Canada Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Superchargers & BelAir Direct == Removal of Car from Policy

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/08, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Superchargers & BelAir Direct == Removal of Car from Policy

Hi all,

For the past 2 months I've been reading everything I can about supercharging from what gauges to buy to reading over the installation manual for the Whipple HO kit... Well that has now come to a stand still.

booo.. BelAir Direct Insurance can **** *** .

I called them,... and they said "Brakes & Tires are okay" but superchargers we will have to delete your car from your policy. "Have you done this modification? .. If so I have to delete your car from your policy" I said no I'm just inquiring she said "We will be calling you in 3 months to have you get an inspection to ensure no modifications have been done to the car" So much for that, I guess if I proceed it's time to start calling other insurance companies my guess however is most up here in Ontario will not allow it. So I guess I'm outta luck.

The reason I decided to call is... If my car was totaled and they saw the supercharger they could just drop me, and I'd be left with a pile of scrap metal.

So I guess has anyone else done anything like this? Man alive.

Last edited by Fastrack; 4/29/08 at 05:16 PM.
Old 4/29/08, 05:44 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Ben,

There are some guys at GTAMC who have their modifications covered, I don't know which insurance company specifically. Some go through brokers, some guys have to go through facility insurance (high risk, drunk driver, etc)

For me, RBC has a similar way of treating modifications. When I was re-insuring my winter beater (89 Aerostar) they asked me if it was modified (WTF??). In any case, I keep any parts that I may have changed, in the event that my car were ever to be crashed, the only place it would be towed is my home, if you get my drift.

FYI my mustang is bone stock
Old 4/29/08, 05:50 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Do they offer a stated value policy? Might be your best bet - maybe worth asking.
Old 4/29/08, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Galaxie
Hey Ben,

There are some guys at GTAMC who have their modifications covered, I don't know which insurance company specifically. Some go through brokers, some guys have to go through facility insurance (high risk, drunk driver, etc)

For me, RBC has a similar way of treating modifications. When I was re-insuring my winter beater (89 Aerostar) they asked me if it was modified (WTF??). In any case, I keep any parts that I may have changed, in the event that my car were ever to be crashed, the only place it would be towed is my home, if you get my drift.

FYI my mustang is bone stock
Yeah I said "I have some questions about modifications" and she said "will that be for the 1994 Taurus".. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do have all the parts for mine as well.... I can't play that card now however I think the Whipple might be a hard to swap out after an accident so that wouldn't really be an option anyway.

I created a topic over at the GTAMC forums ... We'll see if anyone helps me out it is my first post... even though I registered ages ago (Feb 2006)

Originally Posted by StillenMustang07
Do they offer a stated value policy? Might be your best bet - maybe worth asking.
What is a stated value policy? This is my baby so I do want coverage on it, it's been stored for the last 3 winters and doesn't have mark on the paint anywhere!

It's not like I'm high risk either! I don't have a single ticket.. not even a parking ticket. buggers.

Last edited by Fastrack; 4/29/08 at 08:42 PM.
Old 4/30/08, 09:25 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by Fastrack
What is a stated value policy? This is my baby so I do want coverage on it, it's been stored for the last 3 winters and doesn't have mark on the paint anywhere!

Stated value policies are what many collector car enthusiasts insure their vehicles with. Here is a link that somewhat explains the different types of insurance:

http://www.lelandwest.com/What_You_Should_Know.cfm

Here is a link to Grundy - probably one of the largest specialty car insurers around:

http://www.grundy.com/default2.asp

Good luck with getting your insurance thing all figured out.

Page
Old 4/30/08, 10:24 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Shoulda called as 3rd party man....

Now you're on the watchlist.

I'd like to actually see a list from insurers as to what is good/bad mod
or is it all hearsay on the phone.

Crappy way of doing business, but they know they have you by the nads.
Old 4/30/08, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boomer

Bah yeah I know we discussed that, but to be honest whatever I don't care if I'm on their watch list. As I said to the looooser on the phone if I do this modification I'm going elsewhere and he even gave me a # of Powell Insurance Brokers!... as I guess they get this all the time. The person yesterday didn't know anything. The person I spoke to today at least knew what a supercharger was. I don't want to be left with a pile of scrap metal after they deny a claim.

They did assure me that my car is still insured.

Last edited by Fastrack; 4/30/08 at 12:17 PM.
Old 4/30/08, 12:29 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on the company, but many will not bind a policy on a car knowing that it has any 'race' modifications. These include CAI's and even lowering kits. Stupid?-Yes.
Insurance companies have become more restrictive on this, and you can thank ricers for it.
Old 4/30/08, 08:23 PM
Banned

Well the Fast and Crap movie(s) come to mind.. Yes I'm very bitter at this point!

What if BelAir sees my modified exhaust or the JLTII intake they'd **** - so obviously I would remove that before they see it. Anyone know if they can just arrive at your house?? I sure the heck hope not.

Hopefully my license plate bracket is an "okay mod"....

What about the the recent "street racing" bullcrap ... What happens when they pull you over for speeding or the exhaust is a little loud.. who the heck knows ... And they say "Sir pop the hood" can they take the car away? Was that ever passed? I know they wanted to.... mfers. Up until now I cringed everytime I heard a fart can.... it's gonna be worse now!

I never been pulled over by the police except a "ride check"... but I guess that doesn't count", I keep a really low profile. It's looking more and more like this was never meant to be.

I wonder what Summit Ford out by the Airport thinks about all this... As when I was searching for a dealership to buy my car... the guy told me flat out they can do superchargers etc... no problems.

Does anyone know if the Ford Racing Whipple can be installed in Canada as a dealer install option? - I guess that doesn't matter now.......................................

I guess it's all good in car land until the OPP pulls you over...

On a plus note I did order the MGW shifter tonight
Old 5/1/08, 07:07 AM
I Have No Life

Just make sure you're only going 49km over the limit man, you should be OK

Exhaust (as long as you don't mess with emission ) is ok

I think I was told tires/brakes/CAI, stuff like that is ok.
Turbo's/Superchargers... uh..no
Old 5/13/08, 06:31 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just make sure you're only going 49km over the limit man, you should be OK

Exhaust (as long as you don't mess with emission ) is ok

I think I was told tires/brakes/CAI, stuff like that is ok.
Turbo's/Superchargers... uh..no

All depends on the cop. According to their little rule book, any modified exhaust can result in a ticket. Even if you get a muffler from Canadian Tire and slap it on there. If the db is higher than stock he could ticket ya. No worries though, as it hasn't happened to me yet.
Old 5/14/08, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

****! Do they let State Farm insurance do business up there in the Peoples Republik Of Kanada?

State Farm has no problem insuring my 500 Horsepower Supercharged GT500. They know what it is, my Insurance agent has gone for a ride in it.
Old 5/14/08, 01:59 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I am with state farm and when I put my first claim in (after being with them for over 18 years) they tried to cancel my policy on me claiming that lowering my car and adding the shaker turned it into a street racer. I got into quite the argument with them until they changed their mind. Now they want to know about every single mod I do.
Old 5/14/08, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have all my Mods insured through my Insurance company including the Vortech Supercharger. I had to provide a list and pictures plus cost of each Mod. Total Mods $15000+ and it cost $9 a month for the coverage.
Old 5/15/08, 03:37 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Black GT500
****! Do they let State Farm insurance do business up there in the Peoples Republik Of Kanada?

State Farm has no problem insuring my 500 Horsepower Supercharged GT500. They know what it is, my Insurance agent has gone for a ride in it.
See that's the problem.
It's not so much the car, ... its the fact that you would do that to a car that doesn't have it in the first place.
Stupid...we know.
Old 5/15/08, 05:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

hmm so if i supercharge my car it will ruin the insurance and they wont cover it :/
Old 5/15/08, 10:31 PM
I Have No Life

If you don't tell them about it, they may not cover the replacement of it, or the car.
Yes they can void it.

This is the whole reason Fastrack wanted to check with the insurance company first.
To make sure if he got one, it would be covered.
Their policy states that they do not insure those 'kinds of cars'

Time to start shopping around for different companies mah man...
Old 5/15/08, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

hmm i with state farm i wonder if they allow it :/