General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

2008 Pontiac G8 debuts

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/07 | 11:00 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Did you notice weight numbers?
Yeah, I'm amazed that GM's wonder-platform came in 500lbs over the Mustang GT's "way too overweight" numbers, and mirroring the 300C. Sounds ominous for the Camaro...

Call me crazy but it doesn't thrill me. Sure, it looks pretty good, and a hell of alot better than alot of crap out there. But it's not that much of a step beyond the GTO. Put your hand over the front clip, it still looks too generic. You may not like the look ofthe Mustang, Charger, Challenger, Camaro, or 300, but at least they're distinct.
Old 2/7/07 | 08:56 AM
Needs to be more Astony

pretty cool what gm is doing with pontiac. Its so sad looking at fords lineup. wonder what the price is.

well if the camaro is also built off the zeta we know that it won't be as light as the stang. camaro will be smaller and therfore a bit lighter then the g8.
Old 2/7/07 | 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

The grass is really starting to look greener on the other side, even more so if any of the other rumored Zeta cars make it to market. Come on Ford, the Interceptor and MKR have got to come our way...
Old 2/7/07 | 09:31 AM
Cobra Member

It's the new Holden Commodore with a Pontiac split grille:

So basically it's the replacement for the GTO....

One thing that I don't understand is how everybody is going nuts over 4 door rwd cars. Do they want to haul grandma to bingo or the kids to daycare quicker? Now having more choices is a good thing, but I just cannot understand how teens and single guys would want a 4 door sedan. I have a wife and two kids and we get around in our Mustang just fine. When we need more room for cargo we take the F150.

Two door coupes have been always sporty performance cars. How many 4 door Ferraris and Porsches are there? When trying to buy an old classic car, which ones are most desirable and more valuable? The 2-doors. Which ones are used as parts cars? The 4-doors.

But that being said, I really would like to see Ford do something with the Fusion. Imagine, an SVT Fusion with a performance tuned 3.5L V6 and AWD. It would be a very unique offering.
Old 2/7/07 | 09:49 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
One thing that I don't understand is how everybody is going nuts over 4 door rwd cars. Do they want to haul grandma to bingo or the kids to daycare quicker? Now having more choices is a good thing, but I just cannot understand how teens and single guys would want a 4 door sedan. I have a wife and two kids and we get around in our Mustang just fine. When we need more room for cargo we take the F150.
I think its about having your cake and eating it too. the convenience of a 4 door and having the performance on tap when you want it.

I would rather own a Mustang then the G8 but the G8 would be a great car to use for road trips or daily erands and not having to try to strap a child in a car seat from the 2 door opening like i currently do.
Old 2/7/07 | 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

I also see a bit of the EVO in the headlights, still I think it's a fine looking car, the tail lights are OK, but I still like Fords design of clear tail lights better (Edge and Fusion). I am not in the market for a sedan, but this is a nice (American) option for the segment, as the main option for 4 doors and performance usually come from BMW. Come one Ford build that Interceptor
Old 2/7/07 | 10:14 AM
Needs to be more Astony

I don't think they look like the evo headlights.

Old 2/7/07 | 10:24 AM
Cobra Member

Hmm....well I did say "a bit" . The layout of the front end looks similar to me, but it's not a dead match. Either way GM did a good job and with the numbers (despite weight) this will be a appealing car, way better then the EVO we were discussing.
Old 2/7/07 | 11:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
It's the new Holden Commodore with a Pontiac split grille:

Two door coupes have been always sporty performance cars. How many 4 door Ferraris and Porsches are there? When trying to buy an old classic car, which ones are most desirable and more valuable? The 2-doors. Which ones are used as parts cars? The 4-doors.
John, I had driven 2 door cars in the past for company vehicles, but once I got into an Escape in 2004, the convenience of 4 doors was just much easier to do things on an everyday basis. If I'm going out by myself, the Mustang I have is fine, but when my friends and I are going to a Phillies game, I am the one who always drives (so they can drink at the game), and the Escape I am currently driving now works great for everyone who goes (4 people) and for the cooler in the back. If Ford made something like this, I would ask for it for a demo in a heartbeat. I pretty much have my choice of vehicles at work, and since I own a Mustang, I don't drive a V6 for work, so I take a different car. The next one will either be a Fusion or Edge. Both 4 door, both sporty looking, and both practical. Now don't get me wrong, I'd drive a Fusion coupe if Ford made it, but so far that isn't out yet.
Old 2/7/07 | 02:09 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by instigator311
The grass is really starting to look greener on the other side, even more so if any of the other rumored Zeta cars make it to market. Come on Ford, the Interceptor and MKR have got to come our way...
No doubt that GM is really upping the ante in a big way. This should really light a fire under Ford's **** and get them to make some of GM's "Bold Moves."

On the other hand, I believe someone on this very site views cars like this, and the forthcoming Camaro, as flights of fancy that won't likely see production.

Oops.
Old 2/7/07 | 03:59 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
On the other hand, I believe someone on this very site views cars like this, and the forthcoming Camaro, as flights of fancy that won't likely see production.

Oops.
Do tell, do tell!
Old 2/7/07 | 05:12 PM

This certainly isn't the replacement for the GTO, though it will share the general platform and mechanicals. Rather, this will be a 4-door stablemate to the GTO for those who need the space, room and practicality of a 4-door but want a performance car too -- all rolled into one (not many of us can afford a utility ride and a performance ride both). I think the G8 will make a perfect compliment to the upcoming GTO.

I do hope they've got an even higher perf version in the wings, what with the tire/wheels, brakes and lowered suspension of the "concept car" shown here, backed up by either the full 400hp version of the LS2 or even some version of the 505hp LS7. The aforementioned chassis bits are already in production for the top of the line Aussie Commodore, so it would be a cinch to include that stuff on a hi-po version of the G8, ala the SRT version of the various DCX LX cars.

Pontiac would be foolish not to do such an easy endeavor.

Now with Ford's entry into the full size RWD performance market, we have, well, errrr, never mind... >:-(
Old 2/7/07 | 05:43 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by thezeppelin8
Do tell, do tell!
He knows who he is, that darn Cookie Monster.

Old 2/7/07 | 05:58 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

as i said with the GTo why the hell cane they just leave it alone asnd sell it as is

this is where they should have gone
Once again thank you GM for taking a perfectly good car and ruining it with your ugly Grilles

Old 2/7/07 | 06:26 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Doug- I totally agree with you that the Holden kicks Pontaic's version's **** up and down the street, but the Pontiac version isn't THAT bad... the front is actually a bit better than decent.
Although, seeing how it SHOULd have been released is dissapointing
Old 2/7/07 | 08:32 PM
Post *****

I'm afraid I must disagree here... I kinda like the Pontiac a bit better
Old 2/7/07 | 09:50 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

it's all good..bit i have this serious hate for those grilles pontiac uses on everything. Gimme pure Aussie not some watered down version
Old 2/7/07 | 10:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by burningman
as i said with the GTo why the hell cane they just leave it alone asnd sell it as is

this is where they should have gone
Once again thank you GM for taking a perfectly good car and ruining it with your ugly Grilles
The grille shape looks about the same except for the split in the middle for the Pontiac

Old 2/7/07 | 10:26 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

I'm sure the same comapny that offered the Aussie body panels for the GTO will make the HSV panels available so all isn't lost i suppose
Old 2/8/07 | 06:09 AM
bar
GT Member

If it drives as good as the specs seem to indicate (4Klb weight notwithstanding), and they keep the V8 priced close to $30K, I'm going to have a hard time justifying buying a Bullitt over this (assuming the Bullitt stickers for the rumored $35K+)....

Also, I read (gminsidenews.com) that some dude in OZ got 500miles to the tank (not sure if that was on a V6 or V8 model).

That brings up the DoD question, is that offered on this motor/model?

Quick Reply: 2008 Pontiac G8 debuts