General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Any L.E.O.'s with a V-6 Charger in here?

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/07, 01:57 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If only, if only...

Old 10/3/07, 02:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moosetang
heh, those 5.0L Explorers can surprise you sometimes.

Yeah, just wait until you lose out to a 3.0 Escape. Granted, when you don't have to worry about blowing stop signs and killing innocent bystanders, it's gives you an easy advantage.
Old 10/3/07, 07:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the cost difference that much in the Chargers for V6 vs V8? What are the requirements that makes a department choose options for its cars?
Old 10/3/07, 12:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by GhostTX
What are the requirements that makes a department choose options for its cars?
$ That's pretty much the answer right there. Departments do order things they need/want, but in the end it all comes down to $$.

We get what we need, not what we want.
Old 10/4/07, 01:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

A V-6 Charger is not what I need! I believe the Explorer was a V-6 version which makes it even worse.
Old 10/18/07, 05:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Finally got an e-mail back from Mr. Bernhardt at Kansas HP about the 4.6 3V's.

Steve,
Thank you for your letter regarding the 3V engine in the CVPI. The PAB has discussed this issue with Ford for some time now. As you have suggested, we too think this would be a great addition to the car. We were informed at the July meeting that it would not be feasible to install this engine in the CVPI at this time. I think it comes down to the cost, as this engine is substantially more expensive than the standard 2V engine. Ford is trying to compete with lower priced police cars and this engine would add substantial expenses (assembly, shipping, tooling, etc.) at the St. Thomas plant. We haven't given up yet and will continue to pursue this option. Thanks for the input.

LT. Brad Bernhardt
Fleet Manager
Kansas Highway Patrol
930 NE Strait Ave.
Topeka, KS 66616

BBernhardt@khp.ks.gov
http://www.KansasHighwayPatrol.org
So it sounds like the fight isn't over yet... but it's probably over. More penny pinching at Ford. I just can't believe that it would be THAT expensive to do. I mean, Ford hasn't spent a DIME on updating the CV's appearance in how many years? They have done very very minimal R&D on the car for the last 15 years. No advertising costs, no new tooling costs. The most significant thing Ford has done to the CVPI in the last 10 years was create an optional fire suppression system. Keyword: optional, and how many of those do you think they have sold? Not enough to make up for the R&D costs I guarantee it.
Old 10/19/07, 02:04 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
You are talking about a company that is has mortgaged the farm and is trying to stay in business on a wing and a prayer. They probably count on the panther cars to reduce some of the losses they are incurring. If not for the F10, Mustang and panther cars, Ford might be in even worse shape.
Old 11/9/07, 02:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well, it's at about 5800 miles now. The brakes have been squealing for a couple thousand miles now. The passenger seat is crowded like no other (I'm training a rookie). We can barely get the trunk closed with all our gear in there. No room for a shotgun rack and only one keyhole(drivers side) which is a pain when you need to open the doors from the passenger side to put an arrested person in the back. I'll never like this car without a V-8. The 6 is okay up high but, there is no go down low.
Old 11/11/07, 06:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Some interesting observations there. It's amazing what you will find out about a car after actually using it for a while. It all looks good on paper, but the real world is what counts.
Old 11/12/07, 01:44 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had one pull into my neighborhood last night. Its still warm as hell in the desert so my windows were open for air. Squealing brakes woke me up, and the **** thing idled like a Diesel, kept me up for 45 minutes 'till he left. Bleh. i would have gone and told him to park somewhere else if I weren't sure I'd end up with an even bigger pain in my **** for the trouble.
Old 11/16/07, 12:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah, the engine idle is crazy. It's normal for a while and then it's like someone stepped on the gas and it idles about 1k rpm's for several minutes(way too loud). Headlights, spotlight and interior lights all get dimmer when it does that too.
Old 11/16/07, 11:49 AM

I think its official: the V-6 Chargers suck. Big time.
Old 11/16/07, 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not as bad as the Aveo I saw in one of my local small towns or the *cringe* later V6 Impalas that I see alot of here in Memphis.
Old 11/16/07, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

.....and to think Chrysler claims they designed the Police Charger from the ground up specifically for Police Service.

The fact is that Ford is the only US company that has built a Police vehicle continuously. Both GM and Chrysler have been on and off with their offerings, and usually they were just stripped down regular production cars.

People like to say Ford started with Police cars in about 1950, but actually with the Model A they offered Police specific options in the form of higher compression heads, higher output generators, 'high speed' gearing, heavy duty interior materials, spot lights etc. These special Police options have been offered continuously since.
It's just that the monicker 'PoliceInterceptor' wasn't introduced until the early '50s.

In 1957 Ford actually offered the Supercharged 312 as an option on Police cars even though some don't reconise that they did. I don't know how many were ordered equipped with it, but dual 4bbl 312s certainly were used by a few Highway Patrols.

I guess we will see what the future holds for the Police Interceptor.
Old 12/27/07, 05:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

I am going on record to say that if I had access to some C4 I would get rid of this Charger in a nice fiery explosion! The radio and computer keep turning off by themselves, the relay/fuse for the siren/air horn/PA keeps going out and I'm pretty sure the alternator/charging system doesn't come close to putting out enough juice for the electronics! The lights (interior and headlights) are constantly pulsing (getting brighter and then dimmer). The "vehicle battery low" icon comes on the computer screen even when the car is running! If you can't tell, I'm really fed up with this junk!
<---This is for whoever thought we need a V-6 Charger.
Old 12/27/07, 07:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Treadhead
I am going on record to say that if I had access to some C4 I would get rid of this Charger in a nice fiery explosion! The radio and computer keep turning off by themselves, the relay/fuse for the siren/air horn/PA keeps going out and I'm pretty sure the alternator/charging system doesn't come close to putting out enough juice for the electronics! The lights (interior and headlights) are constantly pulsing (getting brighter and then dimmer). The "vehicle battery low" icon comes on the computer screen even when the car is running! If you can't tell, I'm really fed up with this junk!
<---This is for whoever thought we need a V-6 Charger.
If you put in a heavier duty charging system you probably wouldn't get that neck-snapping acceleration.
Old 12/27/07, 07:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

I wonder if the Hemi version would be any better? I say this because if Ford ever does away with the Vic's, our vehicle maintenance guy has already said we will be getting the Hemi Chargers for replacements.
Old 12/28/07, 01:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by karman
If you put in a heavier duty charging system you probably wouldn't get that neck-snapping acceleration.
Okay, that made me laugh! It will barely spin the tires in the rain.
Old 12/28/07, 01:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by theedge67
I wonder if the Hemi version would be any better? I say this because if Ford ever does away with the Vic's, our vehicle maintenance guy has already said we will be getting the Hemi Chargers for replacements.
Our traffic division has the Hemi Chargers and my key will work on some of them. I might have get in one and see if it's any better.
Old 12/28/07, 05:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

That would be great!!

Quick Reply: Any L.E.O.'s with a V-6 Charger in here?