General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Camaro Will go to Production

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/06, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camaro Will go to Production

According to numerous sites/news outlets (http://www.autospies.com/news/Camaro...-by-2008-7440/), GM is going to announce the rebirth of the Camaro on Thursday. Although the article mentions 2008 as its return date, it doesnt make it clear whether that will be the MY or the sale year. Not that this is really much of a surprise to anyone, but I guess GM is just confirming the obvious.
Old 8/7/06, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

yee-haaaa. I can't wait to see the final product. The concept is pretty close to cool and I'd buy one if they tone down the beak a bit. Also depends on timing, and what the Mopar lads do with their pony car.
Old 8/7/06, 11:37 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I just hope production model looks better than concept.
Old 8/7/06, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like that Chevy is being aggressive with the styling (unlike with the GTO), but I'm not a fan of the mish-mash of angles and edges. I'm still waiting for it to grow on me, but I just dont really like the look. It may look better in person, but it's just not for me.
Old 8/7/06, 02:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The local news even did a "Consumer Alert" report on the morning show. All they showed though, was old file video of the last production Camaro. Curious to see what the final design looks like and where they decide to price it.

The news report also mentioned that both V6 and V8 versions would be available.
Old 8/7/06, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

If the production version looks retro, then this car will be a major hit with the Chevy crowd. If it looks like that, it will go the way of the GTO.
Old 8/8/06, 07:41 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 05blackV6
If it looks like that, it will go the way of the GTO.
I doubt that somehow. They wouldn't be building it in the first place had the public's response not been so overwhelmingly favorable.

The GTO had no such early unveiling to gauge response - it was just sprung on us as a rebadged Holden Monaro / Vauxhall "Whatever".
Old 8/8/06, 07:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Cool, I kinda like the Camaro. More choice/competition.
Old 8/8/06, 08:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
I had no doubt
Old 8/9/06, 09:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Chevy needs this car like Ford needed the Mustang. We'll have to see how the final execution actually comes out, but personally I think they need to make some fairly big changes on the production model to make it work. One thing is for sure. If they put the LS2 in there, we currently have nothing to counter. Ford needs a 400 horse either 6.2 or 5.4 option to deal with this car and the Challenger.
Old 8/10/06, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Although I don't mind seeing the muscle car wars revived and having more choices, I think the Camaro concept is way too close to the Corvette. Very similar looks, 400 hp, they are gonna have to tone down the looks and give it the 320 hp V8 to start so they don't mess up Corvette sales. Given that they are still very different overall performance wise, but people who aren't car savy or who are looking to save money might be swayed. Also, if the GTO wasn't under 30 grand, then I don't see the Camaro being either.
Old 8/10/06, 10:20 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Coming in fall 2008 as a 2009 model. The article also mentions the car WILL have an independant rear suspension.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...41/PROMOBLOG01
Old 8/10/06, 10:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Galaxie
Coming in fall 2008 as a 2009 model. The article also mentions the car WILL have an independant rear suspension.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...41/PROMOBLOG01
It's good the Mustang has competition again. Now the S197s have something worthy to kill on the road!

The 2010 Mustang redisgn better have IRS and that 5.8 Hurricane engine to compete with this. You know everyone's gonna point out the Camaro's IRS and bigger engine.
Old 8/10/06, 10:42 AM
I Have Admin Envy

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/10/b...onfirms-camar/

According to this, a V6 version will also be built.

If they use the 6.0L engine as their base V8 motor, the 4.6 will not cut it unless it was supercharged.
Old 8/10/06, 11:11 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Galaxie
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/10/b...onfirms-camar/

According to this, a V6 version will also be built.

If they use the 6.0L engine as their base V8 motor, the 4.6 will not cut it unless it was supercharged.
Z28 or SS might have 6.0L, but I doubt that will be base V8 engine.

Maybe 5.3L from Impala SS?
Old 8/10/06, 11:27 AM

These general specs from Autoblog:
Production of the Camaro will begin in late 2008, and the much-anticipated car will hit showrooms in early 2009, presumably after a massive debut at the '09 Detroit Auto Show.

Not much new, but here are the highlights:
  • RWD with independent rear suspension
  • V6 and V8 versions, manual and automatic transmissions
  • styling will closely resemble the concept car
  • asked about a droptop Camaro, Wagoner would only say, "It will come in many shapes and sizes."
  • no comment on a possible Pontiac Firebird version
Interesting if predictable.

IRS will make for an interesting counterpoint to the SLA Stang, unless Ford finally releases their IRS to counter (somehow finding out how to sell it for less than a 5 trillion dollars and realizing it does handle better than a buggy axle).

Motor selection could be up for much speculation. I would imagine V8s as the 305hp 5.3 as a base (SS) motor to go against the Stang GT with the 400hp 6.0 for the Z28, going up against a speculative Boss/Mach I SE Stang. Undoubtedly also a 505hp 7.0 ZL1 to counter the GT500 would be fairly predictable too. As for the V6, probably one of their pushrod motors unless Ford starts putting in the DOHC 3.5, in which case, they may counter with their 3.9 DOHC (did I get this displacement right?).

Can't imagine they wouldn't do a convertable of some sort.
Old 8/10/06, 11:30 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
that sounds more reasonable than a 6.0 base engine. im glad the car is being produced though. gotta love competition.

and personally... i like the way it looks
Old 8/10/06, 12:47 PM
Cobra R Member

I like the idea of it coming back...can only help keep the mustangs pricing in check...

On a side note,whats with the fanblade design on all three...

Old 8/10/06, 12:53 PM
I Have Admin Envy

There's only so many ways to make a 5-spoke wheel,

I prefer the more sculpted looks of the Chally and Camaro wheel, I am not sure how they will change for production

Hopefully this will compell them to put the IRS in the reskinned 2010 model. The design is surely already complete, but there is plenty of time to make it to production. There is a huge upside to this, they can still make solid axle Mustangs for bare bones GT models and a Mach1 to have to for the drag race fans.
Old 8/10/06, 04:29 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

http://www.fast-autos.net/news/82/
"Traverse City, Michigan/Zurich – GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner announced today that GM will build an all-new version of the Chevrolet Camaro sport coupe based on the award-winning concept that stole the spotlight at the Detroit Motor Show and has ignited the passion of car enthusiasts around the world ever since – even spurring consumers to start petition drives and send in certified checks in hopes of placing early deposits.
“The overwhelmingly enthusiastic response to the Camaro Concept continues to remind me of the uniquely iconic place our products can have in customers’ hearts,” Wagoner said. “Camaro is much more than a car; it symbolizes America’s spirit and its love affair with the automobile.”
Although the Camaro concept vehicle has not yet been shown in Europe, Chevrolet Europe is considering importing and selling this exciting vehicle in Europe. “We are carefully evaluating its market potential,” said Wayne Brannon, Executive Director, Chevrolet Europe. “The all-new Camaro is a vehicle relevant to younger buyers while retaining its appeal to current fans. The best Camaros have always been beautiful to look at with performance that rivals expensive European GTs. Yet they were practical enough to drive every day and priced within the reach of many new-car buyers. We are working on a business case for Europe and hope that this outstanding vehicle will form part of our European portfolio in the future.”
The all-new Camaro will begin with early production versions at the end of 2008 and will go on sale in the first quarter of 2009. “The new Camaro will be almost identical to the concept, a thoroughly modern interpretation of the 1969 model, considered by many to be the best design of the car’s first generation,” said Ed Welburn, GM's global vice president of design, who owns a 1969 Camaro SS. The front-engine, rear-wheel drive sport coupe will feature an independent rear suspension, and will be offered in a variety of models with the choice of manual and automatic transmissions and V-6 and V-8 engines.
Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper said the new Camaro will appeal to both men and women and unite customers with fond memories of previous Camaros with those who first experienced a Camaro when the concept was unveiled in January.
In fact, the Camaro concept design team embodies the universal appeal that Chevy envisions for the car: The core team reporting to the lead designer ranges in age from 27-35 and came from all over the world, yet they all had similar experiences growing up with a love for the Camaro and American performance cars. Their concept redefines the Camaro for both existing and new generations of fans in a contemporary way with responsive performance and modern technology."

Quick Reply: Camaro Will go to Production