Midwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Iowa Buddy Holly Plane Crash Site

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/08, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Iowa Buddy Holly Plane Crash Site

Visited the Buddy Holly plane crash site again during a 2008 4th of July summer cruise back to Clear lake Iowa. This was my home town as a boy and we were back there for our family reunion gathering.

With a map as provided by the Surf Ballroom Museum (the last place they all played the night before the music died), we drove North of town for about 5 miles, out to the crash site area. Then Mrs. and I walked West for over a 1/4 mile, along a farmers bean field, on a very light trail, to locate this history site again!

At this site on the fence line, is a very wonderful shrine with Buddie's, Ritchie's and the Bopper's names on it. Shrine is made out of polished stainless steel and shaped as three of their big hit records and a life sized guitar. There were so many flowers, coins, cards, messages and even a big black 57 Chevy model car there on the ground all around the shrine too! Note that there is a big black and white post, that marks this site for you. So you can see it from a distance, when you are searching the area from the trail.

So if you love what they all gave us for our Rockin Roll History and find yourself travelling on I-35 in Iowa between Des Moines and Minneapolis. And if you consider yourself a oldies fan. You might just want to take about a one hour quick sidebar trip, To go out to see and touch a true piece of American Rockin Roll History here. Right there in North Central Iowa!! Also be sure to bring your camera along for this too!! As you will want to share this moment with all of your Mustang friends!! Good luck on this one gang! It will be time very well spent, if you are a Rockin Roll history fan!! CalStang

P.S. Could not get our pictures to upload here, as they were just too big! Sorry for now...

Last edited by CalStang'07; 7/11/08 at 06:47 AM. Reason: additions
Old 7/10/08, 08:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
link them..I wanna see..!
Old 7/10/08, 09:22 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
That is an incredible piece of American history. Wish to see it someday. Buddy was a Texan and an icon here.