General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1-Car and Driver first test

Search this Thread

Old 1/24/12, 02:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhumb
The ZL1 comes standard with everything short of the jack handle having a cooler on it and no such restrictions, allowing some impressive 'Ring times (which Ford, oddly, has been hesitant to release for the GT500).
Nothing odd about it, Ford doesn't release 'Ring Times' and, to be blunt, I don't blame them. Ford eased off on this policy several years ago for the Focus RS and, after what was an unmitigated disaster, quietly went back to that practice. This is why you don't see a great deal of Ring Times published for Ford branded cars in general and why you will virtually never find one published by Ford (Focus RS excepted). Of course as with everything that 'policy' could change at any time, but AFAIK they haven't budged thus far.

No rules and no sanctioning body mean that the whole thing is a 'gentlemen's agreement' which works fine until somebody who isn't a gentleman shows up. Cheating is regularly discovered in sanctioned venues, I certainly don't expect that the Ring is populated strictly by saints. Published Ring times are little more than a marketing tool that allow you to tell a fishing story wherein the fish that you caught can be as big as you decide that you want it to be. If you aren't into that, then published Ring Times are utterly pointless.

I don't trust any manufacturers Ring times.

Last edited by jsaylor; 1/24/12 at 02:05 PM.
Old 1/24/12, 02:14 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Driver72

Depends on what you mean by responding to mods.
Honestly, does really anybody short of a drag racer need more than 650 hp in a 3850 lbs car.
That's good enough to outrun supercars from just 3-4 years ago.
I mean, who among us didnt drool over a Ferrari F430 just a couple years ago and would be more than happy and content with it's acceleration ability?
Well the 13 GT500 will accelerate just as fast, if not a bit faster.

There will be few cars who can out accelerate the 13 GT500 and chances of you pulling up along side one by coincidence on the street that can is highly unlikely. And if you do, you nod and say "nice car" as I'm sure they paid much more for theirs than you did for the GT500. Trying to prove who has the faster car at that point in time would be asking for trouble when dealing with cars of that much power and speed, and may very well end one or both of you in jail, hospital, or a grave.
Street racing is dangerous and stupid anyway, but less so in a normal performance car where the "race" can be over in a few seconds and never go above 80 mph.
Dealing with cars that trap 120+ in the 1/4 on the street and you are into triple digit speeds before you know it.

If I get a 13 GT500, the engine would probably remain stock.
I'd mod other aspects of the car to personalize it.
I for one have never owned a sports car that I didn't mod. Regardless of how strong it is from the factory, they will still be mods done. Doesn't matter if my car never gets used to its full potential, it will be modded. Half of the Boss 302's out there have been modded to a certain extent already and it was supposed to be perfect. A person who needs to have 650hp would sure like to have 850hp if easily accessible. There is a reason so many aftermarket companies are in business. Don't turn it into "illegal street racing issues". A majority of buyers want the baddest car they can afford. And some want to kill a Lambo without paying for a Lambo.
Old 1/24/12, 05:48 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I for one have never owned a sports car that I didn't mod. Regardless of how strong it is from the factory, they will still be mods done. Doesn't matter if my car never gets used to its full potential, it will be modded. Half of the Boss 302's out there have been modded to a certain extent already and it was supposed to be perfect. A person who needs to have 650hp would sure like to have 850hp if easily accessible. There is a reason so many aftermarket companies are in business. Don't turn it into "illegal street racing issues". A majority of buyers want the baddest car they can afford. And some want to kill a Lambo without paying for a Lambo.
I would have to agree with Al on this point. Just because 650HP should be enough doesn't mean people aren't going to want more. And speaking from experience once you add more it's never enough.
Old 1/24/12, 08:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss 1409
I would have to agree with Al on this point. Just because 650HP should be enough doesn't mean people aren't going to want more. And speaking from experience once you add more it's never enough.
Oh I've been modding cars for performance since I got my first Mustang 5.0 in 1989.
I know all to well about modding cars.
However, for me at least, and probably 98% of people who DO mod, there is a point where it's not necessary to mod for power any further.
650 hp is probably enough for even the 98% who do mod for additional power.

Yes, most people who do mod (which let's be honest is still a very small portion of the cars sold each year), do so with relatively small power gains.
Meaning, if they have a 300 hp car, they may add an intake, tune, exhaust, and be at 340-400 depending on how well their particular car responds to mods.
But again, there will be VERY few people who own 300 hp cars that are going to mod them to 450+ hp with internals, etc. as that takes a lot more money than just an intake, exhaust, tune on any 300 hp car.
Of the thousands of 505 hp Corvette ZO6's sold how many of them do you think have been modded with over 650 hp?
I'd think 2% or less.
How many have been modded for additional power like intake and exhaust for small power gains? Probably 20-25%

The point, there is probably 2% of the people who DO mod that are going to feel they need more than 650 hp in a road going car, unless they drag race on a regular basis.

There is probably 70% of the people who do mod who will want more power out of there 200 hp performance car.
The more power you start with, the smaller percentage of people who will feel, or actually do mod for more power.

If I do get a 13 GT500, I will surely mod it to meet my modding desires, but having more than 650 hp will more than likely not be one of them. I'll leave that to the 2% or less of people who do mod their 13 GT500 who may want 850 hp. And pun intended, more power to them.

Last edited by Driver72; 1/24/12 at 08:23 PM.
Old 1/25/12, 07:20 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Driver72

Oh I've been modding cars for performance since I got my first Mustang 5.0 in 1989.
I know all to well about modding cars.
However, for me at least, and probably 98% of people who DO mod, there is a point where it's not necessary to mod for power any further.
650 hp is probably enough for even the 98% who do mod for additional power.

Yes, most people who do mod (which let's be honest is still a very small portion of the cars sold each year), do so with relatively small power gains.
Meaning, if they have a 300 hp car, they may add an intake, tune, exhaust, and be at 340-400 depending on how well their particular car responds to mods.
But again, there will be VERY few people who own 300 hp cars that are going to mod them to 450+ hp with internals, etc. as that takes a lot more money than just an intake, exhaust, tune on any 300 hp car.
Of the thousands of 505 hp Corvette ZO6's sold how many of them do you think have been modded with over 650 hp?
I'd think 2% or less.
How many have been modded for additional power like intake and exhaust for small power gains? Probably 20-25%

The point, there is probably 2% of the people who DO mod that are going to feel they need more than 650 hp in a road going car, unless they drag race on a regular basis.

There is probably 70% of the people who do mod who will want more power out of there 200 hp performance car.
The more power you start with, the smaller percentage of people who will feel, or actually do mod for more power.

If I do get a 13 GT500, I will surely mod it to meet my modding desires, but having more than 650 hp will more than likely not be one of them. I'll leave that to the 2% or less of people who do mod their 13 GT500 who may want 850 hp. And pun intended, more power to them.
I hear ya. To each his own I guess. I have a 600hp terminator and believe me it's not enough. Once you get used to 650 Shelby power you need more. Some people may be satisfied but some never will.
Old 1/25/12, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is true.
Old 1/26/12, 06:33 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I hear ya. To each his own I guess. I have a 600hp terminator and believe me it's not enough. Once you get used to 650 Shelby power you need more. Some people may be satisfied but some never will.
Tru'dat, especially with todays vehicles. Its not your dad's 1967 600hp big block whatever with a yestertech clapped out suspension and a motor running on the ragged edge with a carb that acts like a light switch.

Hell its a different world from the SN95/New Edge cars to the S-197's with thier drive by wire systems.

I remember thinking my 07 GT had plenty of power, it was decently quick, then I stepped up to the GT500 and frankly its spoiled me. I've borrowed my mom's 07 GT from time to time and coupled with the fact that its an auto, most of the time I feel like I can get out and walk faster. Even now sometimes I think I could use just a little bit more power.

Last edited by bob; 1/26/12 at 06:37 PM.