General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Car Cost vs. Gas Mileage Calculator

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/08, 05:10 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Cost vs. Gas Mileage Calculator

For everyone who owns a Mustang, and has had even a fleeting thought of trading it for a more fuel efficient car.......try this...

http://www.edmunds.com/calculators/gas-guzzler.html

I calculated my 06 GT against several 30mpg cars.....long story short, it would take over 4 YEARS to break even after a trade!!!

That was with my GT getting 21mpg, which is my commute mileage, NOT highway. No matter how I figured it, it came out to be a LOOOONG time to see any gains from switching to a smaller, boring, less-safe fuel efficient car. I am sure that there may be variables for some, and things that the calculator may be off on a bit as well, but I thought this was a very handy tool. Many people are running out to dump their "guzzler", only to find that they are really taking a bath. Shades of the 70's. KEEP THE MUSTANG! (not that was ever really going to get rid of my baby)

In fact, I think I am going to go out and leave a few new lines on the pavement today.

Last edited by 05stangkc; 12/19/23 at 07:49 AM.
Old 7/8/08, 06:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

I laugh at people trading in their slightly used cars for the Prius. They never consider the amount of time it would take to get their money back(if it's even possible in some instances).
Old 7/8/08, 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine will never be sold.
Old 7/8/08, 06:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exactly - why trade a "gas payment" for a car payment? Makes no sense to my simple mind
Old 7/8/08, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with you guys, I'm not trading my Mustang in for anything...except maybe another Mustang
Old 7/8/08, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

I did a "what if" calculation a couple of months ago to see if I would actually save any money by trading my GT in for a Prius. The savings in gas would have been totally negated by the extra cost of the purchase price of the Prius, in fact it would have ended up costing me something like $400 a year more to drive a Prius than my Mustang GT.

According to Edmunds calculator it would take me about 10 years to break even!

Last edited by Vermillion06; 7/8/08 at 10:36 AM.
Old 7/8/08, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Well really, if one was having money problems, the best thing to do would be to sell the Stang and get some used Cavilier, Civic, or something like that for about 1/3 the price and pocket the difference. But yeah, you're right. Trading for something new makes no sense at all.
Old 7/8/08, 11:34 AM
V6 Member

"But yeah, you're right. Trading for something new makes no sense at all. "

I agree %100. But I bet alot of folks are having a knee-jerk, and not really crunching numbers. You can just tell by the copy of the adds these days. The only way to come out ahead is to go way-used, and way-cheap. And that just seems way-SUCKY!!...lol

Old 7/8/08, 11:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Trading this car for the sake of fuel efficiency alone isn't the answer. If someone has to sell their Mustang, the personal financial issues are much deeper than the current price per gallon for gasoline.

Now, if the doomsayers have their way and fuel is $6+/gallon in a year, the numbers will start to change a bit.
Old 7/8/08, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hahahaha.... It would take me 12 years to break even..... (and looking stylish driving the Prius)...
Old 7/8/08, 12:32 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased a brand new Hyundai Accent for 11500 out the door last year using home equity line.( Didn't trade anything in but now my Stang is a weekend driver as well as the wifes F150 which is geared for a tow package that we don't need(14 mpg in the city)
I get tax deduction and the payment is next to nothing.
Old 7/8/08, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GTMark052
I agree with you guys, I'm not trading my Mustang in for anything...except maybe another Mustang
Roger that!
Old 7/8/08, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

On the same line of though, if someone were to buy a Camry hybrid (about $26k) over a base Camry ($19k) in order to get better gas mileage, it would take 14.5 years to save the price difference of the two cars before you could actually start saving gas money (12,000 miles a year, $4 a gallon, based on the two cars EPA avg mpg).
Old 7/8/08, 02:36 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MTAS
Exactly - why trade a "gas payment" for a car payment? Makes no sense to my simple mind

Makes me confused.
Old 7/8/08, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I save money if I go with a new Honda Fit. I wonder if I'm doing this wrong.
Old 7/8/08, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

it would take me 54 months for it to be worth it to trade my mustang in for a new 08 Mini Cooper S. And 53 months for it to be worth it for a honda fit trade.

i think ill be keeping my mustang thank-ya very much! and all these dopes trading in their SUV's for tiny "gas sippers" dont have a clue. in the end, we are all driving dinosaurs. gasoline will be a thing of the past. the hybrids are just a step to the next level which is either hydrogen or electricity or what-have-u. so far ive read articles about cars that run on air, water, corn oil and solar power. and the water car is being tested in japan as we speak (it isnt the one that some guy invented and then mysteriously disappeared years back, this one is for real http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrxfMz2eDME)
Old 7/8/08, 06:09 PM

Im not sure what point your trying to make with that link. Its common sense that if you trade in an older car and purchase a new car its going to take some time to recoup the higher price from gas.
If you used that to decide if purchase a new would save you money...you'd never be able to buy a new car. unless you purchased something cheaper than your trade in.

Originally Posted by jonztang
For everyone who owns a Mustang, and has had even a fleeting thought of trading it for a more fuel efficient car.......try this...

http://www.edmunds.com/calculators/gas-guzzler.html

I calculated my 06 GT against several 30mpg cars.....long story short, it would take over 4 YEARS to break even after a trade!!!

That was with my GT getting 21mpg, which is my commute mileage, NOT highway. No matter how I figured it, it came out to be a LOOOONG time to see any gains from switching to a smaller, boring, less-safe fuel efficient car. I am sure that there may be variables for some, and things that the calculator may be off on a bit as well, but I thought this was a very handy tool. Many people are running out to dump their "guzzler", only to find that they are really taking a bath. Shades of the 70's. KEEP THE MUSTANG! (not that was ever really going to get rid of my baby)

In fact, I think I am going to go out and leave a few new lines on the pavement today.
Old 7/8/08, 06:13 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
The point is don't trade a car solely for gas savings. Too many people are making rash judgements buying compact cars to save money on fuel and giving away their SUV's on trade in for what? It's irrational and people should stop and think or analyze the cost differences. If your buying a new car anyway, well then it might be OK, but don't do it solely for that reason. If you must, try buying a used car with good gas mileage that is of equal value to your current car, then you're saving money.
Old 7/8/08, 07:07 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Trading down would make more sense if Mustangs would retain a higher resale value.

I love Mustangs but when it comes to getting rid of them is like stepping on a nail... AAAHHHHHHHH!!!

Old 7/8/08, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I did both.....Mustang and Prius. We got rid of an 11 year old car that was getting 13mpg. It was time to replace it. My wife got sick of putting $85 in her SUV every 3 days (long commute). We sold the old car and kept the SUV (I'll drive it over the winter when the pony is put away). The gas savings over the SUV makes the Prius car payment.

Quick Reply: Car Cost vs. Gas Mileage Calculator