Mid-Atlantic Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

So MD Mustang Club 3rd Annual Mustang & Ford Show-La Plata, MD

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/06, 01:28 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So MD Mustang Club 3rd Annual Mustang & Ford Show-La Plata, MD

The Southern Maryland Mustang Club will be hosting it's third annual Mustang & Ford Show, Saturday, September 16 from 9-3 at the La Plata Safeway on US Route 301 in La Plata, Maryland. This show is open to any and all Ford/Mercury/Lincoln bodied and powered vehicles. Awards will be presented to the Top 20 vehicles based on participant vote, a Sponsor's Choice and a Greyhound's Choice. The entry fee is $15.00 if received by September 1, or $20.00 at the show plus a non-perishible food item for donation to the Southern Maryland Food Bank. Dash Plaques will be awarded to the first 50 vehicles. This show benefits Greyt Expectations Greyhound Rescue and The Southern Maryland Food Bank. For more information, please visit our website http://www.somdmustang.org.
Old 9/5/06, 08:00 PM
V6 Member

Just a quick bump. The date is fast approaching!
Old 9/14/06, 10:52 AM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Wish I could be there, heard you all put on a good show.

However, I'll be over on the Eastern Shore watching my son's
95lb football team play against Queen Anne, so I can't make it.

Maybe post some pictures afterwards, if you can.
Old 9/26/06, 07:25 PM
V6 Member

The show turned out good, despite the weather and some problems with the local grocery store that didn't like cars in their parking lot. We had 40 vehicles enter and collected a trunkload of food for the Southern Maryland Food Bank. Pictures can be found on our club's website http://somdmustang.org/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=14.

Thanks to everyone that came out and made it our third sucessful show!
Old 9/26/06, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm Must be a different store manager @ The Safeway! the manager at the old store was always charity and car friendly /shrug

Wish i could have made it
Old 9/27/06, 07:16 AM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures, glad the rain didn't stop it.

We didn't get back across the bridge until after 4pm,
so there was no way for me to make it down there.
Old 9/27/06, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hwyman3
The show turned out good, despite the weather and some problems with the local grocery store that didn't like cars in their parking lot. We had 40 vehicles enter and collected a trunkload of food for the Southern Maryland Food Bank. Pictures can be found on our club's website http://somdmustang.org/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=14.

Thanks to everyone that came out and made it our third sucessful show!
Great pics Greg!

Sorry you had bad weather but it looks like you had a good turnout
Old 9/27/06, 07:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Rapture
Hmm Must be a different store manager @ The Safeway! the manager at the old store was always charity and car friendly /shrug

Wish i could have made it
In the end, everything turned out great.

I don't understand what went wrong with Safeway. We talked to them back in May, and asked them if we could use the parking lot. They were excited, especially when we told them we were holding a food drive along with the show and last year we raised 249lbs of food for the Southern Maryland Food Bank. We were told by Safeway that we would need permission fromthe owner of the shopping center. The owners agreed to allow the show to take place. Fast forward to September 16. We set up and cars are starting to roll in, then the manager came out of Safeway. He started complaining that we had used his parking lot for the past 4 weeks (kinda hard to do when we have only one show every year) and we couldn't block off the parking lot and block access to his gas station. I told him that we did not comprimise access to his gas station (we purposely set up the show grounds to not interfere with ANY of the businesses in that shopping center) and we blocked off that section to allow for pedestrian safety. He understood why we did it, but we couldn't block off the lot. Well, we left the tape up the entire day until we left. We also told him how we were a draw for his store, especially when anyone exhibiting a vehicle was required to make a food donation! That didn't phase him. He complained that he had been trying to hold events there for a long time and couldn't because of the owners of the shopping center and that this would be the last car show there. That's fine, they are starting construction on a new Giant right up the street!

It's really sad that this happened, but oh well. We will have another show next year, location TBA.
Old 9/28/06, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry to hear you had those problems. The day of the show is not the time for that kind of mess. If Safeway had a problem then they should have told ya well in advance.
Old 9/28/06, 08:07 AM
V6 Member

Exactly. But hey, at the show, we had a restaurant in the next shopping center that would love to host us, and therre is a Food Lion and Wal-Mart right there for the food drive. Oh well!