General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Any L.E.O.'s with a V-6 Charger in here?

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/07, 02:25 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
SC LEO's have gotten so many different new cars, I cant keep up. Ive seen new CV's, Chargers, Impalas, Yukon's, Trailblazers, and yes, even a Ford Mustang (I heard top speed of somewhere around 175).
Old 7/19/07, 12:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Knight
nothing a bit of gearing couldn't correct.
Yes, but that either means you'd need more gears in the tranny and/or the stomach to withstand worse fuel mileage and a higher cruising rpm from a set of taller gears.
Old 8/3/07, 09:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
Hill said one day he was parked beside the interstate near Malfunction Junction when he pulled into traffic. "I didn't have the blue lights or siren on, and the guy in front of me pulled over and asked, `Are you after me?'"
Hill said he told the guy yes. When he ran the driver's record, Hill discovered the man had seven warrants from the city of Birmingham.
WTH? Is the car hypnotic? Just LOL.
Old 8/9/07, 06:27 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
and yes, even a Ford Mustang (I heard top speed of somewhere around 175).
for a frigg'n mustang? I can't beleive that, they pull so slow from about 110 up, not that I would know anything about that, no sir. I would think maybe 150 tops and if they are governed, then no more than 155, the GT500 is governed to 155, and from what I've read, if it wasn't limited it might do 170ish.
Old 8/9/07, 06:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
for a frigg'n mustang? I can't beleive that, they pull so slow from about 110 up, not that I would know anything about that, no sir. I would think maybe 150 tops and if they are governed, then no more than 155, the GT500 is governed to 155, and from what I've read, if it wasn't limited it might do 170ish.
Yes, with a turbo or an S/C they might just be able to.
The cops shouldn't go that fast, cause we have to pay for the insurance.
If they need to catch some criminal, they do have radios that go really fast.
Old 9/7/07, 07:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by karman
Yes, with a turbo or an S/C they might just be able to.
The cops shouldn't go that fast, cause we have to pay for the insurance.
If they need to catch some criminal, they do have radios that go really fast.
Aww c'mon! I NEED to go that fast! My CV wouldn't go that fast down a cliff.

Guess who's Charger still hasn't shown up even though it promised by the end of August?!
Old 9/18/07, 08:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, it finally showed up today and as is usual with my luck, I am in Field Training Officer School all week. I went by the office to check it out and found out my Lt. was passing out keys to it like they were candy.

I'm not sure anyone bigger than a small child will fit in the backseat. There is about six inches or less from the edge of the seat to the partition.
After speaking to some of the other Officers in my class that have driven one already, I'm not impressed. I will wait to give my impression until I have actually driven it though. I can say that it sounds terrible. It might as well be a 4cyl.

On the plus side though, it still has the AM/FM Stereo CD player installed and it works!
Old 9/24/07, 04:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Some pics of the new junk. From a stop it is dog slow but, from a roll it's about the same as the Crown Vic. It seems to handle well too. It's gonna take some getting used to though. I feel like I'm driving from the back seat.

Old 9/24/07, 08:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Interesting. I wonder how well it will hold up compared to the Vic's. Keep us updated on how you like it. I have not heard much good from other officers that have them. Some of our local departments switched to the Impalas a few years ago, and have begun to switch back lately after lots of complaints from the officers. Also, their maintenance bills went waaay up.
Old 9/26/07, 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well after three days, there is a serious lack of torque(expected from a V-6). It is slower than molasses in January flowing uphill from a dead stop. From a punch at 40-45 mph it seems about the same as a Vic. It handles very well and is rock solid at top speed, but getting there takes a while. It is cramped side to side but, bearable and no room for a shotgun mount. No room in the trunk for anything other than basic gear. No stop sticks since there is no where to put them. I could live with it if it had a V-8 but, it doesn't. I will update when I have more info.

P.S. They left the AM/FM Cd stereo in it which is nice.
Old 9/26/07, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Treadhead
Well after three days, there is a serious lack of torque(expected from a V-6). It is slower than molasses in January flowing uphill from a dead stop. From a punch at 40-45 mph it seems about the same as a Vic. It handles very well and is rock solid at top speed, but getting there takes a while. It is cramped side to side but, bearable and no room for a shotgun mount. No room in the trunk for anything other than basic gear. No stop sticks since there is no where to put them. I could live with it if it had a V-8 but, it doesn't...
So, you're going to write Ford and ask for a Taurus Interceptor with TT-V6, right?
Old 9/27/07, 01:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

AWD yes, FWD no! I would prefer a CV with the 3v in it though.
Old 9/27/07, 06:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've been praying for a 3V 4.6 in the CVPI's since I bought my Mustang and found out what a gem Ford has lying in their stables. It still baffles me why they won't put the 3V in the police cars. More HP, better fuel economy, lighter weight...and to top it all off, being able to say "It's got a Mustang engine in it"...priceless.
Old 9/27/07, 08:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

I actually just sent a kick **** e-mail to one of the Ford Police Advisory Board members. Have a read.

To: bbernhardt@khp.ks.gov

Greetings Sir,
I am writing you for the purpose of making a suggestion about the CVPI, which I dearly love. I found your contact info on Ford's website for the Police Advisory Board. After reading your bio, including muscle cars and drag racing, I knew you were the one that would understand my feelings for the current CVPI. I too drag race, and am an avid fan of all things cars, especially muscle cars.

I work for a small police department in Missouri and our department drives the CVPI's exclusively. I have been involved in several high speed pursuits over the last 2 years. The most recent was involving a 2003 Escape. Long story short, he got away. I never felt so humbled as by losing a V6 small SUV because my CVPI couldn't keep up in city streets. I can make a thousand excuses, but he was the quicker man in the city environment.

I recently bought an 06 Mustang GT and absolutely LOVE the new 3V 4.6L. What a great engine Ford has. It is smoother, more powerful (300hp, 320tq), gets better gas mileage, is a cleaner burning engine, and is much lighter than the old 2V 4.6L. I'm sure it is more expensive to produce, but I believe the benefits would greatly outweigh the costs. Even if the 3V engine is $500 more than a 2V, a mere 1mpg increase in fuel economy would offset that cost in 1 year at 20,000 miles a year. (using 10 vs 11 mpg @ 2.75 a gallon as a guide)

I would LOVE to see this 3V 4.6 in the CVPI. The power increase is desperately needed. 250hp is becoming the norm for even small cars such as a Honda Accord. The nearly 5,000lb curb weight of a fully outfitted CVPI with only 250hp is no match for the average Accord or Camry, even with less hp.

I hate losing the bad guys, I'm sure you understand. Help us get the tools we need to keep the bad guys at bay. Thanks for your time.

Fraternally,
Steve Webb
Sullivan Police Dept
Old 9/28/07, 09:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Cool, let us know if he responds and what he says please.
Old 9/28/07, 09:11 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well written my friend.

Wouldn't it be great if they actually did pony up and stick the 3v into the CVPIs?

that would be awesome for someone like me aswell, a used CVPI would become even more alluring than it already is
Old 9/29/07, 09:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Update:
The e-mail address did not work, it sent it back to me as undeliverable. Sooo....I printed out a copy, signed it, and put it in the mail this morning. I included my e-mail address, so hopefully he does reply. I'll let you know. I would **** a brick if Ford actually did it!!
Old 10/1/07, 06:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

I heard a sad story last night about my Charger while I was not at work. Another Officer was driving it on my days off and supposedly got dusted by an older model Explorer. This was in a neighborhood setting where low end grunt would be needed. Sad but, not unexpected.
Old 10/1/07, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heh, those 5.0L Explorers can surprise you sometimes.

Tell ya: TT V6, AWD, lots of room, a TPI could be pretty **** good. Plus it would be the spiritual successor to the RoboCop cars
Old 10/2/07, 03:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

If I had RoboCop's auto pistol it would be even better!

Quick Reply: Any L.E.O.'s with a V-6 Charger in here?