK, but don't do it solely for that reason. If you must, try buying a used car with good gas mileage that is of equal value to your current car, then you're saving money.
Exactly - this knee-jerk reaction to gas prices cracks me up..."I finally got rid of my Expedition that only got 15MPG and got a [insert emasculating wimp car here] that gets 30+MPG!!!!!" The part they won't tell you is that they were upside down like a **** on the Expedition which was added to the price of the baby car
Old 7/9/08, 10:59 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
prius' are crap as far as Im concerned. they've got people really jaded, and the people that buy them for the most part have no clue how awful the car they're buying really is. I can go on a rant for a month!

As far as Im concerned, once I buy my 07, its never leaving. I would like to get a VW Jetta TDI, get one from Europe that gets 50+mpg
Old 7/9/08, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
prius' are crap as far as Im concerned. they've got people really jaded, and the people that buy them for the most part have no clue how awful the car they're buying really is. I can go on a rant for a month!
my job.....dep of san!tation for ny (i had to use the "!" because they do searches on google for keywords to see what people are saying about the dept!), uses prius' for the supervisors cars. a year back i had to pick up a brand new one from the main office and bring it back to my garage. let me tell you......what a piece of CR@P! every time it goes from the electric motor to the engine it bucks like its about to stall out. the interior is made of 95% plastic, the seats are uncomfortable, the ride blows, and it just looks terrible. i felt like i was driving a car from the jetsons minus the flying lol. and when these cars start breaking down after their precious warantee has expired, do you think the 25 year veteran mechanics at joe blows garage will be able to fix them? NOPE! itll have to be taken back to the local stealership and the people who bought these cars will wish they never did when their bill is sky high. all in all i HATE the prius.

and sorry for hijacking the thread......i just had to vent
Old 7/9/08, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
Exactly - this knee-jerk reaction to gas prices cracks me up..."I finally got rid of my Expedition that only got 15MPG and got a [insert emasculating wimp car here] that gets 30+MPG!!!!!" The part they won't tell you is that they were upside down like a **** on the Expedition which was added to the price of the baby car
Does anyone really think driving a certain kind of car makes you more or less manly/wimpy? If you were only driving that Expedition because it made you feel like a man you have much more serious issues than gas mileage.
Old 7/9/08, 07:45 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm pretty sure MTAS never said he was driving the Expedition. It is a hypothetical. Touchy aren't we.
Old 7/9/08, 07:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I think of it as paying off dept....By Having a "gass guzzler"...you have gotten yourself into Gas debt. Getting a high MPG car helps you pay down the debt, but depending on how deep in you are, it could take a while, and then you eventually get to keep more of your money when its payed off....I wonder if that makes sense to anyone else but me?
Old 7/9/08, 08:19 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
If you have a paid for car that gets 30 mpg and a paid for car that gets 15 mpg then as long as both serves your needs the 30 mpg car is saving you money on gas. But if you have a paid for car that gets 15 mpg and you sell it or trade it in for a car with a net price difference of $20,000. How many miles must you drive to make up the $20,000 dollars you just spent in gas alone? At $4/gallon, you'll drive 75,000 miles before you break even and begin to save money.

The best thing anyone can have is a paid for car. Without a car payment you can buy alot more gas.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 7/10/08 at 05:47 PM.
Old 7/9/08, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Right on the money, I've told people for years that complain about gas mileage that a used civic would save them many thousands of dollars over buying a new Prius. And you can actually find a mechanic to work on the civic!

Last edited by jedikd; 7/9/08 at 08:30 PM.
Old 7/10/08, 04:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I'm pretty sure MTAS never said he was driving the Expedition. It is a hypothetical. Touchy aren't we.
Sarcasm is so hard to get across correctly on the 'net but you got my drift I did drive my daughter's Expedition once and it may as well have been a school bus That Expedition was shortly traded for a Mercury Milano, way before the raping at the gas pump started
Old 7/10/08, 10:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
It makes sense to go to a fuel efficient car when you're ready to get rid of an older car. I'm ready to retire the 00 Crown Vic as a winter daily driver so I'm looking at the Mazda3 with the 2.5L DOHC I4. I looked at the Prius, Nissan Altima Hybrid, and Malibu Hybrid but the Mazda3 is much better equipped at $5k less. The fuel economy delta is 5-15 MPG and hardly worth it to bother with a cheaply made Prius. The Mazda3 S GT gets 30+ MPG on the highway and has LED tail lamps with projector Xenon HID headlamps.
Old 7/10/08, 11:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
Right on the money, I've told people for years that complain about gas mileage that a used civic would save them many thousands of dollars over buying a new Prius. And you can actually find a mechanic to work on the civic!
I have a 2000 Civic, paid it off years ago (bought it new). I never put gas in the thing and maintenance is relatively cheap. By having a paid for gas-sipper you can save tons of money, even before gas was $4/gallon.
Old 7/10/08, 05:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
my taurus is payed of, and I get 27 mph average per tank...wish it was better, but its way cheaper than buying another car.
Old 7/14/08, 10:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

If anyone feels they need to complain about Mustangs being "gas guzzlers" they need to be pointed towards an H2 to get straightened out on what "gas guzzler" really is.
Old 7/16/08, 06:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
8.xL V8 in a Suburban is a gas guzzler. Then again, my 2000 Crown Vic gets 2-3 MPG at WOT.
Old 7/20/08, 07:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have no problems with anyone wanting to move to a Prius, as a matter of fact, for those on the fence, I say go for it... cause I need your gas for my Stang!!!!
Old 7/20/08, 08:59 AM
GT Member

It's all relative. I think buying small fuel efficient cars is a fad of today. However it is beneficial to all of us that this trend has become so popular. The technology is developing and getting better each day because there is a demand therefore car companies are willing to invest time and money in it to make it better.

Think about it. It took us 100 years to make gasoline engines tire scorching, pavement pounding, and clean running from wimpy 12 hp power sources back in the early 1900's. Steam engines were king, gasoline engines were crap.

With the technology of today, we will be able to make much more progress in a much shorter period of time to produce hydro cars or electric cars that are not only fuel efficient and affordable but can scorch pavement and pound pavement while blazing the quarter mile at 11-13 seconds at an affordable price. That day will come. It happened with wimpy gasoline motors with poor technology 100 years ago. It will happen again, even more quickly, with a different energy source and better, more advanced technology and many more players such as Japan, China, Korea, Europe and the US working on it to support the revolution.

I'm not willing to sacrifice performance for an affordable alternative fuel efficient vehicle but I, and you should too, am glad there is a market to support alternative fuel vehicles. Eventually you and I will not have to sacrifice performance for affordable alternative fuel transportation. Alternative fuel performance vehicles will eventually be here. Alternative fuel vehicles of the future will outperform our beloved gasoline powered cars of today. Imagine that. You won't have to imagine it though.
Old 7/23/08, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think the fundamental point is that cars like the Prius and Atom aren't meant to be replacements for cars like Mustangs and Camaros. They're meant to be replacements for less efficient commuter cars with the sole purpose of being a commute and errand runner. If I could swing having two cars right now, I sure as hell wouldn't be driving my 'Stang every day to work, through terrible DC roads, traffic, etc. I'd definitely look into something way fuel efficient for a second car..........just wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius.
Old 7/23/08, 07:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

*IF* I was going to get something more fuel-efficient and practical, it would be something like the Cobalt SS or Mini Cooper S. Both get something like 36 mpg highway, and are a lot of fun at the same time.

But speaking of gas guzzlers, I was at the BMW lot the other night looking at the new 135 coupes (300 hp; 0-60 in 4.8, 1/4 mile in 13.4 @ 104 mph), and I saw an M3 coupe. The window sticker on the M3 shows it gets hit with a $1500 "gas guzzler" tax! The EPA mileage is 14/20 on the M3. But that wasn't the worst one. There was also an M5 on the lot with a $3000 gas guzzler tax surcharge! EPA of 11/17. But that boy has the V10 engine with 500hp, so it ain't all bad news.

Quick Reply: Car Cost vs. Gas Mileage Calculator