Southwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Question for The Border States

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/10, 05:45 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question for The Border States

Why is there so much traffic between the US and Mexico? Any time I see anything about (legal) border crossings, there's always hundreds of cars lined up seemingly in both directions. Do we have a lot of people who live in the US and work in Mexico? Go shopping there? School?

Just curious, I've always wondered. I could see trucks transporting goods, but so much of it seems like passenger traffic.
Old 10/17/10, 06:08 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know alot of people go to the beach in mexico. But more so I think people are going to visit family.
Old 10/17/10, 08:07 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
People that live in the U.S. go back to Mexico to visit family. They are often resident aliens, first generation citizens, etc. They work here and send money home. I have a painter that works for us that goes home to Mexico every other weekend. At Easter and Christmas time the workers all go to Mexico to be with family.

I know many of them like our painter, roofer, and framing carpenter are very rich by Mexico standards. They own businesses on both sides and we are at least 3 to 4 hours from the border here.

Also there is a lot of shopping that goes on between the border towns. Pretty much everywhere in Texas there is a large American border town there is also an equally large Mexican city just across the river. McAllen/Brownsville and Matamoros. Laredo and Nuevo Laredo. El Paso and Ciudad Juarez.

I won't go near the border. Especially not over it. Our painter complains that he has to pay protection money to the city police, state police, and even Federales down there. The only people that don't hassle him are the Mexican army. He said if he ever gets pulled over he's looking at being $100 lighter when he's done. Plus the cartels are kidnapping or just killing people.

***** crazy!

Old 10/17/10, 08:12 PM
I lust for a M24

I'm over a thousand miles away so my info is heavily filtered, but from what I've seen there's no way in hell I'd go across the border for some shopping, etc. Family I can understand, but it still seems like the border gets a lot of traffic for what I see as minimal reasons.
Old 10/17/10, 08:16 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I'm over a thousand miles away so my info is heavily filtered, but from what I've seen there's no way in hell I'd go across the border for some shopping, etc. Family I can understand, but it still seems like the border gets a lot of traffic for what I see as minimal reasons.
Gringos hardly ever go anymore. At least not the ones I know. Gringos around here used to go for prescription drugs, the lower (18) drinking age, outpatient medical procedures, untaxed beer, liquor, and cigs.

But the people that I know are all Mexicans or Mexican-Americans. They have fewer problems on the other side than say John from Ohio or Gary from Texas have. You see?
Old 10/17/10, 10:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mexico is one place where going by air makes a lot of sense.
Old 10/18/10, 04:28 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
But the people that I know are all Mexicans or Mexican-Americans. They have fewer problems on the other side than say John from Ohio or Gary from Texas have. You see?
Si'
Old 10/18/10, 05:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
we should invade Mexico and take it over
Old 10/18/10, 05:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cause the Mexico toilet paper is horrible.....they come over here to go #2. lol
Old 11/30/10, 07:43 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm out here on the border. El Paso/Juarez, most of the traffic is people that work on the US side and live in Mexico or like they mentioned before just going back and fourth visiting family. Plus most folks drive over here to El Paso to shop at WalMart and the nice malls..
Old 11/30/10, 10:16 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2BlownStangs
I'm out here on the border. El Paso/Juarez, most of the traffic is people that work on the US side and live in Mexico or like they mentioned before just going back and fourth visiting family. Plus most folks drive over here to El Paso to shop at WalMart and the nice malls..
This man speaks the truth. The lines get that much longer when there are large shopping days like Black Friday, or when Christmas gets closer. They enjoy doing all of their shopping over here because Juarez doesn't have too much to offer. When the outlet mall opened with a Puma store, there were a few men from Mexico literally just grabbing hundreds of pairs of shoes to buy, take back to Mexico and sell for 2-4 times more than what they paid.