Canada Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Got my license. Anyone know anything about graduated licensing? :P

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/06, 07:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my license. Anyone know anything about graduated licensing? :P

Hey guys,
So today I turned sixteen and got my G1. I was the first guy in line this morning. I got it the first instant that I possibly could.

Anyways, for you younger guys who have gone through the graduated licensing system since '94 I just had a coupla (or one) questions.

Say I decided that I wanted to drive on a highway while I still had my G1 (accidentally of course :P ), and happened to be stopped by the police . What would the legal and/or insurance repercussions of this be?

Also, if I drove in the states with my G1, and was pulled over, would there be any problem with having this type of license?

Thanks guys,
Colin
Old 5/18/06, 08:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAIL TIME,,,, ahhaha i have no idea can't help you but i think its not worth it
Old 5/18/06, 09:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Its not THAT illegal. At least I hope not.
Old 5/18/06, 10:40 PM
V6 Member

I have no idea if the rules are the same there as they are in BC. But here in BC as long as you have your "L" displayed and have the required 25 or older person with you, you can drive anyway providing you are within the regular rules of the road... eg... no speeding etc.

I know if you are caught in violation of any rules of the road the penaltys are extremly steep, and can include anywhere from incredibly high fines to suspension of license or even losing your license...

as for the driving in the states, i wouldnt risk it, i guess it would depend on the state and if they considered the learners to be enough...

but again, this is what happens in bc, don't know if its the same out east, but I imagine the rules would be similar
Old 5/19/06, 12:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

You should do some thorough checking of the Law in Ontario.

In Sask. you lose your License for a period of time related to the
Infraction then start over Again, Tests and Driving.
plus the Fine.
You are definitely playing with a Pointy Stick.
Old 5/19/06, 06:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by korinwoodo
Hey guys,
So today I turned sixteen and got my G1. I was the first guy in line this morning. I got it the first instant that I possibly could.

Anyways, for you younger guys who have gone through the graduated licensing system since '94 I just had a coupla (or one) questions.

Say I decided that I wanted to drive on a highway while I still had my G1 (accidentally of course :P ), and happened to be stopped by the police . What would the legal and/or insurance repercussions of this be?

Also, if I drove in the states with my G1, and was pulled over, would there be any problem with having this type of license?

Thanks guys,
Colin
I never took the chance and drove on the highway until I got my G2, yeah I missed the switch over by about 3 months.

You must always have a licensed driver in the car with you. And you can not drive on any highway that has posted speed limits of over 80km/h.

Consider taking an approved driver course (not to learn, cause I'm sure your parents can do that). But your insurance rates will be MUCH lower.

Also if you take the course, get your G2 in 8 months, and your G license 2 years after that. I ended up waiting (And almost missed out, because they were so booked with apointments).

During your driver course, he/she can take you on the highway. But your parents or any other licensed driver (must be for at least 3 years) can not.
Old 5/19/06, 07:08 AM
I Have Admin Envy

I don't know what the fines would be, but take a good driving school course and you can get your G2 in 8 months like ben said (I got mine in 9). You can actually take 5 years from the date you got your G1 to get your G as I recall. I failed once after a year, then I waited another year or so and got it.

I'm guessing that will be a hefty fine, there would probably be some demerit points involved.
Old 5/19/06, 11:45 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just a heads up.
Get the G as soon as you are available to.... (after the 8-12 months after the G2 entrance exam)

From what I remember, your star rating for insurance will NOT start till you get your full G....
.... so waiting the 4 years with the G2, like I did... made me pay more in the long run for insurance...
Old 5/19/06, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boomer
Just a heads up.
Get the G as soon as you are available to.... (after the 8-12 months after the G2 entrance exam)

From what I remember, your star rating for insurance will NOT start till you get your full G....
.... so waiting the 4 years with the G2, like I did... made me pay more in the long run for insurance...
I believe G2 is 2 years from when you get it. I waited too, and yes your star rating / insurance discount does not start until your in G.
Old 5/19/06, 12:02 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Canada has different grades of licenses? weird.
Old 5/19/06, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Knight
Canada has different grades of licenses? weird.
Ontario does
Old 5/19/06, 04:21 PM
Bullitt Member

can some one explain the canadian lincese system, im confused what is G G2 G1 etc... im just courious on the way thing work
Old 5/19/06, 04:44 PM
I Have Admin Envy

This is just for Ontario only,

12 years ago they introduced Graduated licencing because too many 16 year olds were getting their licences right away and causing a lot of fatal accidents.

G1 - You can get it at age 16, it is a written test. It is essentially a learner's permit

The restrictions are;
-zero blood alcohol content
-no driving on major expressways
-no more people in the car than seatbelts
-no driving in the middle of the night (12:00-5:00am)
-a sober person with at least 5 years driving experience riding shotgun
-a label on the rear window with an "N" indicating a new driver (I never did that, I think they got rid of it)

After 12 months, or 8 months of an accredited driving school, you can take a closed, controlled road test for your G2

G2 Restricitons:
- Zero Blood Alcohol Content
- Maximum as many people in the vehicle as seatbelts

Within 5 years of getting your G1 and at least a year after getting your G1, you can take your G exit exam. It is an all-encompassing test about 45 minutes long with city, highway, and parking tests. Once completed, you have a full G licence which is the standard across the province.
Old 5/19/06, 04:57 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So once you get the G you can drink even if you are aren't 21?
Old 5/19/06, 05:56 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Chris,

In ontario, age of Majority is 19, in Quebec, Alberta and somwhere else, you can buy beer at 18.

Most Ontario border towns are crowded buy under-21 Americans looking for a good time on the weekends.
Old 5/19/06, 06:15 PM
V6 Member

In BC the restrictions are:
-Qualified superervisor age 25+ required and maximum one other passenger
-Restricted to 5:00am to midnight only
-0% blood alcohol level
-Must clearly display new driver sign in window.

Here it is 9-12 months with you "L" or Learners (with the above restrictions)

Then you get your "N" which means you are a new driver, this means that you can now drive on your own, still limited to one passenger, zero blood alcohol and I think another restriction on time, but don't quote me on that one yet. I think this stage last 18-24 months, but don't quote me on that either.

After you have passed a test after having your "N" you now have a full license which means you now only have the regular restrictions that everyone else has
Old 5/22/06, 07:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hmm. Thanks guys.
After witnessing my driving skills on the roads over the weekend, its probally a good idea to keep me off the highway until 8 months from now. :P Thanks for the tips about insurance thing too. I think I will take it.

Im one step closer to that Mustang now.
Old 5/22/06, 10:11 PM
Cobra Member

Hah, sounds like we get a sweet deal in Alberta compared to the rest of you guys. First of all, like most places (i think) learners is 14, and 16 is your real license. They just started the graduated thing here like 2 years ago.

On a graduated class 5 there are a few restrictions. No driving between midnight and 6am, zero tolerance for alcohol even if you are 18, and thats about it. Still allowed to drive on the highways and everything. O ya, and you have to have your graduated license for the first 2 years of your class 5. after that you take another test and get your regular license.

I still have mine just cause i havent got around to taking that stupid test. None of these rules are enforced here though, except probably the alcohol one which hasnt come up for me.
Old 5/29/06, 01:28 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally Posted by korinwoodo
Hmm. Thanks guys.
After witnessing my driving skills on the roads over the weekend, its probally a good idea to keep me off the highway until 8 months from now. :P Thanks for the tips about insurance thing too. I think I will take it.

Im one step closer to that Mustang now.

If you're already thinking about ways the break the law, do me a favour and PM me when you head out on the road so I can steer clear of you. Don't get me wrong, we all break the law sooner or later, but the LAST thing you should be thinking about is how to get on the highway once you have your G1. That's like a new motorcycle rider saying "hey, when can I get my Hayabusa and that beer?".

Hmmm...maybe it's worse then that, because it's actually breaking the law!

Anyways, I'm trying not to preach, but PLEASE. We all thought we were perfect, invincible drivers when we started. Hopefully you'll take it slow and take Young Drivers and learn the right way from the right people. Don't make an officer take away your G1 just because you wanted to drive on the highways. It's harder then you think when you first start out!!

OK best of luck, you'll do fine

Kristina
Old 5/29/06, 03:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Rondosa

If you're already thinking about ways the break the law, do me a favour and PM me when you head out on the road so I can steer clear of you. Don't get me wrong, we all break the law sooner or later, but the LAST thing you should be thinking about is how to get on the highway once you have your G1. That's like a new motorcycle rider saying "hey, when can I get my Hayabusa and that beer?".

Hmmm...maybe it's worse then that, because it's actually breaking the law!

Anyways, I'm trying not to preach, but PLEASE. We all thought we were perfect, invincible drivers when we started. Hopefully you'll take it slow and take Young Drivers and learn the right way from the right people. Don't make an officer take away your G1 just because you wanted to drive on the highways. It's harder then you think when you first start out!!

OK best of luck, you'll do fine

Kristina
Thanks for the "concern" or what not . I was only quasi serious. I don't really intend on doing it but I was curious what would happen if I did. I've already driven a lot since the 18th (around Mississauga+Oakville, and up Highway 27 to Barrie and around Muskoka) . Im in the process of doing the Young Drivers right now, the classes are really boring though. I think (hope) that I am improving. It seems that there are a lot of crappier drivers than me on the road (or at least it seems that way lol ) And I promise I won't and drive and kill you guys.

Thanks,
Colin

Quick Reply: Got my license. Anyone know anything about graduated licensing? :P