West Coast Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Hiway 37 from Vallejo to Navato in NorCal

Old 9/2/07, 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiway 37 from Vallejo to Navato in Northern California

My wife and I just returned from a drive over to the Santa Rosa, Ca. area. We took Hiway 37 from Vallejo to Navato north of San Pablo Bay. What a mess that was driving east to west. Hiway 37 narrows down to one lane. We were stuck bumper to bumper.

Returning from the Santa Rosa area, we had no trouble driving west on Hiway 37 from Navato to Vallejo. But when we looked at traffic going in the opposite direction (west bound), it was all backed up.

Maybe it was so bad because the Bay Bridge had been closed and maybe more traffic was taking Hiway 37 ? The Bay Bridge should be re-opened to traffic by now.

If hiway 37 west bound is always that bad these days, I'm going to take a northern route next time. I'll take hiway 20 west from I-5, then down through the Clear Lake area, and over to Calistoga, then over to hiway 101.

Does anybody know if hiway 37 west bound is always so bad or was this just a temporary thing because of the closure of the Bay Bridge?

If nobody replies that hiway 37 west bound traffic has improved with the re-opening of the Bay Bridge, you might consider taking an alternate route.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.
Old 9/2/07, 10:07 PM
Bullitt Member

why is the bridge closed?
Old 9/3/07, 06:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 07 HOSS Mustang
why is the bridge closed?
Repairs. It's temporary. Should be open tomorrow (Tues. Sept. 4).
Old 9/10/07, 02:15 PM
GT Member

37 has been like that for years. The CHP ranks it as having the worst Milage Death Rate of any highway in the state, so its crowded AND dangerous.

Yes, the traffic was worse because of the bridge closure, but that road is gridlocked any holiday weekend (certainly Fri. and Mon. of a three day). On any normal weekend, its crowded, but its not gridlocked. Also, check the Infineon Raceway schedule---hit that highway before or after a race and you are in trouble.

As for taking 20 through Lake County: I grew up there and have a home there: thanks for adding to the traffic issues we are dealing with there

Option: why go way north to 20, then cut south down 29 to Calistoga???

Take 80 to Vacaville, get on 505 and take 128 from Winters to the Napa Valley and take Highway 29 North to Calistoga, take Petrified Forest Road over to Santa Rosa.

My .02. Happy driving!