General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

30k to spend on a car

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/14, 01:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I really dig the SS but honestly I would never have a manual in a car like that. Just pointless. I am very happy to hear that Ford finally did something right with their automatic transmissions though. The new auto stangs are killing the manuals at the track right now. I'm a fan of a good automatic which is something the mustang has been lacking forever.
I hear ya. And yeah the autos are faster, but I didn't buy my Mustang to go as fast as possible. I bought it for the fun to drive factor.

I do see the attractiveness of an auto in a big 4-door though. Sometimes I wish I had both, my car and a nice 4-door cruiser.
Old 7/24/14, 08:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I hear ya. And yeah the autos are faster, but I didn't buy my Mustang to go as fast as possible. I bought it for the fun to drive factor.

I do see the attractiveness of an auto in a big 4-door though. Sometimes I wish I had both, my car and a nice 4-door 6 speed 500hp cruiser.
fixed that for ya
Old 7/24/14, 08:07 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
fixed that for ya
Yep. So the CTSV is a bad **** but maintaining can get costly just because of the amazing technology in those things. The G8 is the way I would go but just not as sweet as the caddy. I don't see any other options unless possibly an Acura or Lexus. Don't count out Lexus. They are fine cars.
Old 7/24/14, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used M3. Hands down. Always loved BMW's and once I get another vehicle after this mustang, if it's not an SUV, it'll be a BMW. Not that I don't love my mustang. Just want something different down the road.
Old 7/24/14, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by flynavy
Used M3. Hands down. Always loved BMW's and once I get another vehicle after this mustang, if it's not an SUV, it'll be a BMW. Not that I don't love my mustang. Just want something different down the road.
Get your head out of Jeremy Clarkson's ****. A BMW is a good car for 3/36 and that's it. After that it's not worth any price you pay for it. Otherwise I would be cruising a 745 right now but maintenance costs and repairs will break you. Either pay $60k for a new one or pay $30k used and another $2k every time you have to drag it back to the shop.
Old 7/24/14, 10:30 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
. . . probably an S4 . . and an Avant if possible . .

The wheels on that wagon, total
Old 7/24/14, 10:53 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get your head out of Jeremy Clarkson's ****. .
Absolutely. Eff german junk. Never in my driveway. Despite the dam near religious proclamations from skinhead type loyalists.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/24/14 at 10:56 PM.
Old 7/25/14, 06:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Get your head out of Jeremy Clarkson's ****. A BMW is a good car for 3/36 and that's it. After that it's not worth any price you pay for it. Otherwise I would be cruising a 745 right now but maintenance costs and repairs will break you. Either pay $60k for a new one or pay $30k used and another $2k every time you have to drag it back to the shop.
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Absolutely. Eff german junk. Never in my driveway. Despite the dam near religious proclamations from skinhead type loyalists.
Man I must have great luck. Eight years and 130k+ miles with one trip to the shop for a faulty coil on plug. Heck I changed brake pads for the first time at just over 100k miles. These **** junk BMWs man I tell ya lol.........

Id have no fear picking up a nice CPO unit for that price, with CPO warranty for 100,000 miles.

Last edited by tom281; 7/25/14 at 06:02 AM.
Old 7/25/14, 07:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
The wheels on that wagon, total
that wagon is pretty bad 4.2v8 little hauler.
Old 7/25/14, 07:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep. So the CTSV is a bad **** but maintaining can get costly just because of the amazing technology in those things. The G8 is the way I would go but just not as sweet as the caddy. I don't see any other options unless possibly an Acura or Lexus. Don't count out Lexus. They are fine cars.
yea I like the G8 also. Also look at older Jags and aston matins... Yea I said it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311018869944?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITneeds some werk.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Aston-Martin-DB7-Vantage-Coupe-2-Door-6-0L-/131234191401?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Y5AtaTPwyIcasEPvj%252Fowh1tL4As%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
and some winter tires and all is good
Old 7/25/14, 09:02 AM

Yeah but you originally said daily driver so neither one of these will fit that category. You wouldn't consider a Lexus? V8 rwd sedan that really is a sweet ride. I'm personally not a fan of Lexus styling but they are great driving cars.
Old 7/25/14, 10:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I would drive either one of those all year round no kidding. just needs some snow tires. Nothing special about those. I had a Lexus gs 300 for a while it was a great car. Just wanted to get some opinions on what you guys would buy.
Old 7/25/14, 11:29 AM

If repair costs weren't an issue, the Aston has always been a thing of beauty. I wouldn't buy a Jag ever. Don't let the styling fool you. It's not Aston and it's not a very good car. My daily driver would probably be the BMW 745. That you can also get used and very nice shape for $30k. Not because big head Clarkson said he likes them but because they are just impressive machines. They break and costs lots to keep going but wow what a car.
Old 7/25/14, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I had a 328i coupe before the mustang. I absolutely loved it and had zero issues with it. Only reason I got rid of it was I wanted to switch to an American V8 for a while. I love my mustang. I really do. But Top Gear aside, I look at the M3 as the gold standard for all other performance coupes that are relatively in this price range. Even the e46. The e92 M3 is a thing of beauty to me. We all like different things. I'm not saying any of this to belittle the mustang. Because it's quite a capable car. I just think the M3 is on a different level.
Old 7/25/14, 03:18 PM

I had a 328i coupe before the mustang. I absolutely loved it and had zero issues with it. Only reason I got rid of it was I wanted to switch to an American V8 for a while. I love my mustang. I really do. But Top Gear aside, I look at the M3 as the gold standard for all other performance coupes that are relatively in this price range. Even the e46. The e92 M3 is a thing of beauty to me. We all like different things. I'm not saying any of this to belittle the mustang. Because it's quite a capable car. I just think the M3 is on a different level.
I'm shaking my head right now. Sheesh sometimes I feel like the only person with a brain I tell ya. The M3 is a 2dr sedan. Lol.
Really it's just not that special and doesn't perform to match the hype it gets. Now the Z3 M coupe is a great little sports car. The M3 is just a sporty commuter. Nothing more. It's on a pedestal it doesn't deserve.
Old 7/25/14, 03:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
What about the G8? Not quite as nice as the CTSV but a real sweet daily driver. That's if gas mileage doesn't matter. Any of the German cars will be hell to maintain especially if bought used.

I'm with you. CTSV or A G8 to very nice bad azz cars. Beats all the imports and parts are cheap.

If it not a daily driver then an older H/O or a Buick GNX 442 etc.
Old 7/25/14, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm shaking my head right now. Sheesh sometimes I feel like the only person with a brain I tell ya. The M3 is a 2dr sedan. Lol. Really it's just not that special and doesn't perform to match the hype it gets. Now the Z3 M coupe is a great little sports car. The M3 is just a sporty commuter. Nothing more. It's on a pedestal it doesn't deserve.
But a G8 isn't a sporty commuter? It's a bland 4 door sedan that they threw a V8 in. I will agree with you on the CTS-V however.
Old 7/25/14, 03:59 PM

But a G8 isn't a sporty commuter? It's a bland 4 door sedan that they threw a V8 in. I will agree with you on the CTS-V however.
The G8 is just a Holden. Not fancy. Not that sporty. Just strong, no frills, V8 rwd sedan. Comfortable and reliable. Did I mention American and cheap to maintain? Even if money was no factor, the M3 is a suckers car. It's great because people say its great. You don't buy one because you drove one and fell in love with it. You keep hearing how superior they are and just have to have one. Oh yes I've driven a few of them. Weak, uncomfortable, and not impressive inside. They stop well. Lol.
Old 7/25/14, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

The G8 is just a Holden. Not fancy. Not that sporty. Just strong, no frills, V8 rwd sedan. Comfortable and reliable. Did I mention American and cheap to maintain? Even if money was no factor, the M3 is a suckers car. It's great because people say its great. You don't buy one because you drove one and fell in love with it. You keep hearing how superior they are and just have to have one. Oh yes I've driven a few of them. Weak, uncomfortable, and not impressive inside. They stop well. Lol.
I've driven one. On more than one occasion. And I fell in love with it after driving it. I'll just stop talking now...
Old 7/25/14, 08:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

oh Al's just crabby and wants to argue. lol I have always heard get rid of a bmw after that warranty is up. I like them and I am sure there are plenty of good running last lasting low cost used BMW's out there.

Quick Reply: 30k to spend on a car