2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Xplans

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/04, 09:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can Kevinb, or Carpro, or someone who knows, please explain how the Xplan works, in relation to allocations?

Local dealers in the New Orleans area are saying they can't even deliver a car on their lot now, until after December 1, because of allocation problems, and the "grand opening" event or whatever they are calling it.

Hit send too soon....
They are saying they can't do Xplan until after the first of the new year.

1. If you special order a car under Xplan, does that affect the dealer's allocation?

2. Does Ford keep the dealer whole on Xplan sales?

3.Why WOULDN't a dealer do an Xplan sale? Why the hesitation or refusal?
Old 11/5/04, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Dont know if this helps much but I remembered seeing it under one of
the stickies up above (about new posts) ...

"I hear a lot of talk about A/Z/D/X Plans for Ford Pricing. What are these?
A plan is for current Ford(not dealerships) employees.
Z plan is for retired Ford employees.
Also these plans can be used by immediate family members of the employees.

D plan is for Ford dealership employees of Blue Oval Certified dealerships, that have been employeed more than 6 months.

X plan is for family and friends of Ford employees and if a person works for a company that is a supplier in someway of Ford. There is a long list that qualifies for this.

The pricing goes this way. A plan is determined by Ford and can be found on the dealers order sheet/invoice in a box labeled A plan. This price is the same for Z and D plan as well. It is typically 4% under invoice, although it might vary a few dollars either way.

X plan is figured this way: A plan price + 4% + $150.
The advantage to using X plan instead of buying at invoice is that the dealer cannot charge dealership fees on a plan purchase, whereas they do charge it if you buy at invoice and not on a plan. Usually the dealership fees end up bringing the price up above X plan.

The dealership is paid a set amount by Ford when they sell a vehicle on anyone of the plans. So, if a dealer sells a car on X plan instead of selling at invoice without a plan, they make more money. Therefore the dealer is better off selling on plan unless they get someone to pay more than invoice, or even MSRP!"
Old 11/5/04, 10:10 PM

Thanks, Butch, much obliged. That last part...

"The dealership is paid a set amount by Ford when they sell a vehicle on anyone of the plans. So, if a dealer sells a car on X plan instead of selling at invoice without a plan, they make more money. Therefore the dealer is better off selling on plan unless they get someone to pay more than invoice, or even MSRP!"

Begs my 3rd question...why wouldn't a dealer sell a special ordered car on Xplan? Why are they so reluctant to honor the plan(s) down here in N.O.?

Does it affect their regular allocation, which cars they can sell for MSRP and make the most money?

I thought Xplan special orders were above and beyond their allocation. Maybe I'm mistaken. Someone please enlighten me. Thx.
Old 11/5/04, 10:10 PM
FR500 Member

finally someone clears it up for me.....the dealer told me x-plan is for family only soo now when i go i and they tell me that i can flame the salesman!! YES!!
Old 11/5/04, 10:20 PM

Greg, I'm not "family", but i work for a company who has access to Xplan because we buy a lot of Ford products, mostly trucks. I got my Xplan PIN through this arrangement..... B)
Old 11/5/04, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Just doing a search (on yahoo for 'ford x plan) got me a lot of sites most of which were useless (specific companies offering webpages for their employees on how to use the x plan) but one site http://www.varsityford.com/x_plan.htm
had this one paragraph:
"This program is available through all participating dealers in the U.S. and Canada. Dealer participation is voluntary. Program participants should inform the dealer of their X-Plan (S-Plan) eligibility during your first contact with your dealer. If for some reason the dealer elects not to participate, they may visit another dealer."
Only thought it was relavent since a lot of people ask why some dealers dont accept the x plan and from that one line it appears that its a voluntary thing so some might not accept it for some reason or other, most likely (this is just a guess) because they can sell their cars at msrp or higher and make more money.
Also, best guess would be that these are not above and beyond any alotted automobiles they would normally get but are included in them. Whether sold at msrp (or higher in the case of some dealers) or on one of the plans it seems that they all come from the same alottment the dealer gets each month.
Old 11/5/04, 10:44 PM

That helps, a lot. They would rather avoid the xplan figuring they can sell it at MSRP right now while supplies are low.

Thanks for your time and trouble researching. Much obliged.
Old 11/6/04, 08:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Alot of dealers are trying to avoid x-plan because after the ommision from Ford it only leaves them at about $400 - 450 over invoice. If they have the ability to sell it at MSRP or close to it, that is what they would prefer. As far as the allocation question, this is not above and beyond the normal allocation, it is part of it. If a dealer is only getting 5 next month, or whatever number, most are going to try to maximize their profit on them. Dealer are saying you can use x-plan at some date in the future because thats whem they figure the initial hype will die down and allocations will increase.
Old 11/6/04, 04:30 PM

Thanks, Karpro. That certainly clarifies the allocation question, and confirms the reluctance to honor the Xplan down here, at least for now.

Guess I'll have to wait until the first of the year to place my order.

Hope my wife's Jeep holds out until then (she gets my 2000 JGC, I get my 2005 Mustang GT). B)

Thanks again. Much appreciated.
Old 11/7/04, 02:41 AM
Bullitt Member

B) Yeah got Xplan now so! Now got get dealer to except it. May take awhile since all the markup going on this great car.
Old 11/7/04, 09:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 69stang351w@November 7, 2004, 3:44 AM
B) Yeah got Xplan now so! Now got get dealer to except it. May take awhile since all the markup going on this great car.
Will only take longer because of x-plan if your dealer makes it take longer. They assign your spot in line, so to speak, by issuing the proper priority. If they don't give you a bad priority number because of you using x-plan, it won't take any longer.
Old 11/7/04, 10:58 AM
FR500 Member

mike...............i gotta wait till the 1st of the year too for my order because i have x-plan too....thanks to a very awesome person. but one dealer lied about it and i wont buy from there. next one that lies im gonna flame him and tell him a-plan is for family. thanks again guys. im still waiting on my letter from ford too haha
Old 11/7/04, 11:46 AM

Greg---be sure to read the thread from the guy who is going nuts with his black 2005; black is awesome looking for the few minutes when clean, but it shows every speck of dust, dirt. swirl, scratch, etc.

Not saying don't get the black, just think it through and make a reasoned decision. I backed off the redfire for similar reasons. It's dark enough to show too many spots / too much dust for my tastes. Gonna go with Windveil Blue.

Good luck with your Xplan; I requested an online quote yesterday; the internet manager at my nearest dealer emailed me back saying he will spec the car and call me with the numbers on Monday. Same dealership whose salesman told me no Xplans for the foreseeable future....Can't wait to see if he'll be straight with me or give me some BS...Stay tuned...
Old 11/7/04, 11:48 AM

I drove by there today in my 1965 Prairie Bronze fastback; just to browse....they only have a Satin Silver V^ "plain Jane" on the lot; older couple checking it out told me to keep mine, they like it better than the 2005.

I hope to have both "bookends" (i.e. 1965 & 2005)....soon.....
Old 11/7/04, 12:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Karpro, will see what happens. We have 3 dealers in Hawaii that I can deal with. As of now only one knows I have Xplan and has not replied yet. But I know from your info that my plan is good 1yr. thanks again! (now the waiting game)
Old 11/7/04, 05:10 PM

What about rebates or special financing? Do they still apply when using an x-plan?
Old 11/7/04, 05:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yes, you are entitled to special finance rates and the regular public rebates, currently $0. You are not entitled to private rebate offers, such as AQHA, college grad, etc..
Old 11/7/04, 05:20 PM

But for 2004 Cobras Ford is offering $2500 or $500 if you finance through Ford Credit. So those would apply?
Old 11/7/04, 09:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Maindrian Pace@November 7, 2004, 6:23 PM
But for 2004 Cobras Ford is offering $2500 or $500 if you finance through Ford Credit. So those would apply?
Yes those would apply. The "plans" entitle you to the same rebates the rest of the general publics, just not the "specialty" rebates.
Old 11/8/04, 10:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Dealer called yesterday told me 1 v6 & 2 gts are in. Said I could use Xplan, But will have to order it. That's ok with me, ordering was my intention. Man! can you see me at the dealer with my folder with all of this info. God! when I first contacted this dealer in Sept. I had pricing, they did'nt. Why because of this site and the great guys on it. (Karpro they should have someone like you at every dealer, someone that's on top things)

Quick Reply: Xplans