2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Is your GT 'moody'?

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/06, 07:46 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Weirdest thing leaving work this afternoon- pulled out in the parking lot, lifted my foot off the gas, and felt engine braking for the first time ever without a six second delay...was probably 50-60 degrees out, warmest air Ive driven it in, but what a difference- was as if it had a cable throttle. 5 minutes later it was back to its old 'delayed idle' mode...stopped and tried the calibration thing someone posted, immediately felt even longer delay at lifting...perhaps its related to cold engine/relatively warmer air, but I was happy as heck for a few minutes...lifting the pedal actually slowed the car, made that neat little exhaust cackling sound...Ive decided this factory drive by wire tune SUCKS worse than I'd thought- the engine CAN feel like its hooked to tha gas pedal. Anyone else noticed odd changes in their cars behavior without changing anything? I was honestly waiting for CEL to come on, it was running so much more crisp...felt like a real gas pedal for the first time...sadly its back to 'normal' now...

Took a 50 mile roadtrip(had to pick up Dave Gilmours new CD- 'Island Jam' on bonus disk is a GREAT instrumental) tonight and no changes, no CEL or anything(CEL has never came on yet to date- 1300 miles). Something else weird- got home and popped out the CD(no shaker here) and disc was toasty hot...guess I had it a little loud, and also would guess the amp is inside the standard stereo unit...probably not a good idea to crank for extended periods as that disk was HOT- bet output transistors were near roastin. Noticed something else tonight- with stereo off on the highway, my front tires were making the exact sound you hear when bouncing a basketball on concrete...that kinda snare drum like ringing noise (for lack of better description) sound at every seam in the road...very odd. Wondering if heatshield underneath might be ringing a bit, with the corrugated shape would probably make odd noises...no biggie, just turn on the radio, or step on the gas [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 3/7/06, 11:03 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea my car is moody....when its really cold, my climate control acts up...im waiting it out for another week or so to see whats going on. heres the issue.

i start my car one morning and the climate control is fine, i put it on the vents from the dash and it works. i get in the car later and have it on vents and its coming out from the foot area. im cursing and everything. its like that the next day, then suddenly works again when i turn the car on. its fine for a day then does it again. then its fine for like 3-4 days now currently, back to the problem. i will get it checked out but i wanna see if the warm weather will hit and this still continues to happen. i think maybe a vacuum can be loose or something perhaps??
Old 3/8/06, 12:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

get it tuned. have the deceleration timer set to like 0 or 1 seconds. i had mine done. like as soon as i let off the gas, it starts decel and makes all the cool sounds and slows the car down without the brakes.
Old 3/8/06, 08:16 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Didn't know a tune could do that. Thanks.

Mine runs AMAZING when I first start driving it. (doesn't matter the weather) but then after about 5-10 minutes of driving goes back to normal. Can a tune set the car so it always feels like it does in those first few minutes?
Old 3/8/06, 08:26 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ March 8, 2006, 9:19 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Didn't know a tune could do that. Thanks.

Mine runs AMAZING when I first start driving it. (doesn't matter the weather) but then after about 5-10 minutes of driving goes back to normal. Can a tune set the car so it always feels like it does in those first few minutes?
[/b][/quote]

Mine is the exact same way. I thought I was looney. Glad to hear someone elses car acts the same. Or someone else is looney [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/8/06, 10:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
I'll get the engine braking right around 1900-2000 rpm. That's the sweet spot where she really rumbles on engine deceleration.

Sometimes I'll lift early just to let her coast down through those revs.

It is almost sick how much fun this car is. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 3/8/06, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Not stang related, but how is David Gilmour's new CD? Is it Pink Floydish? I was watching VH1 classic last night and they had an hour of Floyd vidoes on and was thinking of buying his new CD
Old 3/8/06, 10:46 AM

I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if this was already asked but has anyone else experienced a dead
spot in the first 1/4" to 1/2" of gas pedal travel.I am so used to feathering the throttle when releasing the
clutch and this "play" keeps throwing off any chance of a smooth leave. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] (not that I do to many cause
I just love smokin the hides!!!)
Old 3/8/06, 10:25 PM
legacy Tms Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Laser98 @ March 8, 2006, 12:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Not stang related, but how is David Gilmour's new CD? Is it Pink Floydish? I was watching VH1 classic last night and they had an hour of Floyd vidoes on and was thinking of buying his new CD
[/b][/quote]
the CD was way different than I expected...its good, but had to listen thru it a couple times to let it grow on me a bit- HOWEVER: get it at BestBuy, it comes with a bonus disk, one extra 6 minute instrumental 'island jam', and it is awesome. if you like ed Echoes or Marooned, guarantee youll like it- great instrumental, very bluesy, but I honestly think its one of his very best pieces of work. I put another 100 miles on the car tonight, disc on repeat, just driving around thinking, man this is as good as it ever gets...great weather/great car/great tunes...I could listen to this one instrumental forever and not tire of it- ever.

I got to meet Gilmour back in '88- local radio station WONE had 'show us your pinkfloyd' contest- we got front row- the guy shootin 'delicate sound of thunder' video(Wayne Isham) saw us outside with a pig bodied R/C helicopter, he had me fly it inside the richfield coliseum in front of the stage a couple hours before the show, and brought Gilmour out about 1/2 hour before the show to see it...Scott Page was on sax that tour, and took a ton of video ( hes holding the camcorder in this picture) and I have corresponded with him- he promises to get me a copy of the pig-heli footage whenever he gets the time [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Speaking of sax- Gilmour apparently isnt only a wizard on guitar- he plays a great Sax on one song on the new album.
My first son shares Gilmours birthday too...Mentioned that to Scott, he told me his wife and Wayne Isham are also march 6th...just a little trivia [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I need to find a clearer pic, but not on this computer...heres a bad scan I put up a while back- Gilmours standing with hands clasped, I'm on the left - I had more hair/less belly back then- still cant believe I wore a Skynyrd shirt to a Floyd show and got to meet anyone [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xgmguy @ March 8, 2006, 12:49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if this was already asked but has anyone else experienced a dead
spot in the first 1/4" to 1/2" of gas pedal travel.I am so used to feathering the throttle when releasing the
clutch and this "play" keeps throwing off any chance of a smooth leave. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] (not that I do to many cause
I just love smokin the hides!!!)
[/b][/quote]

somewhere in here they mentioned the recalibration thing- turn key on(dont start) wait about 5 sec for lights to go out, floor it, release, turn key off. It changed mine, did make it respond better at first touch, but seemed to increase the decel delay???maybe engine just heat soaked after shutting down- its more pronounced on mine as soon as it warms up a bit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RaGsHoCkEy88 @ March 8, 2006, 1:06 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
yea my car is moody....when its really cold, my climate control acts up...im waiting it out for another week or so to see whats going on. heres the issue...............
i think maybe a vacuum can be loose or something perhaps??
[/b][/quote]
not vacuum- I thought same, bought factory service dvd off ebay, schematics show its motor/feedback pot for blend/vent doors...good news though, as I'm pretty sure playing with a couple resistors(maybe a thermistor on hot/cold blend for 'thermostat like' climate control) it can be tweaked without tearing the dash apart. If I figure out mine I'll certainly share how [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paris MkVI @ March 8, 2006, 12:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'll get the engine braking right around 1900-2000 rpm. That's the sweet spot where she really rumbles on engine deceleration.

Sometimes I'll lift early just to let her coast down through those revs.

It is almost sick how much fun this car is. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

mine always drops to around 2k, but no lower without a full 6 seconds delay.
Old 3/9/06, 05:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Mine is moody in that when I start her up in the morning sometimes the car is VERY responsive to the throttle and sometimes its a bit sluggish.
Old 3/9/06, 02:16 PM
GT Member

Thanks to this thread I understand now how the car is operating. I checked
today and after letting off the gas the revs stay put. The only way to drop 'em
is by pushing down the clutch.

So I'll ask the question then: Is it possible to switch out of drive-by-wire and
if so at what cost?
Old 3/9/06, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
ford4v429, My GT's Pirelli's make the same noise. Kind of like an over inflated basketball bouncing on concrete just like you said. At first, I thought they were over inflated from the dealer. But after checking the air pressure cold, they were set correctly. I guess that's just the sound of these tires. I've never heard tires sound like that when you go over road seams. A friend of mine told me that's because the Pirellis are not very compliant tires. I don't know if thats good or bad. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 3/9/06, 02:48 PM
legacy Tms Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scarpi @ March 9, 2006, 4:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ford4v429, My GT's Pirelli's make the same noise. Kind of like an over inflated basketball bouncing on concrete just like you said. At first, I thought they were over inflated from the dealer. But after checking the air pressure cold, they were set correctly. I guess that's just the sound of these tires. I've never heard tires sound like that when you go over road seams. A friend of mine told me that's because the Pirellis are not very compliant tires. I don't know if thats good or bad. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I'm still not convinced the sound isnt from elsewhere...the corrugated heat shields span quite a distance between mounts...might try stuffing some fiberglass insulation under just to see if it sounds any better...but couldnt leave that way as it would rub/rot the floor...but would rule it out easily...
Old 3/9/06, 03:25 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FordFun @ March 9, 2006, 3:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks to this thread I understand now how the car is operating. I checked
today and after letting off the gas the revs stay put. The only way to drop 'em
is by pushing down the clutch.

So I'll ask the question then: Is it possible to switch out of drive-by-wire and
if so at what cost?
[/b][/quote]
What you just described is normal for a car with a manual transmission. I think they are talking about the RPM's staying up once the clutch is pushed in and the transmission is taken out of gear.

My '03 was real bad about the RPM's coming down slowly once you took it out of gear. Either the '05 isn't as bad or I've gotten used to it. I'll have to check on the way home.
Old 3/9/06, 03:59 PM
legacy Tms Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ March 9, 2006, 5:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What you just described is normal for a car with a manual transmission. I think they are talking about the RPM's staying up once the clutch is pushed in and the transmission is taken out of gear.

My '03 was real bad about the RPM's coming down slowly once you take it out of gear. Either the '05 isn't as bad or I've gotten used to it. I'll have to check on the way home.
[/b][/quote]

yeah, on mine (once warm now) when shifting it stays at 2k with foot off the gas, clutch pressed. If putting around town, and short shifting, rpm actually will increase when clutch pressed. Very odd. Currently for some reason when engines cold though, it drops to <1k at shifting, and lifting in gear,gives immediate engine braking.
My car since new always, (now only when warmed up a bit) has had a six second delay at highway speeds from time pedal lifted, till engine braking kicks in at all- once it starts to drop, it drops quickly, and slows the car...reminds me of a buddies old gm vortec 6 cyl pickup truck- it had some high-idle dashpot thing that made throttle shut veeeerrrrryyyyy slowly below a couple k.