General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Advice on what should be my next daily driver!

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/11, 05:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts

room for everything
Old 3/24/11, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^
Old 3/31/11, 03:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Ok I got to test drive a loaded 2009 Accord V6 and overall was surprised how it wasn't as sporty as I thought it would be. It was reasonibly quick, very comfortable but did not have that sporty feel I have been used to over the years of owning sporty coupes.

Pros

Very comfortable, near luxury car ride and quality. Thus far has offered the most options for it's price (sunroof, heated leather seats, premium sound) Has a pretty big and roomy backseat for a coupe. Decent MPGs for a car with this power (271 HP) FWD confidence in the snow

Cons

No where near as sporty as I had hoped. Not a great handling car and torque steer sucks!

Overall even with the cons this car so far seems to still be one of my top choices with the best overall compromise of utility, functionality and looks. I think i'm going to pass on the WRX and Mazda 3 because of the bad combo of poor MPGs and premium fuel. With the kind of MPGs I'd get out of a WRX I could be feeding a 5.0 with similar results!

I think my next test drive will be a 2011 Mustang premium V6 coupe. I just wonder how bad it would be in the snow...
Old 3/31/11, 03:18 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Test drive a VW Passat with a 2.0L turbo and 6 speed manual. You won't be disappointed.
Old 3/31/11, 03:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Test drive a VW Passat with a 2.0L turbo and 6 speed manual. You won't be disappointed.

I will definitely check one of those out along with a premium GTI. My only concern with getting a VW or Audi for that matter is durability. I know a lot of VW owners that all seem to have electrical gremlins with their vehicles.

Has your friend had any issues with his Passat yet? Has he had it for a while?
Old 3/31/11, 03:53 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

He bought a 2008 Passat last summer with ~52,000 miles on the odometer. He paid $12,000 which, IMO, is a great price for a car that was $28,000 just two years earlier.
We went to few long trips (first to Chicago, then to Toronto) and car really drives like a dream, even at 130 mph.

Since then he put about 6,000 miles on the odometer. The only issue he had was with a/c, it just stopped working one day and this was like a month after he bought a car. When he bought a car he got additional 2 years/24,000 miles warranty (for free) from the dealership and it was fixed under warranty. That was the only issue.

The same friend also has a 1999 VW Jetta and that car is junk. There is less than 100,000 miles on the odometer and nothing works on that car, it's barely drivable.

I agree with your concerns about electrical issues, I have same concerns too, but I'm starting to trust them more. In fact, I'm going to Europe in May to stay for a while and I just ordered a used 2001-2003 VW Passat Wagon 1.9L TDI diesel from Italy to be delivered to Serbia by the time I get there. I wanted a Ford Mondeo, but nothing beats German diesels in durability (my aunt has a 1985 VW Golf 1.6L diesel with over 400,000 km / 250,000 miles on the odometer and still runs very strong). And VW's resale value is also the highest in Europe.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 3/31/11 at 04:03 PM.
Old 4/21/11, 03:32 PM
Cobra R Member

I took a new Ford Fiesta for a spin but found it too small. I have to admit that the Ford sync is such an attractive item that i'm really leaning towards another Ford, now if I could only get a good deal on a Ford SHO....
Old 4/21/11, 06:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Old 4/22/11, 09:04 AM
Cobra R Member

That thing is pretty sweet, does it come with a 5.0? lol
Old 4/22/11, 10:10 AM
V6 Member

Bought a 2011 WRX wagon two months ago. MPGs are ok worst in town 19mpg, best on highway 29 keeping it under 70mph. MPGs fall quickly anything above 70mph. Only complaint is the stereo sucks. An after market stereo is a must in these cars.

I did get $2000 below invoice on a limited w/o navigation. $27,100.

This car is a rocket to 60, and probably the most fun I have had with any vehicle I have ever purchased.

Another item you need to consider is resale value. Not sure what to expect from the new v6 mustangs, but historically they have had pretty bad resale value.
Old 4/24/11, 05:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by sknapp302
Bought a 2011 WRX wagon two months ago. MPGs are ok worst in town 19mpg, best on highway 29 keeping it under 70mph. MPGs fall quickly anything above 70mph. Only complaint is the stereo sucks. An after market stereo is a must in these cars.

I did get $2000 below invoice on a limited w/o navigation. $27,100.

This car is a rocket to 60, and probably the most fun I have had with any vehicle I have ever purchased.

Another item you need to consider is resale value. Not sure what to expect from the new v6 mustangs, but historically they have had pretty bad resale value.
I agree with past V6 Mustang resale values but the new V6 is something that is actualy desirable and no longer all show and no go. That being said i'm not too concerned with resale value because I will probably own this car for a long time I have been driving my current car for over 10 years...

I'm really liking the WRX but i'm having a hard time finding a good deal on one in my area and I'll admit i'm not too keen on having to use premium fuel. I'm hoping when i'm ready to buy that we will have more info on the next gen WRX coming out in 2012, maybe I can get a good deal on a leftover 2011 or even step up to what I'm assuming will be a better car in 2012. I do love the WRX but I need to get a deal like yours to pull the trigger on a deal.
Old 4/25/11, 08:41 AM
V6 Member

I think the new v6 mustangs are great cars, great value for sure. I bought my WRX right before the tsunami hit Japan. I went to Heuberger Subaru sales; the best deals I could on the net $2000 off msrp (not invoice). Went to my local Subaru dealer and they were nice enough to match the internet sales price of Hueberger. Hueberger had like 14 WRXs at the time, now they have zero. Good luck, let us know what you decide.
Old 4/29/11, 11:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Well the good thing for me is I'm not really in the market for a good 9-12 months... maybe more. I have a free, reliable ride for the next year so I can spend my time looking for the right deal. The latest thing to spark my interest is the new 2012 Subaru Impreza that was just released at the most recent auto show. I'm wondering what they have in store for the WRX version of the upcoming body style and what that might do as far as leftover 2011s when the new 2012s come out. Another thing to consider is that the forums are suggesting that the 2013 Mustangs are going to receive a refresh that might also drop the price of leftover 2012s that are already on dealer lots, so I'm guessing that 2013s will be out by this time next year.
Old 5/3/11, 02:50 PM
Cobra R Member

How bad is the gas mileage and traction in the snow with 2005-09 GTs. I found an awesome deal on a loaded low mile 08 GT. As long as the car is reliable I may even consider this one but it will be a all year car. I know I shouldn't get one but the price is so right!

I've driven S-197 Mustangs but never owned one. I know most people here have this gen I wondering if it would be a wise move.
Old 6/20/12, 01:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Time to update this very old thread.

Those who have followed, by brother is home and took the truck back only to trade it in on a 2012 Ford Escape lol. I actually started daily driving my 97 GT. So far so good, I'm thinking of driving the car for as long as I can so I can get more money saved for a down payment on my next ride the latest car on my watch list is a 2010-11 G37X coupe. This car has the looks, power and all year versatility (AWD) that I wanted. I got a ride in my friend's 2010 G37X sedan and was very impressed I didn't know that Infinity offered AWD in the coupe until I did my research.

so my list has expanded but not much has been eliminated

2010-12 G37X Pros: best looking, performing car 330HP
Cons: most expensive, small backseat, poor MPGs, requires premium

2010-12 Accord Coupe V6 EX-L: 271HP

Pros: best bang for the buck (more equipment for the price), 30mpg, good size rear seat
Cons: torque steer, odd controls, loud on the highway

2010-12 Altima Coupe V6 270HP

Pros: best rebates, 29mpg

Cons: cheap interior, crappy sound system

2011-12 Subaru WRX Limited

Pros: AWD, most fun to drive
Cons: Most difficult to find, poor MPGs, (premium fuel) poor interior quality
Old 6/20/12, 01:50 PM
Cobra R Member

I can buy a low mile used 2010 G37X Coupe for roughly the same price as a brand new or close to brand new loaded Accord Coupe V6 EX-L

The G is an almost 50k car brand new, the Honda is surely going to hold it's value better. I think if I cut down my dunkin donuts habit I can justify the premium fuel....
Old 6/21/12, 10:38 AM

Jumping in here late, but presuming you're looking for something a bit more practical than another Stang, I would suggest the upcoming Focus ST. That thing has the makings of being a VERY fun yet practical car and a great addition to the Ford lineup.
Old 6/21/12, 12:42 PM
Cobra R Member

The focus ST is definitely on my radar, bang for the Buck may be the determining factor, at msrp the accord is the best deal new but I don't know how much I can negotiate price with a brand new model like the focus
Old 6/22/12, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
The focus ST is definitely on my radar, bang for the Buck may be the determining factor, at msrp the accord is the best deal new but I don't know how much I can negotiate price with a brand new model like the focus
Yeah, don't know how many bucks you able to shed on a new ride, but I think the ST will offer a LOT of bang on that side of the equation. However, I'll guess that, given the buzz, there won't be much wriggling on price early on after they're released.

The Fiesta ST, due to be released a bit later, may also be worth consideration if you don't need a lot of room.

Accords are supremely nice in both the best and worst senses of the word: they do little wrong but are a souless bit of transportation appliance in terms of character. Can't go wrong with them, just make sure to drink a lot of strong coffee when driving them though lest you snooze off.
Old 6/22/12, 05:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Yeah, don't know how many bucks you able to shed on a new ride, but I think the ST will offer a LOT of bang on that side of the equation. However, I'll guess that, given the buzz, there won't be much wriggling on price early on after they're released.

The Fiesta ST, due to be released a bit later, may also be worth consideration if you don't need a lot of room.

Accords are supremely nice in both the best and worst senses of the word: they do little wrong but are a souless bit of transportation appliance in terms of character. Can't go wrong with them, just make sure to drink a lot of strong coffee when driving them though lest you snooze off.
That is my fear with the Focus, I know it offers a lot for the money but the way I want one equipped is about 30k. Don't get me wrong I like the ST but not enough to shell out 30k if I can negotiate than I may still get one.

As far as the Accord is concerned, I like the practical side of it. Keep in mind I still have a Mustang as a second vehicle and the new V6s are actually surprisingly quick... 271HP puts in right about in 199-04 GT territory and though I'm willing to sacrifice some practicality with getting another coupe the Accord does offer a decent sized trunk and backseat.

The G37X is the number one car on my radar but it is the most thirsty, expensive to ensure and has the smallest trunk and backseat.

Quick Reply: Advice on what should be my next daily driver!