GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camaro Convertible in Detroit

Story and Photo gallery of Camaro Convertible being shown in Detroit:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/04/c...detroit-early/

Old 1/4/07, 10:15 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So they painted the mustang fanblades and put them on a camaro?
Old 1/5/07, 01:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

this car honestly looks ugly.
Old 1/5/07, 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

All the chevy people are ranting and raving about the new Camaro. But its still a concept car. Even though Chevy has said that they will build a new camaro we still dont know what the production version will look like. I for one would like to see a production version and a list of the available engines before I decide.

And I agree the fanblades must have been a hit at the Chevy design studio.
Old 1/5/07, 09:57 AM
GT Member

What is with companies doing those ugly-*** silver windshield surrounds? This thing and the Crossfire, both very distracting IMO.
Old 1/5/07, 10:17 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I'm not fan of Camaro concept, but this one looks pretty good.
Old 1/5/07, 10:34 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
22" wheels, at least on the back. You can see it in the high-res photos.

My first thought was the rims were too close to the fanblades also.

After looking at the pics, I think that is a convertible I could own. Along with the Mustang I already have, of course.
Old 1/5/07, 10:43 AM
GT Member

I would agree that this ragtop is WAY better looking than the coupe shown last year.
Old 1/5/07, 10:57 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Those seat designs look funny to me... like 4 thumbs sitting in a car.
Old 1/5/07, 11:31 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL

I hadn't even thought of it, but the headrests do look like thumbnails.
Old 1/5/07, 02:03 PM
Cobra Member

Since this is still in concept form, I'm sure the production version will be different. Having said that, I still don't like the concept (coupe or 'vert) - from certain angles, the inset headlights give the car a half-asleep appearance.
Old 1/6/07, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is a beautiful car, and it remains true to the original 67 which was practically a copy of the mustang, so it had to be a beautiful car.
I still need to see the production car, and I would really like to have that convertible parked in my garage next to my mustang also.
the car is clearly inspired by the mustang, like the first time.
Correect me if I am wrong, But I think I read once that the camaro was similar to the mustang, because there was an engineer from ford that helped created the mustang that went to work for chevy after working on the mustang's design...
Does anyone remember the story??
Anyway, being open minded about ford and chevy, I think the camaro will be a Hit too, I just hope Ford don't mess up the Mustang when the new one come out, that is the only thing I am affraid of.
like they did when the mustang II came out...

I don't really like the crhomed windshield arch either, and in the picture, it looks like when the top will be up, water will come in the cockpit easily unless they really get the top very tight against the windshield...
I could be wrong though.I hope my car is paid for when this one arrives...I don't want to sell my mustang GT ever, I'll save it for my son when I have one...
Old 1/6/07, 01:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I want to know whay Chevy keeps jacking around with the Concept and doesnt bring a production version forward??
Old 1/6/07, 05:01 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No shots of the top up?
Hrm...
Vets look great with the top off, but most of the time that appeal goes away as soon as the top goes up.

The car looks good...not great in my eyes.
I like its overall look, but think its way too busy in the area of creases and cuts...
Old 1/6/07, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

There is something about it that bothers me. I think that its pointless to have a hood scoop and a cowl hood at the same time.
Old 1/6/07, 09:20 PM
Closet American

It seems as though the Camaro will have all the 'stuff' it needs to compete head-to-head with the Mustang, and may even begin to quickly outpace it, given that GM seems determined to make the car available to the European market. That may also be a clever way to amortize the development costs and leverage economies of scale, thus offering a vehicle technically superior to the Mustang for not a lot more money.

It seems to me that Ford will now have no choice but to significantly up the Stang's game for 2010. But I expect to see the Camaro gain a lot of conquest sales during the first half of 2009.
Old 1/7/07, 09:13 AM
I Have No Life

Unless you have seen or know whats in the 2010 Stang... then I'd reserve judgement.

i have a strong feeling Ford will not take this fight lying down.
Read...strong feeling

And with the Camaro concept was shown a little too early.
They should have shown the coupe and vert this year for the first time.

A lot of first year sales will be the die hards for sure.... can it tow the line more than 2 years out? we'll see...
Old 1/7/07, 09:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
A lot of first year sales will be the die hards for sure.... can it tow the line more than 2 years out? we'll see...
This is where I struggle with the Camaro. Yes, it will appeal to the diehard GM gearheads. But beyond that finite group?
Old 1/7/07, 10:53 AM
I Have No Life

Yes, it needs more than diehards...

The mustang is great because it sells to ALL area's not just diehards.
Old 1/7/07, 05:54 PM
Closet American

Honestly, I don't see the new Camaro as being just a "die hard" car. I read a lot of comments on a broad range of message boards from people who like the fact that it is not as retro as the Mustang. They like the retro inspiration - and some of the retro-inspired lines, for sure - but they really gravitate to the car's more futuristic look. This will help.

So will the Zeta platform (one of the best in the world, from everything I read).

So will having IRS.

So will GM's focus on quality interiors for all its new vehicles.

So will the hertitage/history (like the Stang).

As I said, if it costs the same as a 350Z; looks just as good in its own way; has a little bit better chassis dynamics; and a WHACK more power (with the Chevy small block); and is exported to Europe - I think the Camaro will do very well indeed.

You can be sure that GM is going to target all of the Mustang's Achilles' heels, as reported by owners and the press. The question is, how will Ford respond to this? I agree with you that they will probably not take it lying down, meaning that the next generation Stang ought to be quite impressive.

Either way, I think we are shortly about to see the greatest muscle cars ever built from these companies. The new focus on quality and design, coupled with today's technology, combined with the fierce competition between them, should fuel quite a renaissance.

I'm not bothering to include the Challenger anymore, because it will be a limited production niche vehicle, and now that Chrysler is cranking out bad design after bad design; are plagued with massive incentives; and are in bed with Chery, they're pretty much on death watch, IMHO.

Quick Reply: Camaro Convertible in Detroit