General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Best new car for under $20K?

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/11, 11:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best new car for under $20K?

I'm going to be buying a new car soon and don't really want to spend over $20,000.

Suggestions?
Old 7/16/11, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is price the only consideration? Do you want/need 2 doors or 4 doors? Is 20 mpg ok or do you want 40 mpg? Truck, SUV, van, wagon, car? Manual trans or auto? 2 seats or 4 seats? Hybrid or gas?

Since this is a Mustang Forum (and even if it wasn't), I'd say one of the best cars you can get for under $20k is a base V6 mustang coupe with manual transmission and no other options. On X-plan and with the current rebates, $20k or a little under should be possible.
Old 7/16/11, 12:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

2 or 4 doors - auto or manual - car only - 30+ mpg - gas
Old 7/16/11, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Golf, civic, fiesta, focus, just go on a test drive spree, I'm sure you will find something you like.
Old 7/16/11, 02:01 PM
GT Member

If you're looking for something a little more unique than the typical econobox, you can get a new MINI Cooper for ~$20k.

-37mpg highway: We average that overall
-6-speed manual
-Better driving dynamics than any of the other econoboxes: Holds it's own in the corners at Sebring
-Free maintenance' for 3 years
-VERY practical because of the hatch: I transported the largest air compressor Sears sells in mine
-Way more roomy in the front than you might think: I'm 6'1 and I can wear a helmet in it

Just throwing that out there, although like the V6 Mustang, it's borderline within your budget.
Old 7/16/11, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

FIAT 500 Sport!!
Old 7/16/11, 06:41 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like the look of the new Jetta, and it starts at like $17,000. Then there is the Kia Forte, Soul, and Optima that are all under 20K new.

Last edited by BA Mustang; 7/16/11 at 06:47 PM.
Old 7/16/11, 10:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
You're not trading in your GT, are you? If I were in the market, I'd probably end up buying a Fusion or a Focus. I've always kinda liked both of them. But I will say that lately the Kia Forte Koup has caught my eye...not bad lookin'.
Old 7/16/11, 10:46 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
a no option fiat sport is 20k.

fiesta

Old 7/17/11, 06:22 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I've been driving a 2012 Focus for the last few days. My Mustang is in the body shop . The Focus has no power. It is quiet with very little road noise and showing an average of 33 m.p.g. Short, in town drives. Has a useable back seat. I did a couple 0 to 60 runs in it. An average of 9.2 seconds. I think Ford is asking a few thousand dollars more than they are worth in my opinion.

It might be best to rent the cars you are interested in for a couple days.

I must add: My V-6 Mustang feels better in every way when compared to the Focus. My Mustang seats feel a lot better and has less blind spots, more solid feel over rough bumps, etc. I would take a base V-6 Mustang over a Focus.

Last edited by David Young; 7/17/11 at 06:42 AM.
Old 7/17/11, 08:51 AM
I'm people, and I like.

my wife and i went test drive crazy as we looked for her new car to replace her '99 mustang.

these are obviously not expert reviews, just quick descriptions, mostly based on the way we felt about the cars after driving them.

she chose the new fiat 500 sport (was less than 20k with a couple of options). very fun car to look at and pretty fun to drive. get ready to get stared out.

i have the fit. most reliable sub-compact car, TONS of storage room (was able to fit a small two person couch in it. would be surprised if it doesn't have the most storage room for a subcompact), peppy when you want it to be, i have it averaging 39.5mpg at the moment. when going 65 on the highway, my rpm's for some reasons stay in the low 2's while with other 4 bangers i am usually in the high 2's, sometimes 3's.

mazda2 was okay. actually had it as a rental for 4 days. fun to drive but that is it. the interior is bare and not too comfortable. does everything decently, does nothing amazing.

fiesta was the one car i was sorta hoping my wife would get. it felt really good sitting in it. the interior felt as if it wrapped around me. the exterior was the big minus. hate the options for rims, the front bumper look (bring the euro look!), and the fogs.

golf looks really nice, but i wasn't feeling the feel of the steering/slow acceleration.

forte is a nice little peppy car. my sister in law ended up buying one. a good decent car.

elantra looks super nice from the inside. the exterior was a bummer though. the ride was good.

focus is a great car! my friend just ordered one in titanium trim and basically all the options. he had rented one (sel model) to come up and visit us. i got to drive it a lot and fell in love with it. the models under 20k don't have all the cool stuff.

jetta had the same problem as golf.

mini (just over 20k) was very fun to drive, especially the way the salesman drove it. best. test drive. ever. but the maintenance cost after the 3 years was ridiculous, all of the reliability issues that it is reported to have, and the price for options steered us towards the fiat.

Last edited by Lalo; 7/17/11 at 08:53 AM.
Old 7/17/11, 11:20 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by thezeppelin8
mini (just over 20k) was very fun to drive, especially the way the salesman drove it. best. test drive. ever. but the maintenance cost after the 3 years was ridiculous, all of the reliability issues that it is reported to have, and the price for options steered us towards the fiat.
FWIW, the majority of the notable reliability issues are related to the turbo engine in the Cooper S and JCW, not the Cooper. High Pressure Fuel pump for direct injection? Cooper S. Timing chain tensioner? Cooper S (and that's fixed for '11 anyway).

My '09 Cooper has had zero problems and we're at 52k miles. That's just ONE car, but it's quite clear the Cooper has fewer problems than the Cooper S. Consumer Reports agrees, too, saying the Cooper has average reliability to the Cooper S's 'below average'. The Cooper is also the 'best value' in it's class and has the highest owner satisfaction according to CR as well.

Anyway, enjoy your 500... I'm sure it does get a lot of attention being brand new. The MINI still gets plenty and they've been around for nearly 10 years, now! It's nice to see small cars doing better in the US. I'm fine with big cars (hence the HD F-150 in my sig), but I think people who buy unnecessarily huge vehicles are missing out on the many advantages of a well-designed small car.
Old 7/17/11, 11:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm going to be retiring in the not too distant future and I WILL be getting rid of the Mustang. I need 2 cars and I don't want to keep the Mustang as a daily driver.

I have a 2009 Civic and was looking at something comparable but trying not to buy the same car again. Keep your opinions and sugestions coming.

Rich~
Old 7/17/11, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blainestang

-Way more roomy in the front than you might think: I'm 6'1 and I can wear a helmet in it

Just throwing that out there, although like the V6 Mustang, it's borderline within your budget.
Haha why would you wear a helmet driving???
Old 7/17/11, 12:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dubya11
Haha why would you wear a helmet driving???
Ha... I don't wear a helmet ALL the time, but I do wear one at Auto-X events and events at Sebring Raceway.

It was just an example of how much room there is if I'm 6'1 and can wear a helmet in it.
Old 7/17/11, 09:28 PM
Cobra R Member

VW Jetta SE with the convenience package. 20k.

Old 7/17/11, 10:28 PM
I'm people, and I like.

It's nice to see small cars doing better in the US. I'm fine with big cars (hence the HD F-150 in my sig), but I think people who buy unnecessarily huge vehicles are missing out on the many advantages of a well-designed small car.
agree with both points! internet high five.
Old 7/18/11, 07:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by thezeppelin8
agree with both points! internet high five.
Old 7/18/11, 08:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
test Drive a new Focus. They are awesome.
Old 7/18/11, 08:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Ha... I don't wear a helmet ALL the time, but I do wear one at Auto-X events and events at Sebring Raceway.

It was just an example of how much room there is if I'm 6'1 and can wear a helmet in it.
I was just messin haha

Quick Reply: Best new car for under $20K?