Southeast Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Going to the Gator Nationals!

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/07, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Going to the Gator Nationals!

Perry (Mustangshadow) and I will be going to the Gator Nationals on Saturday I can't wait, I am so excited. Is anyone else going? I am going to try and take some good pics I love watching drag racing.
Old 3/15/07, 07:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Haha, I think I would probably make a trip out if I weren't home for spring break. It's my home town and I won't even be there. Hope yall have fun!
Old 3/16/07, 08:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We'll be there all day Sunday for eliminations - pit side reserved, up close to the starting line
Old 3/18/07, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Here are some of the pics I took. I know they are not professional quality ( I am still learning my cam ) So here they are as is no editing:

I took this one to show some of the times these care were getting (Crap, photobucket shrunk the pic so you can't see it, it says 4.63 @ 327! )

Some of the fast action ones are dark because I had the cam set on 1000th if a sec to freeze the action (thus not allowing enough light to expose the shot) I took some of the pics after the cars left the tree!

Enjoy!

Can't wait to see the pics Dave took....wish I could have went Sunday too
Old 3/19/07, 12:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

First let me say that any fan of any sport, whether it be drag racing, NASCAR, golf, tennis, baseball, football, etc. owes it to him/herself to see at least one event live in person to truly experience what it's all about. Yes it's nice to see it from the comfort of the couch with instant replay and snacks and a bathroom within easy reach. But the TV doesn't prepare you for or relate the sheer power/rage/violence of a nitro powered car. Even just idling in the pits, it's like nothing you've ever experienced - NOTHING (unless you're in the Armed Forces or NASA - that doesn't count). I'd also recommend that you get the full experience by standing as close as possible when the first fire one up Make sure to cover your ears or you'll be sorry My wife and I got "baptized" into the world of Nitro on Sunday morning when they fired up Dave Grubnic's TF car. 10 seconds later we were both gasping and tearing up - good times Once a fuel car is fired up at the starting line, get ready for the full force of what they're capable of. They don't even run on all cylinders for the burnout, and that alone will dern near stop your heart. Then when that last yellow light fades, hell is unleashed - the ground shakes (and I'm not kidding - we were 32 rows up and the stands shook), the air rips open as both cars rocket 1320 feet in 4.5 seconds at over 325MPH. Just go - if you like watching drag racing, this is the top of the food chain. I'm not an autograph hound, but I had definite souveniers I wanted, and that was pics with all 4 members of Team Force. I got 3 of them, plus another driver I admire a lot. With that, here are my pics:

With Robert Hight, #1 qualifier in Funny Car

With John Force himself

With Top Fuel driver JR Todd, 2006 Rookie Of The Year

And the 3rd member of JFR I was able to track down, Eric Medlen. He liked my jacket

EDIT 3/20/07 1228pm ET: Eric was seriously injured in a crash while testing at Gainsville yesterday afternoon. He's currently in critical condition at Shands Hospital at this time. Folks he needs your prayers big time. Eric's one heck of a nice person and it's very obvious he has a zeal for life and loves what he does. I have every confidence he'll pull through. There are updates on http://competitionplus.com/index.php...=2129&Itemid=6

This stuff comes in 500lb drums

And a couple of vids:

Ron Capps unleashes hell in the pits:

And Larry Dixon vs Bob Vandergriff in Top Fuel
Old 3/19/07, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree Dave. Unless someone see nitro cars in action, they just can't imagine it. I try to describe it as a sound that goes in your ears and out your toes. It is the most incredible thing you can hear. I swear, two nitro cars are louder than 43 Nascar cars.

Great pics, too! I have a bunch of photos like those in my archive.
Old 3/21/07, 10:11 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

The wife and I were there Sunday, didn't I speak to you at a consession stand line?
I'm the old guy in the Redline Oil t shirt, holding 2 sodas and a couple of hotdogs.

Great pictures, can't wait to get home and post some of ours.

TDS
Old 3/23/07, 04:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Talking

Originally Posted by TDS
The wife and I were there Sunday, didn't I speak to you at a consession stand line?
I'm the old guy in the Redline Oil t shirt, holding 2 sodas and a couple of hotdogs.

Great pictures, can't wait to get home and post some of ours.

TDS
Post up those pics Tommy, then I'll know if I talked to you in line
Old 3/23/07, 09:41 PM

This was our first year to the Gatornationals and words cant explain. I think the t shirt I bought says it all
"You have to see it to BELIEVE it"

The sound, the Power

I have to go and take a cold shower