2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

window controls don't work (connection between SJB & window switch?)

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/08 | 11:56 AM

window controls don't work (connection between SJB & window switch?)

My window control switches don't work. The motors & wires must be intact, because the windows move up and down 1mm when opening/closing the door. But the switches on both driver and passenger side do nothing.

From searching, I get the impression that the SJB controls the windows and know that the SJB "is somewhere in the pass. kick panel area."

Since the SJB is able to control the windows, but the door switches don't work, I've concluded that something between my door switches and SJB is the problem. I was messing with wires behind the center console before I noticed my windows stopped working. Could a short somewhere confuse the SJB into ignoring my window switches? Or should I be looking for a disconnected cable somewhere?
Old 1/19/08 | 02:50 PM

Ok, I also noticed the Vacc is floating or near ground. (the remote wire for the shaker 500 - the line that is 12V when the engine is running and for 2 minutes after the engine is off, or until the door opens)

When I compare it to ground, I get an undefined voltage. When I compare it to a constant power source, I get -12V. When I compare the constant power source to ground, I get 13.8V.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this car? If I could take a look at what is connected to what, I could figure out whether there is a short somewhere or a disconnected wire somewhere..

Thanks in advance..
Old 1/21/08 | 02:36 PM

Problem solved thanks to competant dealership personell.

Ok, I spent a few hours uninstalling everything I had done to the car and took it into the dealership this morning. There was a broken wire / open circuit under some carpet... I haven't messed with any under-carpet wires, but I'll ask them to point out exactly where that was. Just updating in case any of you 44 views / 0 responses were reading and cared.
Old 1/21/08 | 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Problem solved thanks to competant dealership personell.

Ok, I spent a few hours uninstalling everything I had done to the car and took it into the dealership this morning. There was a broken wire / open circuit under some carpet... I haven't messed with any under-carpet wires, but I'll ask them to point out exactly where that was. Just updating in case any of you 44 views / 0 responses were reading and cared.
hehe. Sorry you had a problem. I just noticed this thread since I have been away for awhile. I would have made a response if I had known!
Old 1/21/08 | 10:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

That is a strange place for a wire to break or malfunction. Usually it would be at a connection point that the failure occurrs. Glad it got worked out though.
Old 2/8/08 | 09:03 AM

FYI, update on this:

It turns out it was just incorrectly documented. A wire was not lose. A fuse in the passenger kick panel was blown. I found this out the second time I blew that fuse.

So lesson learned:
Do not try to pull any significant amount of current (I was pulling maybe 0.5-1 amps for a 5-10 watt LCD) from the switched 12V power going to the shaker harness. Only use it as a voltage source to trigger a relay...

Apparently, pulling any significant current on that line will cause a fuse to blow that will disable your power window switches.
Old 2/9/08 | 12:17 PM
Cobra Member

Glad it was/is a simple fixed.