2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

windsheild cracked.. a perfect 2" circular crack!

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/06, 11:51 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy windsheild cracked.. a perfect 2" circular crack!

Well a couple days back while cruising on a highway, passing under a bridge, i heard a loud pop and for a second didn't know what had hit me..

i pulled over and looked around, to see a perfect 2" circle in diameter, cut right in the middle of my glass.

i can't emphasize how perfectly round the cut is.. there are a couple scratches on my hood stripes headed towards the windsheild, and then the circular crack with a small scratch in the middle of it..

it would seem as if some road debree had fallen off the bridge hitting my hood and had flown right through to my windsheild, leaving a minor surface scratch, and well.. a round 2" crack, with no spidering whatsoever.

i'm stumped! even the cops and a glass technician were curious how the heck it had happend, as they've never seen anything like it.

Any comments?

Attached Thumbnails windsheild cracked.. a perfect 2" circular crack!-stang-crack1.jpg   windsheild cracked.. a perfect 2" circular crack!-stang-crack2.jpg   windsheild cracked.. a perfect 2" circular crack!-stang-crack3.jpg   windsheild cracked.. a perfect 2" circular crack!-stang-crack4.jpg  
Old 6/12/06, 09:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it just had to be done lol. i am curious t osee this as well.
Old 6/13/06, 06:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, that is insanely bizarre. I have nothing more to say, and no possible causes to offer. No offense and sorry it happened, but that's pretty amazing.
Old 6/13/06, 06:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's the kind of strange stuff that usually happens to me! Sorry about your car,hope you get the windshield replaced soon.
Old 6/13/06, 08:08 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Ford Bodyshop is now claiming this is probably a soda can that's hit the windshield..
i'll be ****ed if i won't see a soda can hitting my windsheid! i really doubt that's the case, not to forget a can would have probably shattered the glass or left some indentation or cracks at least if it's full..

i'm wondering if this was caused by tension due to improper fitment, or perhaps temperature difference as the AC was blasting inside while outside temp was soaring around 110F with humidity at 70%..

the service center is denying that'd ever cause such a crack, of course they're trying to dodge a warranty claim
Old 6/13/06, 08:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by G.T
Ford Bodyshop is now claiming this is probably a soda can that's hit the windshield..
i'll be ****ed if i won't see a soda can hitting my windsheid! i really doubt that's the case, not to forget a can would have probably shattered the glass or left some indentation or cracks at least if it's full..

i'm wondering if this was caused by tension due to improper fitment, or perhaps temperature difference as the AC was blasting inside while outside temp was soaring around 110F with humidity at 70%..

the service center is denying that'd ever cause such a crack, of course they're trying to dodge a warranty claim
WOW that's the most wacky thing I've ever seen, it almost looks like you could pop it out! Or someone used a glass cutter like you see in spy movies.

Proving a warranty claim is going to be hard, but basically "Have you ever seen a window break like that?"... "Nope!"... "Well then I guess the glass was defective!"

Good luck... but before they remove the window you should try and pop out the glass piece That might not happen because of the lamination.. But it would be a cool keep sake.
Old 6/13/06, 08:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have seen some interesting cracks before, but that has got to be the most unique I have ever seen. I have absolutely no idea what would cause that to be so Perfect of a circle.
Old 6/13/06, 11:02 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hold a soda can up to it, I don't think they're the same dimensions. Just like you said, you would've seen it for one, an empty can wouldnt hit with that much momentum, and a full one would've caused shattering, not just that crack.

Good luck with it.

Oh, I just thought of something. Wonder if Mythbusters would be up to the challenge of finding out if it was caused by a soda can? They love destroying things.
Old 6/13/06, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I doubt you'll get a warranty claim out of it.

I've had to replace 2 windshields in under 8 months and I am very careful about following too close.
Old 6/13/06, 11:34 AM
GT Member

Ford wont cover it because you said you heard something hit your car passing under a bridge right before the window crop circle appeared. My friend has a 05 coupe and his windshield cracked in a straight line while driving. Ford replaced his windshield for free.
Old 6/13/06, 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

I've never seen a windshield or any other piece of glass crack like that before. I'd just be thankful that whatever hit your car, assuming something actually did, didn't hit the hood or roof. I consider front windshields disposable.
Old 6/13/06, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I revise my previous comment. That is obviously not an impact related hit, it's difficult to say for sure but there seems to be no outside trauma to the glass. You could easily make the argument that it just happened while driving out of the blue. You could also explain that the sound could have just been the glass cracking. Stressed glass can make a very loud noise once that pressure is released. There may have been a defect in the glass, and a combination of temperature differences, and pressure on the glass from driving caused the glass to fail when it should not have.

If they refuse to replace it under warranty, calmly ask them to show you where the trauma from an impact on the glass is. If they refuse, go to a couple automotive glass places and get their opinion in writing on the problem, then move forward with a dispute with a regional rep for Ford. Also, feel free to drag the GM of the dealership out there to have him take a look at it. That worked for me with a warranty dispute.
Old 6/13/06, 03:47 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lodom
I've never seen a windshield or any other piece of glass crack like that before. I'd just be thankful that whatever hit your car, assuming something actually did, didn't hit the hood or roof. I consider front windshields disposable.
well i do have 3 scrathces on the hood stripe, but that's just vinyl, i ordered a replacement already..
Old 6/13/06, 03:50 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TexaStang
I revise my previous comment. That is obviously not an impact related hit, it's difficult to say for sure but there seems to be no outside trauma to the glass. You could easily make the argument that it just happened while driving out of the blue. You could also explain that the sound could have just been the glass cracking. Stressed glass can make a very loud noise once that pressure is released. There may have been a defect in the glass, and a combination of temperature differences, and pressure on the glass from driving caused the glass to fail when it should not have.

If they refuse to replace it under warranty, calmly ask them to show you where the trauma from an impact on the glass is. If they refuse, go to a couple automotive glass places and get their opinion in writing on the problem, then move forward with a dispute with a regional rep for Ford. Also, feel free to drag the GM of the dealership out there to have him take a look at it. That worked for me with a warranty dispute.
As a matter of fact, some thing did in fact hit the car, as i have minor scratches on the hood leading to the windshield, and a minor surface scratch right in the middle of the "crop circle"

sure something did hit it, although my argument is that if the glass was a 100% defect free, i would have walked away with a very light scratch that i can barely notice, rather than the crack you saw above..

i highly doubt i'd get it fixed under warranty, but i also think the insurance company is gonna raise a couple eye-brows over it
Old 6/13/06, 04:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

This is a wild guess and pretty off the wall but...when we bought our Cobra I noticed a couple of "circles" on the inside of the windshield, even after cleaning it. The light and the viewing angle had to be just right to see them. My guess at the time was that they were caused by something (suction cups, maybe?) that Ford used to install the glass on the assembly line.

It would be interesting to know what sort of assembly fixture is used to mount the 05-06 windshield.
Old 6/13/06, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rickoshay
This is a wild guess and pretty off the wall but...when we bought our Cobra I noticed a couple of "circles" on the inside of the windshield, even after cleaning it. The light and the viewing angle had to be just right to see them. My guess at the time was that they were caused by something (suction cups, maybe?) that Ford used to install the glass on the assembly line.

It would be interesting to know what sort of assembly fixture is used to mount the 05-06 windshield.
Here's a snapshot of what the machine looks like that installs the front Window Glass at the Factory.
Attached Thumbnails windsheild cracked.. a perfect 2" circular crack!-snap0788.jpg  
Old 6/13/06, 04:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rickoshay

sounds good to me......................
Old 6/13/06, 05:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Fastrack
Here's a snapshot of what the machine looks like that installs the front Window Glass at the Factory.
wow...thats bottom one on the right may be in the same location as the crack

edit...i mean left
Old 6/13/06, 05:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

An insane person would yell out
aliens!
but I am not that type of person.
Let me think about it for a few days to try to find out what happened
Old 6/13/06, 06:13 PM
Cobra Member

+1 for the suction cups

Quick Reply: windsheild cracked.. a perfect 2" circular crack!