General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

BMW 4-Series

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/12, 10:56 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
BMW 4-Series

This is the, thinly disguised, 4-Series concept. Expect the production car to have less fussy bumpers and simpler leather on the inside.

I like it

Old 12/5/12, 11:05 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basically a 3-Series Coupe???
Old 12/5/12, 11:09 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
Yep.....just as the 6-series is a 5-series coupe.

Expect a 2-series to be a 2-door/coupe 1-series.

Can't wait to see the M4
Old 12/5/12, 11:37 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zastava_101
Agreed.

Honest question: What is the difference between this and a 3 Series coupe?

Dave997s where are you? LOL

*sidenote* I can't stand BMW interiors. Those gauges look the same from the 90s! Other than that I think it's pretty cool
Old 12/5/12, 11:57 AM
GTR Member

The current 3-series coupe is based on the older E90 platform......the latest 3-series saloon and Tourer are the F30.

This new 4-series replaces the old 3-series coupe

E90 3-series coupe

F30 3-series saloon
Old 12/5/12, 12:05 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Aaahh Thanks for the clarification TT
Old 12/5/12, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

looks good and for the first time (imo) the interior, somewhat busy, looks up to snuff for this price class!
Old 12/5/12, 06:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Meh. BMW's going to a bad path in my opinion.
Old 12/5/12, 11:46 PM
GTR Member

I love the detail of the headlamps (full LED) and the DRLs. You're not going to mistake this for anything else as it comes down the road

Old 12/6/12, 08:47 AM

Generally quite nice, but for a few details:

Front and rear bumpers: a bit overdone, however, I expect that's probably just the concept car going a bit over the top as concept cars are want to do and they will be toned down a touch for production.

Front fender vent: Excuse me while I turn down my Cheesy Detail Alarm ... there, now, Pep Boys called and wants they Stick'um On Vents returned. Were this some testing prototype with them, I'd say it was just some goofy camo detail. That it's on an actual concept car, and possibly for production, makes me want to go to October Fest in Germany, when and where this element was obviously conceived, because if many steins of German beer does this to otherwise right-thinking men, I want me some of that stuff too. At least it looks like that carbunkle, errr, detail is limited to the front fender stampings so could readily be rectified without them.

Last edited by rhumb; 12/6/12 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12/6/12, 08:55 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Yep.....just as the 6-series is a 5-series coupe.

Expect a 2-series to be a 2-door/coupe 1-series.

Can't wait to see the M4
Its almost as confusing as Mercedes naming strategy (with the exception of C, E and S-Class, I really don't know which model is which by the name alone).

So, there will be 1-Series hatch and then 1-Series coupe will be called 2-Series, and there will also be a 1-Series GT, which is not related at all to the rest of 1-Series because of the FWD and I3 engine ...
Old 12/6/12, 09:03 AM

Yeah, BMW's lineup has lost quite a bit of coherence as they seem to go chasing, *****-nilly, every niche market their marketing department says they should. In the end, they're diluting their overall product identity, integrity and image in this chase. The model numbering contortions only reflect this deeper confusion and lack of direction.

Hopefully, in the future, the marketing sales and marketing departments will return to support operations in service to the design and engineering departments -- that relationship seems reversed the past decade or so.
Old 12/6/12, 11:30 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Generally quite nice, but for a few details:

Front and rear bumpers: a bit overdone, however, I expect that's probably just the concept car going a bit over the top as concept cars are want to do and they will be toned down a touch for production.

Front fender vent: Excuse me while I turn down my Cheesy Detail Alarm ... there, now, Pep Boys called and wants they Stick'um On Vents returned. Were this some testing prototype with them, I'd say it was just some goofy camo detail. That it's on an actual concept car, and possibly for production, makes me want to go to October Fest in Germany, when and where this element was obviously conceived, because if many steins of German beer does this to otherwise right-thinking men, I want me some of that stuff too. At least it looks like that carbunkle, errr, detail is limited to the front fender stampings so could readily be rectified without them.
I agree the bumpers will probably be all the better for being toned down for production.

As for the vents, they are, at least, functional:

"the vents do serve a purpose, extracting turbulent air from the wheelarches, while intakes in the bumper create a “curtain of air” over the spinning wheel. “It’s ornament and function combined in a very BMW way,”
Old 12/6/12, 03:27 PM

Correction:

"As for the vents, they are, at most, functional:..."

Still gaudy as sin though, visually, however well they might work. There are many examples of functional vents much better executed visually.

Last edited by rhumb; 12/6/12 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12/6/12, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

BMW is renaming cars with 4 doors with odd numbers...3 series, and coupes with even numbers, hence the 4 and 6 series. Which is odd because here in the US the 1 series is only available in a coupe while in Europe and Japan it is also a sedan.

The next generation will follow the line up as its moving to now. So the 2 series is going to be coming out.

As much as I like BMW I think they are making a huge mistake..first off to call the new M3 coupe coming out a M4..I'm like what? When I hear M4 I am thinking of this..

Anyway, I love the car and the interior in the new 3 series is actually quite nice. My bro just bought a 2013 BMW 328i Sport with 6MT and it is a very nice car. The pic of the interior in that coupe I can smell the wood and leather through my monitor.

Dave
Old 12/6/12, 07:31 PM
MOTM Committee Member

when I criticize the beamer's interior I'm more aiming it towards it's design. Not so much the materials. The gauges baffle me and I hate the orange/red lighting. I like the rest
Old 12/6/12, 08:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Forgive me if this has already be answered above, because I only skimmed after the first couple posts, but why is BMW calling this a 4 series? It just just the next generation 3 series coupe right? So why not just call it the 3 series? The 3 series is such an iconic car, probably the most widely known BMW model, why would they rename the coupe version? I don't see the point.
Old 12/6/12, 09:34 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Looks like they stole the exterior design from the Audi A5/S5. Not original IMO.
(Dave - funny post!)
Old 12/7/12, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I for one believe I have the last true "M" car, in that the engine was designed by BMW Motorsports, high revving normally aspirated, the block and heads were made in the same factory that makes the block and heads for BMW F1 cars. With the new "M" car now being turbocharged and more pedestrian rev limits, the "M" car are losing a lot of the flavoring that made them special.

You should hear my M3 at 8600rpm with removed primary cats and catback exhaust. The sound from the engine is unbelievable. The induction noise form 8 individual throttle bodies to the exhaust note is aural orgasmic pleasure.

Dave
Old 12/7/12, 04:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I for one believe I have the last true "M" car, in that the engine was designed by BMW Motorsports, high revving normally aspirated, the block and heads were made in the same factory that makes the block and heads for BMW F1 cars. With the new "M" car now being turbocharged and more pedestrian rev limits, the "M" car are losing a lot of the flavoring that made them special.

You should hear my M3 at 8600rpm with removed primary cats and catback exhaust. The sound from the engine is unbelievable. The induction noise form 8 individual throttle bodies to the exhaust note is aural orgasmic pleasure.

Dave
This.

Quick Reply: BMW 4-Series