2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

winter is over- CHECK THEM AIR FILTERS!

Old 4/6/14, 08:10 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
winter is over- CHECK THEM AIR FILTERS!

for the third time in three years, found a airbox full of crap... mice ate the battery blanket off my 06, built a nest under my air filter out of it... they ate the filter out of my mercury 2 summers ago too. thank God for the metal mesh over the better filters.

had my son run to the store and get me a filter while finishing the clutch, all they had was STP- no mesh... thats going in the trash ASAP, had they gotten past the filter it woulda been engine time

know a lot of folks cars are coming out of storage, please do yourself a favor and lift that air filter to see if the underside is chewed out...sure this cant be only happening in my driveway(cars in the garage have been fine so far, but did catch a couple mice in there 2 winters ago- they can make a mess). must be the shape of the airboxes on some cars. had a nest in my mark VII fender, my son bought another Mark that was sitting out elsewhere, pulled the fender and found a copycat had been there too.

suggest avoiding papertop filters without the aluminum mesh- I woulda never got one, but it was all they had in stock when the kids drove down to the autozone...
Attached Images  
Old 4/7/14, 03:07 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Man, that's awful! I hope you don't have that lingering 'smell'.
I had mice build a nest in the heater of my old '96 Pontiac Formula. I could never fully get the smell out. Even the GM dealer tried with some of their professional odor remover. Nasty! That was in my garage too. I never knew I had mice and had to buy a new garage door. They got in through the tiniest of openings. That fixed the problem but I'm always checking just in case, even 10 years later.

Last edited by NC14GT; 4/7/14 at 06:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 4/7/14, 05:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OUCH!!! Those little rodents are a PITA for sure. Thanks for the heads-up on checking for mice damage. I so far don't have mice in my shop in Indiana, however I have had to deal with the little **** at my Tennessee home, or in my new shop there. I have more D-Con, sticky traps, spring traps, electronic traps, etc. in that shop now. Plus I had to replace a weather seal that they chewed through. No mice there now, but once they get in, they want back in....!
Phil
Old 4/13/14, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't had that happen to my vehicles yet, but a couple years ago I had a mouse do that to my propane grill. Weird thing was, I had grilled the day before, and the mouse built a nest sighing 24 hours! Little bigger!!!