General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Any L.E.O.'s with a V-6 Charger in here?

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/07, 03:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Any L.E.O.'s with a V-6 Charger in here?

Any other Law enforcement types in here that have a V-6 Charger for their beat car? What are your impressions?

I just found out the other night that my next beat car will be a V-6 Charger. It will be a test vehicle for my department since everyone else in my district got new CV's last Tuesday. I know the HP is the same and torque is 20lb/ft less than the CV but, it weighs a little less than the CV.
So, if you have one or have driven one let me know what you think please. Thanks in advance, Jimmy.
Old 6/15/07, 04:29 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I know the state police here has gotten I think 10 chargers but they got hemi's. Flashbang756 here acctually drives one

Our sherriffs office just got a charger, but havent seen it up close enough yet to find out if its a 6 or 8. Maybe i'll work a wreck and it will be on scene or something.
Old 6/16/07, 01:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah, our traffic division has hemi Chargers but, I have been unsuccessful so far at "borrowing" one.
Old 6/17/07, 06:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're using the 3.5 Chargers. The general consensus is that we would have preferred to have the 5.7 hemi. Although, I must say the 3.5 V6 is more than ample for municipal duty.

We have had the Chargers for roughly 7-8 months. So far they have been very reliable. Our only complaint is that they are not as roomy as the Crown Vics. Minor complaint really.

As for handling and braking, I would have to give the edge to the Chargers. As an aside, we talk with the State Patrol boys often, and they use the 5.7 Chargers. They love the power increase over the Crown Vics.

Stay safe brother.
Old 6/17/07, 07:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Chief has been talking about getting a few Chargers lately. He likes the styling and everything, but it's just a $$ issue because we would have to get totally new equipment for the Charger vs. reusing stuff from the outgoing vics. That is a nice thing about the vics, they haven't changed in like 127 years, so every piece of equipment is interchangeable.
Old 6/18/07, 05:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by exgto
We're using the 3.5 Chargers. The general consensus is that we would have preferred to have the 5.7 hemi. Although, I must say the 3.5 V6 is more than ample for municipal duty.

We have had the Chargers for roughly 7-8 months. So far they have been very reliable. Our only complaint is that they are not as roomy as the Crown Vics. Minor complaint really.

As for handling and braking, I would have to give the edge to the Chargers. As an aside, we talk with the State Patrol boys often, and they use the 5.7 Chargers. They love the power increase over the Crown Vics.

Stay safe brother.
How would you compare acceleration? I would think it would be about the same or slower than a CV.

Thanks for the responses guys. Y'all take care out there.
Old 6/19/07, 03:34 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
That is a nice thing about the vics, they haven't changed in like 127 years, so every piece of equipment is interchangeable.

Yeah i heard the Crown Vic is actually the first automobile ever and was the first ford mass produced before the model T... it was ahead of its time so no one liked it until much later.
Old 6/20/07, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Treadhead
How would you compare acceleration? I would think it would be about the same or slower than a CV.

Thanks for the responses guys. Y'all take care out there.

Actually it (3.5 V6) feels pretty comperable to the Vic.
Old 6/20/07, 03:33 PM
Needs to be more Astony

250hp vs 250hp so they should feel about the same.
Old 6/20/07, 05:19 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by Scothew
I know the state police here has gotten I think 10 chargers but they got hemi's. Flashbang756 here acctually drives one .
Speaking of Flashbang and his charger, he made front cover of the bham newspaper today. Heres a screen shot from thier website.
Attached Images  
Old 6/20/07, 05:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by exgto
Actually it (3.5 V6) feels pretty comperable to the Vic.
Thanks man. The guys are already giving me a hard time about it being a V-6 especially since they know how much I hate slow cars.
Old 6/20/07, 06:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Knight
250hp vs 250hp so they should feel about the same.
The Charger has less torque though to get it going. Once you get the CV going it's not so bad but, from a stop it's a pig. We'll see how it goes in a couple weeks.
Old 6/20/07, 06:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Speaking of Flashbang and his charger, he made front cover of the bham newspaper today. Heres a screen shot from thier website.
I liked this part of the story:
But what Hill likes more are the conversations that the Charger evokes.
"It's a great public relations tool," he said. "That's one thing that I love. I can't go to a gas station without having to talk to someone about the car. I'm a people person, and I enjoy talking.
"This car breaks the barrier. It's a good thing whenever we troopers can talk to the public. It's good public relations, because usually the only time we are talking to people is while giving them a ticket or at a wreck," Hill said.
The Charger also has garnered some strange reactions. Hill had two motorists pull over on the interstate even though he wasn't trying to stop them.
Hill said one day he was parked beside the interstate near Malfunction Junction when he pulled into traffic. "I didn't have the blue lights or siren on, and the guy in front of me pulled over and asked, `Are you after me?'"
Hill said he told the guy yes. When he ran the driver's record, Hill discovered the man had seven warrants from the city of Birmingham.
Old 6/20/07, 07:55 PM
GT Member

Yep, that was fun carrying around the photog and reporter. They were very impressed. I've been doing interviews with paper and television media since Memorial Day weekend. And now since this article has came out today, two other news stations have called requesting more interviews.

The car is a blast though. I'm very lucky to be one of the ten with one.
Old 6/21/07, 06:43 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I hear ya superstar
Old 6/21/07, 06:51 AM
GT Member

I hear ya superstar
Old 6/21/07, 08:01 AM
Needs to be more Astony

The Charger has less torque though to get it going.
nothing a bit of gearing couldn't correct.
Old 6/21/07, 08:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Knight
nothing a bit of gearing couldn't correct.
I hope Dodge thought of that since I'm not spending money it.
Old 6/21/07, 09:06 PM
Needs to be more Astony

I hope Dodge thought of that since I'm not spending money it.
LOL

well seeing that the chargers got 5 instead of 4 gears... i'm hoping dodge was smart enough to gear it better.
Old 7/17/07, 12:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Since I know y'all are eagerly awaiting an update on my Charger, I'll fill y'all in! I found out earlier today (well yesterday now that I see what time it is) that it won't be here until the end of August. So much for a couple weeks!

Quick Reply: Any L.E.O.'s with a V-6 Charger in here?