2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes or No? Painted Stripes UNDER the Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/08, 01:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Yes or No? Painted Stripes UNDER the Hood?

I was thinking and when we look under the hood there is no clear coat on
the paint and it dose not look that great. What do you guys think about
having the under side of the hood painted with stripes to match the
top of the hood and have it cleared?

Maybe the under side of the trunk as well?

I would like to hear what you guys think.

Old 12/18/08, 02:16 PM

I think it would look really nice painted, but would you have to paint/keep the (heat shield?) fabric type stuff that lines it?

Those seats look awesome by the way! Where'd you get that done? Also love the color/stripe combo, that's exactly what I would have done if I would have gotten a Grabber Orange stang, it looks beautiful.
Old 12/18/08, 02:23 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen it done before, and it's worth show points, but that's about it. Since it's your money, go for it, but not with my money. I does look 'finished' when done right, but it'd be really difficult to get the stripes to look right and straight with all the bracing under the hood. I think when I've seen it done it's been on fiberglass hoods with a smooth bottom side.
Old 12/18/08, 02:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
This car was at a show in my area and his under hood is painted. Not stripes, but shows anything is possible!

Old 12/18/08, 02:26 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was going to paint stripes on mine when I painted the underneath of the hood but after I figured the extra cost of the paint, clear and hassle, for me it wasn't worth it. However, it does look good when done.
Old 12/18/08, 02:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey dude, I SERIOUSLY toyed with this idea, but I passed on it as I painted my strut tower brace the same color as the car (with the stripes and all) instead, and it looks REALLY GOOD. I figured, if I did the underside of the hood, it would take away from the strut tower brace, and I didn't want to do that. Plus I have only seen one other car with a matching STB (thank you to Stangnet, as their car gave me the idea). I would go for it if your thinking of it. It would look really cool on your car.
Old 12/18/08, 02:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by socal.2fast
I was thinking and when we look under the hood there is no clear coat on
the paint and it dose not look that great. What do you guys think about
having the under side of the hood painted with stripes to match the
top of the hood and have it cleared?

Maybe the under side of the trunk as well?

I would like to hear what you guys think.

Everytime I see your Grabber Orange I get goosebumps! I cannot say enough how great yours look. You have it looking just right and it has a perfect balance without being overdone.

You picked the best quarter window louvers. I have seen nothing that looks better. The Agent 47 mirrors are the perfect touch.

I feel painting the stripe under the hood may be unecessary fuss for an already great car.

The greatest statement is the orange inserts and leather stiching in the interior finished off by the exterior stripes and matching custom wheels. Your car is just enough appearance-wise. Everything is perfect.

There are few cars that actually look right after zealous customizing but yours is one of the best.
Old 12/18/08, 02:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Watchdevil. May goal with all my cars is to have a Clean look like it came that way. I like the was
just thinking of what I could do to add alittle more ro under the hood. The motor is full sotck and I have not
done and dress up stuff to the engine bay.

One other thing I was thinking of is if I get the under side of the hood done. Should I maybe get the black
part under the windshield and around the windsheild wipers painted grabber Orange with stripes to blend in
with the car?

Plus we all know what those black parts look like over time.
Old 12/18/08, 05:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks Watchdevil. May goal with all my cars is to have a Clean look like it came that way. I like the was
just thinking of what I could do to add alittle more ro under the hood. The motor is full sotck and I have not
done and dress up stuff to the engine bay.

One other thing I was thinking of is if I get the under side of the hood done. Should I maybe get the black
part under the windshield and around the windsheild wipers painted grabber Orange with stripes to blend in
with the car?

Plus we all know what those black parts look like over time.
I would leave the windshield cowl alone. I would definitely put some money into dressing up under the hood. Just think how nice a Grabber Orange plenum with a chrome pony would look. You can start from there!
Old 12/18/08, 05:28 PM
Cobra Member

That cobra on the underside of that hood looks mean!
Old 12/18/08, 05:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by officespace56
That cobra on the underside of that hood looks mean!
It has to be. 715 RWHP on that baby!
Old 12/18/08, 06:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by denlem
This car was at a show in my area and his under hood is painted. Not stripes, but shows anything is possible!

I have the same style hood and was thinking of doing something very close. Looking for ideas, was thinking of an airbrushed running pony.
Thoughts?
Old 12/19/08, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Ya I think the Grabber Orange plenum with a chrome pony would look good.
Old 12/19/08, 07:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Where do you get the chrome ponys from?
Old 12/20/08, 04:52 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would do a custom paint job,not stripes though. JMO
Old 12/21/08, 06:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Where do you get the chrome ponys from?
www.midwestautogear.com sells them already painted with your choice of emblems that they offer.
Old 12/23/08, 07:44 AM
GT Member

my Trufiber hood is painted & cleared underneath and it definitely looks better than that darn black heat shield..LOL!!

Old 12/23/08, 11:10 PM

Hey socal.2fast,
I also replied to your PM. Here are a few more thoughts with pics. I like the Idea of follow the stripes under the hood and I'm going to take that direction on my next stang.

If you do go this way I would get the Rad. cover from midwest your car color and follow the stripes up that like this....

As I mentioned in my then take the Plenum cover and do basically the same thing. I think It would be a great look. I know these are all GT 500's but thats what i'm getting so those are the only Pics I could dig up. Then you could always throw some steel braided hoses on there and you've got a show winner.

My car has been taking 1st or "best of" at most cars shows i've been attending. I guess i'm nuts to sell it but its time for a change.

Good Luck!
Old 12/24/08, 06:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by BlueRoush
Hey socal.2fast,
I also replied to your PM. Here are a few more thoughts with pics. I like the Idea of follow the stripes under the hood and I'm going to take that direction on my next stang.

If you do go this way I would get the Rad. cover from midwest your car color and follow the stripes up that like this....

As I mentioned in my then take the Plenum cover and do basically the same thing. I think It would be a great look. I know these are all GT 500's but thats what i'm getting so those are the only Pics I could dig up. Then you could always throw some steel braided hoses on there and you've got a show winner.

My car has been taking 1st or "best of" at most cars shows i've been attending. I guess i'm nuts to sell it but its time for a change.

Good Luck!
Hey Blue, your engine bay is SWEET!! And nice shot of the GT50 with the stripes under the hood. I don't know if I will go that route when I get my Cervini's Hood, as with having the STB painted to match, I don't want to take anything away from that.

Sorry to hear your selling it. Like you said, change is inevitable. With all the awards though, it does get overwelming after a while. I got almost 50 trophies in 3 years of ownership (our car shows are from Early May to early Oct, thats it), and after the 1st year with my car, I started to run out of room for them all. When I go to shows now, its all about the comroderie of hanging out with my friends from the 2 clubs I belong to. If the club decided to award me something, its a bonus. I don't look for it anymore. I just look forward to seeing my friends on the weekends now. BTW, what car you looking into next?
Old 12/24/08, 07:03 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree w/ the stripes up the rad cover 100%. But I'm still real cautious on striping the underside of a stock hood. I haven't looked in a while, but I don't remember it being smooth underneath the blanket. Aren't there all kinds of supports/bracing?

Quick Reply: Yes or No? Painted Stripes UNDER the Hood?