General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

2008 Cadillac CTS Revealed!

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/07, 02:57 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Cadillac CTS Revealed!

Full story plus video here.

Real news comes in the way of a high-output version of the same 3.6-liter V6. It uses direct injection to help deliver 300 hp and 270 pound-feet of torque.

Both transmissions will be offered with the high-output engine, along with another new option for 2008 — all-wheel drive. Borrowed from the SRX crossover that shares its platform, the all-wheel-drive system in the CTS uses an active transfer case to send power to the front wheels when the rear wheels lose their grip.

A richer, higher-quality interior was yet another priority on Cadillac's list of improvements for the '08 CTS. Starting from scratch, the designers gave this CTS a completely different look and feel compared to the current model. The large analog gauges are not only easier to read than before, they look a little more serious this time around. Case in point: The original CTS didn't even have a temperature gauge. The '08 model not only has one, it actually has numbers on it. Nice.

There's a noticeable upgrade in the materials used in the CTS cabin as well. Cadillac says the surfaces for the upper dashboard and door panels are now hand-cut and sewn, which allows for tighter fits and the use of French stitching. We don't know what makes Franco stitching so special, but the seams in the CTS do look pretty good. More attention to detail can be seen in the soft, white LEDs that light up the door pulls and footwells, a feature Audi uses to great effect in the A8.

Can't wait for the V version!

Old 1/8/07, 06:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks pretty good. It doesn't really look much different from the last model, or from any Cadillac for that matter, but I guess the look works for them.
Old 1/8/07, 07:49 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
V model gets the LS7...can't wait.
Old 1/8/07, 08:06 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

pretty good
Old 1/8/07, 08:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Knight
V model gets the LS7...can't wait.
You sure about that? I'd be surprised if it did.
Old 1/8/07, 11:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

That 300hp V-6 meant to meet the competition head on wont be as impressive if Cadillac's strategy of making the CTS one of the larger cars in it's class continues. Otherwise this seems like a well executed effort to match the segement leaders.
Old 1/8/07, 05:26 PM
Closet American

Cadillac unveil video.

Has a pop-up NAV apparently.

And the NVH engineer is a hottie!
Old 1/8/07, 06:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Wow, by far the best application of the Art and Style method of styling thus far. But the V-6 engine options are simply keeping pace with the competition at best which is disappointing. It would have been nice to see Caddy go a more unique route and offer up a bargain-priced, LS2 powered model to show the V-6 powered competition what real muscle is. Ironically, the same would have likely cost less to implement than the 300hp V-6 it will be getting instead.
Old 1/8/07, 06:34 PM
Closet American

CTS variants, including a sport wagon and a stunning two-door coupe, are expected to make appearances as concept cars sometime in the next 12 months. And, of course, there's the much-scooped new CTS-v, which promises 500 to 600 horsepower of real American V-8 muscle under the hood.

BRING IT...

Lots more here.
Old 1/8/07, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm really impressed with this car...and it makes me feel like Ford is just light years behind.
Old 1/8/07, 06:38 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mmmmmmmm yummy!
Old 1/8/07, 06:45 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by rocket88
I'm really impressed with this car...and it makes me feel like Ford is just light years behind.
Yeah, it seems like GM is pulling way out in front of Ford now.
Old 1/9/07, 05:14 AM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Agree with others in wishing Ford would build a something to compete
with this, even if branded as a Mercury or Linclon.
Looks like Caddy is going up against the BMW/Audi/Lexus/Acura sedan market.
Old 1/9/07, 05:39 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Blip
Looks like Caddy is going up against the BMW/Audi/Lexus/Acura sedan market.
Which is right where they should have been all along.

Glad they're getting their mojo back. I would definitely consider one of these.
Old 1/9/07, 05:39 AM
GT Member

Ford has stated many times that their Ford and Lincoln brands are NOT trying to compete against the Cadillac. Cadillac is trying to go international, while Ford and Lincoln are trying to stay domestic. I think the main reason for this is that Ford had so many brands that already compete internationally, like Volvo, Jaguar etc. If they steer Ford and Lincoln cars in a similar direction, they'll be stepping on their own toes. GM doesn't really have that problem. Their big problem is being accepted in the international market. For years, they've tried rather unsuccessfully to penetrate the Euro market. Maybe with their renewed models (better styling mainly on interiors), they might stand a better chance. Only time will tell.
As for the all-out *****-to-the-wall sport sedan market, even though enthusiasts like us might think it's a no-brainer to make a serious entry into that segment, there's little in the way of a solid business plan to support such a move. Like it or not, it's still a niche market, and like it or not, OEM's need volume sales, and profit margins to succeed. High-tech, high-powered sport sedans are rarely confused with being money-makers.
Old 1/9/07, 06:06 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Katshot
Ford has stated many times that their Ford and Lincoln brands are NOT trying to compete against the Cadillac. Cadillac is trying to go international, while Ford and Lincoln are trying to stay domestic. I think the main reason for this is that Ford had so many brands that already compete internationally, like Volvo, Jaguar etc. If they steer Ford and Lincoln cars in a similar direction, they'll be stepping on their own toes. GM doesn't really have that problem. Their big problem is being accepted in the international market. For years, they've tried rather unsuccessfully to penetrate the Euro market. Maybe with their renewed models (better styling mainly on interiors), they might stand a better chance. Only time will tell.
As for the all-out *****-to-the-wall sport sedan market, even though enthusiasts like us might think it's a no-brainer to make a serious entry into that segment, there's little in the way of a solid business plan to support such a move. Like it or not, it's still a niche market, and like it or not, OEM's need volume sales, and profit margins to succeed. High-tech, high-powered sport sedans are rarely confused with being money-makers.
Well said. But I'd just like to add that Ford's current strategy of "business as usual," and building it "on the cheap," and trotting out concepts that are never intended to see production, and... well, I could go on and on - these strategies aren't working.

Volvo has never been a prestige luxury marque in Europe. Jaguar is on thin ice, and Ford may ditch the cat anyway. Lincoln has traditionally always been the other American competitor to Cadillac. I'm not sure Lincoln should "go global," but if competing with Caddy in the home market means building a world class car, then they should do it, for the world is waiting to see if Ford can still build exciting, competitive luxury vehicles that stir passion. They need a halo car for the normal buying public (not talking GT here) that will get people excited about Ford again. Case in point: Properly executed, the MKR could be that car.

Because right now, the buying public is running away from Ford in spades...and witnessing their efforts (or lack thereof) at this year's Detroit autoshow, it's really not all that difficult to see why.
Old 1/9/07, 08:48 AM
GT Member

I don't know, it seems like Ford doesn't waste a lot of money and time on way-out concepts. You go to shows and see the stuff Ford brings and it's usually been thinly disguised pre-production cars. When the Mustang hit the show circuit, it was **** close to production ready, and the same can be said for the Zephyr and Aviator (both now renamed under the acronym naming game). This is kind of like DC who I think is the best at bringing concepts to showroom.