General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

4th gereration Camaro question

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/07, 10:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th gereration Camaro question

What is the difference between the Z28 and the SS models? which is more powerful. And are these the stock exhaust pipes?
Old 10/31/07, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jmanpatsfan
What is the difference between the Z28 and the SS models? which is more powerful. And are these the stock exhaust pipes?
Yes those are the stock pipes. The SS has the functional ram air hood, the raised spoiler, the nicer 17" rims and tires, free flowing exhaust, SS badging. I think it had beefier axles too, but not positive. Its rated at 325hp, the standard Z28 was 305/310hp.
Old 10/31/07, 08:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CircuitBreaker
Yes those are the stock pipes. The SS has the functional ram air hood, the raised spoiler, the nicer 17" rims and tires, free flowing exhaust, SS badging. I think it had beefier axles too, but not positive. Its rated at 325hp, the standard Z28 was 305/310hp.
Ah, ok thanks, I always thought the Z28 was the more prominent of the two.
Old 10/31/07, 08:12 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
of course don't be fooled by the rating system. Both the Z28 and SS dyno around 300rwhp.
Old 10/31/07, 09:23 AM
Cobra Member

Yup, SS is mostly just a tarted up Z. As for the exhaust, I think SLP offered a true dual setup as an option near the end of the run, but it didnt change the numbers much, I think that car in the pic just has a y-pipe setup.

Theres no difference in the axles or diff from anything I could find.
Old 10/31/07, 09:30 AM
Needs to be more Astony

True dual has never been offered as an option. The on they did offer is the single pipe going in the one side and both pipes come out the other and have two that are next to each other on the driver side.
Old 10/31/07, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
of course don't be fooled by the rating system. Both the Z28 and SS dyno around 300rwhp.
But dont s197's dyno around 260 rwhp.
Old 10/31/07, 10:45 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by jmanpatsfan
But dont s197's dyno around 260 rwhp.
S197 dyno higher then that i believe.

My point was a 1998 z28 is rated 305bhp yet it does 300rwhp so actually the engine is more like 340hp. SS also dyno the same, they is not a 20hp differnce that gm claims.
Old 10/31/07, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ScottyBoy302
Yup, SS is mostly just a tarted up Z. As for the exhaust, I think SLP offered a true dual setup as an option near the end of the run, but it didnt change the numbers much, I think that car in the pic just has a y-pipe setup.

Theres no difference in the axles or diff from anything I could find.
One of the American Muscle car episodes is about SLP and they show the techs. in their facility pulling the axles on a Firehawk conversion..may not have been the case for the SS.
Ive seen true duals done on one(total custom) but as far as I know SLP only offered the single exit on the driverside cat-back.
Old 10/31/07, 11:19 AM
Needs to be more Astony

My friends dad owns a SS with the ordered the Optional exhaust from factory with 2 pipes on drivers side. His car is a 1997 30th anniversary SS. beautiful car. Maybe they made a single for the LS1.
Old 10/31/07, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CircuitBreaker
One of the American Muscle car episodes is about SLP and they show the techs. in their facility pulling the axles on a Firehawk conversion..may not have been the case for the SS.
Ive seen true duals done on one(total custom) but as far as I know SLP only offered the single exit on the driverside cat-back.

Yeah, the firehawks were a step above the SS's and WS6's. And about the duals, i wasnt sure, apparently i was wrong. Ive talked to some guys at the GM speed shop around here, they said true duals make zero difference from a big single, and i know theyre expensive cause they all have to be custom-fabricated.
Old 11/1/07, 08:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

That looks like a stock SS with stock exhaust. Most everything posted above is correct in that the SS included more visual clues than performance. The SS's ram air is not much more functional than a Z's in that it makes a huge U turn. The WS6's were much better. The first SS's (LT1's and early LS1's) had the dual exhaust exiting on the driver side, then they changed to what is pictured which is not much more "free flowing" just a little deeper than a Z's. There was an optional Center Mounted Exhaust which was free flowing and sounds much better and brought output rating up but it was for the latter SS cars and had to be ordered with it none were sitting on the lots. No true dual setup was even an option. The CME exhaust was the top end and many prefer it over an aftermarket and it is a well sought after kit. A large single might match output on a stockish motor but the TD setups will outflow them with mods. I have them on my Camaro but the had to be fabbed. The SS's came in either auto or Manual but the gears on all auto's was 3.23 where on the Z a 2.73 was standard and 3.23 was optional for the autos. All manuals came with 3.42's. Cars with 3.23's also came with the 1LE aluminum driveshaft (Z and SS). SS's and WS6's also came with the DeCorbon shocks from the factory but some Z's got them as well (mine did) and some of the SS's and WS6's got the Bilsteins (sp?), which many get revalved. The LS1 was the same in the Z, the SS and the Vette. Cam, heads etc was all the same. Tuning was the pretty much the same. The only difference that made the vette's output a little higher was a better exhaust (true duals), and better flowing intake tract. But the vette looses some WHP to the IRS and all 3 dyno about the same from 290-310 bone stock and all turn comparable times depending on options. The ones too look out for are actually the 1SC Z28's which were the "stripper" Z28's that had manual everything (like mine). Mine weighs the same as a loaded SS without the driver with me in it and with a much heavier Ford 9" and all the heavier duty suspension boltons with the spare and jack still in the car. The only Firehawks and SS's that were vastly different was the LT powered ones. The 97 Firehawks and SS's (all 30th anniversary cars) had the LT4 conversion package but there were only like 30 of each of them. All the rest of the stuff was propaganda to sell a more expensive package. If that car on the show had different axles the owner had them put in. SS's, WS6's and Firehawks have more of a collectability bonus than a performance bonus.
Old 11/1/07, 08:47 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Like i said my friends dad owns a 1997 30th anniversary SS. The LT4 was an optional engine and there were about 100 made. His car is the LT1 version as the LT4 option was very expensive.

Maybe the blisteins are on the 1LE package.
Old 11/1/07, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes the Bilsteins were the 1LE forgot to mention that. And the 30 production number was for the Firehawks, like you said about 100 for the Camaros. I'd love to get my hands on a LT4 SS, but alas they are not cheap even now. Most that have them know they are very rare. But even without the LT4 the 30th to me is one of the best color schemes out there. Does his have the white wheels as well? I saw one back in 2001 and almost bought it for 30K but bought my LS1 instead because at that time I didn't know the rare status of the LT4 and mine was cheaper.
Old 11/1/07, 11:23 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Yes his has the white rims, white convertible top and white leather interior. It is an awesome looking car. 6-speed manual.

he barly ever drives the thing. has less then 20k miles on it still.
Old 11/1/07, 12:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No wonder the TransFireMaro went the way of the dinosaurs...they had way too many options!! I can't imagine all those different pieces helping GM to make money on those cars. All that different stuff and you end up with the same car with the same performance level.
Old 11/1/07, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
No wonder the TransFireMaro went the way of the dinosaurs...they had way too many options!! I can't imagine all those different pieces helping GM to make money on those cars. All that different stuff and you end up with the same car with the same performance level.

GT C/S anyone? Maybe a Bullitt is more your taste?

Old 11/1/07, 03:20 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Thats different though. GM did has way to many options on the camaro. Some that no one even really knew about.
Old 11/1/07, 04:29 PM
Cobra Member

I dont think GM had anything to do with the Firehawks did they? And something like an LT4 SS is so bloody rare it would be in the same league as any of the Cobra R's. And the anniversary packages, well Fords done that with their mustangs every 5 years too. If youre talking about the SLP options on the SS, im not too sure how something like that could sink a car.

I think the downfall of the f-bodys was that GM misread the market, apparently people preferred what the mustang brought to the table, which was a little more comfort and refinement (relative), over raw power.
Old 11/1/07, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ScottyBoy302

I think the downfall of the f-bodys was that GM misread the market, apparently people preferred what the mustang brought to the table, which was a little more comfort and refinement (relative), over raw power.
I would have to agree. Thus me buying my 01 GT instead of 01 Z28. I drove a Z and was impressed with the LS1s power but other than that, it just seemed bland compared to the GT.

Quick Reply: 4th gereration Camaro question