General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Advice on what should be my next daily driver!

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/11 | 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
I'd say wait for the new Focus with the Titanium trim/handling package since you are considering the WRX 5-door. Won't be as quick, but probably cost less to insure, won't be as thirsty, and still should offer a decent blend of sporting driving and practicality. Oh, and it's a Ford.
the ONLY irking factor I see about the Focus is wrong wheel drive (FWD)
Old 3/11/11 | 04:40 PM
Cobra Member

For just a local runabout, I'd be interested in the Focus Electric personally.

Last edited by Wolfsburg; 3/11/11 at 04:47 PM.
Old 3/12/11 | 01:00 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by chutoyy
Well, among the OP's vehicle options is the Honduh Accord coupe which also happens to be FWD.
Old 3/15/11 | 02:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Knight
'10 SHO. Awesome power, great on gas, plenty of room.

with a base MSRP of $38,000 it is too rich for my blood, though I agree it is an awesome ride.
Old 3/15/11 | 02:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by chutoyy
FWD is great for snow, keep in mind I do plan to keep my 2003 Cobra so I don't need RWD for the winter months
Old 3/15/11 | 02:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
For just a local runabout, I'd be interested in the Focus Electric personally.

I'd like to see and drive the new focus in person, I'm weary of owning something too small. I'm 6'1 220lbs and I feel cramped inside many compacts but the WRX surprisingly is pretty comfy for me. Both the Accord and New Mustang are also quite roomy.

Perhaps it's just me but I don't like the idea of owning one of the first electric cars on the market...
Old 3/15/11 | 02:36 PM
Cobra R Member

I have also have been considering the Altima coupe, anyone like these or have experience with them?
Old 3/15/11 | 03:58 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

My buddy has a Altima sedan ... boring, just plain boring to drive. Those 1990s Buicks are more fun to drive.
Old 3/15/11 | 04:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

GS300 or GS400
Old 3/17/11 | 02:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
GS300 or GS400

cool car, but too expensive at this time in my life. For the same money I'd probably get an Audi A5. What I'm looking for is a combo of looks, performance, mpgs and a price at or under $30,000 so far this is the possible list I have compiled

2011-up Honda Accord Coupe V6 EX-L

2011-up Subaru WRX Premium

2011-up Nissan Altima SE Coupe

2011-up Mustang V6 Premium

2012-up Ford Focus with some kind of sport edition

2009-up used low mile Audi A5 if it can be found for the right price.

I ruled out the possibility of a couple rides I was considering the Mitsubishi Lancer Railliart but I don't trust them because I know a few people who have had reliability problems with them. I briefly considered the Civic si but it was too cramped for me. I am willing to have some overall compromise in performance due to the fact that I still plan on keeping my 03 Cobra. I need something comfortable and capable for a low price.....now if Ford made an SVT Fusion coupe.....

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 3/17/11 at 02:46 PM.
Old 3/18/11 | 02:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
My buddy has a Altima sedan ... boring, just plain boring to drive. Those 1990s Buicks are more fun to drive.

My friend has a 2005? Altima 3.5 I thought it was peppy and sporty for a 4 door sedan. Granted I'm not expecting to match the performance of my Cobra with my daily driver at least not on my budget. But I will keep your comments and mind and make sure I take a thorough test drive.
Old 3/18/11 | 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just don't get the comments about needing to sell a 2 door 4-seat car (like a Mustang) when you have kids. As long as it isn't the primary family vehicle, a Mustang, and most other 2-door cars with a back seat will work fine. We had our two kids 15 months apart, and I didn't have to sell any of my "fun" 2-door cars. We've had one 4-door car most of the time since we've had kids, but except for long road trips, our kids ride in our Mustang and Mini Cooper as often as they do in our Subaru Forester.

While I love our Subaru, of the three cars the OP mentioned in his first post, I'd probably go with the V6 Mustang and a set of snow tires for winter. If snow tires aren't an option, then the Subaru, they are great in the snow (especially with snow tires) but fuel mileage is pretty bad, especially in the turbo models.
Old 3/18/11 | 10:57 PM

Felt like I needed to chime in here.

I think you should take a look at a new Volkswagen GTI. They look good, perform reasonably well, and you can get them in 2 door or 4 door. Fully loaded they are just under 30k.

The interior is amazing, I was just in a 2010 last night and even if you dont get nav you get a sweet screen for your music and stuff, and the cloth seats are super comfortable, not to mention even in the 2 door there is room in the back for normal sized people.

They are also pretty fun to drive, I drove my friends 2007 a few years ago and they feel quick (at least compared to my 2001 integra).

If I hadnt ordered a new 2012 mustang gt I definately would have been coming home with a GTI based on the interior alone but I wanted the extra power.

Let us know what you choose, hope I was helpful.

Oh and p.s. another friend of mine has a wrx base model hatchback, and while it was fun to drive the interior is junk compared to the GTI. I drove that also and think I had more fun driving the GTI even tho the wrx is way faster.
Old 3/19/11 | 01:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by DIABLO GT90
Felt like I needed to chime in here.

I think you should take a look at a new Volkswagen GTI. They look good, perform reasonably well, and you can get them in 2 door or 4 door. Fully loaded they are just under 30k.

The interior is amazing, I was just in a 2010 last night and even if you dont get nav you get a sweet screen for your music and stuff, and the cloth seats are super comfortable, not to mention even in the 2 door there is room in the back for normal sized people.

They are also pretty fun to drive, I drove my friends 2007 a few years ago and they feel quick (at least compared to my 2001 integra).

If I hadnt ordered a new 2012 mustang gt I definately would have been coming home with a GTI based on the interior alone but I wanted the extra power.

Let us know what you choose, hope I was helpful.

Oh and p.s. another friend of mine has a wrx base model hatchback, and while it was fun to drive the interior is junk compared to the GTI. I drove that also and think I had more fun driving the GTI even tho the wrx is way faster.

IS a GLI and GTI the same car in different body style? Thanks for the suggestion. I prefer a sedan body style but I'm pretty sure what the GLI is.....maybe even get a diesel..... now I got the gears spinning in my head
Old 3/19/11 | 09:20 AM

Well I dont know too much about the GLI, but I believe they are very similar. I am pretty sure they have the same engine and performance should be similar (I did not look up the numbers).

Based on a quick read of this review http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review it seems that you do not get the AMAZING flat bottomed steering wheel in the GLI that you do in the GTI and the seats appear to be different in leather, and most likely in cloth form too.

Either choice I think will be great, I prefer the GTI but that may be because I'm 24 and prefer the sporty hatch design vs the somewhat plain looking sedan. Also like I said, aside from an M steering wheel in the BMW 135i I drove I've never felt a steering wheel I liked as much as the stock GTIs. Hope this helps.
Old 3/21/11 | 09:22 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm just starting to test drive cars now. So far I've been able to drive a WRX and a Altima coupe. I like the overall look of the altima better but I think the WRX so so much more fun to drive. Now I'm also considering the Mazdaspeed3
Old 3/22/11 | 07:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I'm just starting to test drive cars now. So far I've been able to drive a WRX and a Altima coupe. I like the overall look of the altima better but I think the WRX so so much more fun to drive. Now I'm also considering the Mazdaspeed3
I was dead set on the MS3 but couldnt bring myself to get it. I had a couple gripes.. 1. the clutch is just impossible. I simply couldnt get a smooth start since it engages so suddenly and harshly... 2. the torque steer. Even when they reduced the power for the 2010+ in 1st-3rd gear it still has so much the wheel will come right out of your hand when trying to shift under WOT.

I did love the suspension and the speed of it though. If they could fix those things, I totally would've gotten it. Although I love mazda's and always will.
Old 3/23/11 | 12:41 AM
FR500 Member

Thought you were looking for a DD that was a little more frugal with the fuel. MS3 and WRX can get pretty thirsty if you keep your right foot tends to be heavy. IIRC, both require premium unleaded too...
Old 3/23/11 | 05:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Thought you were looking for a DD that was a little more frugal with the fuel. MS3 and WRX can get pretty thirsty if you keep your right foot tends to be heavy. IIRC, both require premium unleaded too...

Both of these cars when off the boost are not as bad on gas, but do require premium fuel. I agree though they are not great on gas but the lack of fuel economy in the case of the WRX is it's overall utility (4 doors, useful trunk, AWD). To be honest I am quite conflicted with what to do the good thing is I have time on my side.

Of all the cars that I have been researching the Accord is the one I can get the best deal on MSRP $30,500, I can get it below invoice for $25,650. I can get a Mustang V6 Premium for $24,196 with an MSRP of $26,700. The Accord is better optioned but the Mustang is pretty well equipped too. The WRX is very tough to get below MSRP and is in very high demand.

If this trend continues I'm going to have to weigh the pros and cons of both the Mustang and Accord. I'm probably going to start test driving used, older 2008-up Accord coupes so I can see how older cars of the generation hold up to mileage. I will have to take my chances on the Mustang since it is a first year engine.
Old 3/23/11 | 05:19 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

How about VW Passat?

My buddy has one, 2.0L turbo and 6 speed manual transmission.
Looks so expensive on the inside, very comfortable, great to drive and it's a lot more powerful than 200 hp would indicate.
And pretty cheap. My buddy bought 2 year old Passat with 54,000 miles on the odometer for only $12,000 (and brand new one was close to $28,000).

Test drive it - you're gonna love it.

Quick Reply: Advice on what should be my next daily driver!