2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Winter driving - snow and ice

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/06, 12:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fxdwg2002

Did I Mention I'm 10 minutes from the beach and about 2 hours from the mountains and snow. Kinda nice if you ask me

It was about 34F this morning with 35 mph winds from the south, which are surprisingly cold. I couldn't feel my face as I was walking from the parking lot

ETA: POST 100!! w00t! Another GT member in the hizzouse.
Old 10/13/06, 07:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
It was about 34F this morning with 35 mph winds from the south, which are surprisingly cold. I couldn't feel my face as I was walking from the parking lot

ETA: POST 100!! w00t! Another GT member in the hizzouse.
where are you located Mi I know se ? I'm just south of Chicago. I love having 4 seasons
Old 10/14/06, 04:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm in SE MI, north of Ann Arbor.
Old 10/14/06, 10:44 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking of putting blizzak winters on...do you guys have separate rims for the winter??? What did you use for wheels??
I hate to put steel wheels and hubcaps on and spoil the cool look but don't want to mess up the bullits with winter crud.
Old 10/15/06, 12:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to have the right equipment for the snow. I find that my Mustang is wonderfully tractive with my Detroit Truetrac. I also have four good mud flaps to protect my finish. Best snow car that I have ever had.
http://www.detroitlocker.com/DT.htm
Old 10/15/06, 05:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The Mustang GTs should all come with Traction-Lok differentials. I had a Detroit TrueTrac in my 00 Crown Vic and it didn't work as well as the Traction-Lok in snow and ice. Coincidentally, I bought a used take-off T-Lok from a 98 Mustang GT to put in the Vic.
Old 10/15/06, 08:12 AM
GT Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dustindu4
I had $100 michelin X-ice tires mounted last year and never got stuck or lost traction in a New England winter. I wouldn't take delivery in the winter though and drive it, take delivery in April so it can look new for at least 1 summer
Another rave review for Michelin X-Ice tires. I tried to make it through a relatively mild Maine winter with the stock Pirellis and they are a joke compared to serious snow tires. I had never needed snow tires before with a 4x4 Expedition and a FWD Honda Civic, so I doubted their efficacy. Well, they were a quantum leap better on unplowed snow and ice. I even made it up a steep grade that my neighbour got stuck on with a FWD Taurus and cheap snow tires.
Old 10/15/06, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

I will find out soon enough. I just ordered a set of the 18" silver bullitts from ford racing with blizzak lm-22's mounted on them from tirerack.

That plus some weight in the trunk should do the trick. I have never had a problem with any RWD car in the snow with a good set of winter tires and weight in the trunk. But it is a different driving expirience if you are used to front wheel drive cars.
Old 10/15/06, 03:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One more caveat on the Truetrac. It will not function if your traction difference left-to-right is more than 4 to 1, so in that respect a limited slip will out-perform a Truetrac if you don't keep a ready hand on the parking brake. When just one side is on ice, for example, you must apply a little parking brake to get started, then once you are underway, you can let go of the parking brake and drive normally.
Old 10/16/06, 12:09 AM
V6 Member

I only drove mine in some light snow last winter cause my Jeep was down. I got real lucky, and the couple heavy snows we did get, came on my days off! I did get out just to play around with the traction control, getting a feel for it on and off. Car does much better than I thought it would, with TC on at least.

But, I'm just glad that my Jeep is back up and running for this winter! Mustang can sleep in the garage and the Jeep can do the 4x4 thing.
Old 10/16/06, 11:53 AM
Cobra Member

I really like the the new generation studless snow tires that are on the market now: Blizzaks, Dunlop Graspics, Michelin X-Ice, Pirelli Scorpions... They really are a huge improvement over standard all seasons and even old fashioned snow tires.

They have special tread compounds that are flexible and grippy in cold. The downside is that they are very soft and wear fast. But for a winter only tire, they're great. I just ordered 4 X-Ice tires for my '06 and bought some winter rims. Just trying to be prepared for the worst...
Old 10/16/06, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I drove my '95 GT through 7 New England winters before getting the '05 GT. Last winter was the first for the '05 GT. I agree with the other posters who said the '05-up GTs are light-years ahead of the SN95 and previous Mustangs. Basically because of two reasons:

1. Traction control on the '05 GT
2. Much better front/rear balance - something like 52%/48% f/r balance now, compared to 57%/43% previously. In other words, there's more weight on the rear tires now.

But that said, the Mustang is not what I would call "good in the snow." A front-wheel drive car is going to have more traction when it comes to starting from a stop, or climbing hills. Snow tires would help a lot, but still it's not going to be as good as a FWD or AWD car. It'll be more fun though.
Old 10/17/06, 07:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My 05 Mustang handles winter snow on it's stock tires better than my focus handled snow on it's stock tires. I had to buy snow tires for it, but haven't had to for the Mustang.
Old 10/17/06, 07:22 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by AWmustang
My 05 Mustang handles winter snow on it's stock tires better than my focus handled snow on it's stock tires. I had to buy snow tires for it, but haven't had to for the Mustang.
Last winter wasn't so bad.
I only had to use my truck few times during entire winter.
Old 10/17/06, 08:27 PM

Mine handled fine the only problem was it took most of the spring to repair all the stone chips ( good ol eastern PA) on the hood and front end. I had it SIMONIZED ( it worked fine on my 2002 TBIRD) but it didn't do any good on the GT. Of course no one wats to own up to any issues( Dealer).
Suggest you get some after market protection especially for the hood.
Old 10/17/06, 09:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
The goodyear Tripletreds are an excellent tire. But not for a GT.
I picked up some cheap 17" bullits for the winter and mounted up some goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW3's and I plowed thru everything, lol.

This way my 18" stay salt free, and no switching tires every 6 months or so.

Old 10/18/06, 04:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Why aren't the Goodyear TripleTreds good for the GT? They are H-Rated and I won't be taking the Mustang over 100 mph on the road. I want long lasting tires, not soft Z-rated tires that wear out in 12,000 miles. I've never had W/Z-rated tires last more than 12,000 miles on my Crown Vic and the fronts always wear out faster than the rear.
Old 10/18/06, 09:31 AM

I was a bit concerned as my GT is my daily driver so I got 4 Blizzaks, got 4 steel wheels and found some decent looking hubcaps online. The car handled like a dream although we don't get alot of snow, we got enough last year. I climbed my uphill driveway with 5 inches on it with no problem. I also looked at a clear bra for the front but my local dealer wanted $600 to do it. I thought that was a bit much, so I'm just keeping it cleaned and waxed and admit that sometime in the future I might have to paint it!
Old 10/18/06, 10:26 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haven't, and won't take the Stang out in the winter (due to salt). But I've had plenty of experience with the white stuff and rear wheel drive.
Just remember, brake and set your speed before your turn, coast through it, and gently accellerate out. Other than that, just increase all distances and pay attention. I actually enjoy driving in it... I know, I'm sick.
Old 10/18/06, 10:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I love driving in it too.

Quick Reply: Winter driving - snow and ice