2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Will new mustang offer navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/04, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally posted by Robert@Apr. 27th, 2004, 3:51 AM

In fact, let's just go back to living in caves, drawing on rocks, and catching and killing our supper!
I'm all for it! Got my 300 Ultra mag rifle.. take anything down at 500+ yards.

Just kidding man. You get what you want. Personally I'll pass on a gps.

But I will keep that calculator... I hate long division.

Jas
Old 4/27/04, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not trying to down anyones thoughts here, but the Mustang is a drivers car...for people who take the long way home and are not afraid to pass the police when they think they're going too slow; for the people who tell their mom, dad, girl, or wife they're going to get gas and will be back in "about" an hour when there is a gas station around the corner, and their excuse for going to another one 20 mi aways is "It's cheaper down that way" (...around the corner 1.92, 2o mi away 1.91); for the people who burn rubber at a read light just to cause 2nd hand lung cancer to the drivers next to them with their windows down.

Most of these people know their way around an interstate or two. Basically I fell it's just another toy to play with in traffic like an ipod or a Detroit Piston bobble-head (I'm from MI). Not that i wouldn't mind having it, but it just wouldn't look right...and where would it go, I wouldn't want it interfering with my 1000wat stereo system unless it was intergrated. Navi systems are great... just in suvs and family cars
Old 4/27/04, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by Dan+Apr. 26th, 2004, 11:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan @ Apr. 26th, 2004, 11:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by rhumb@Apr. 26th, 2004, 8:45 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-00StangGT
@Apr. 26th, 2004, 1:30 AM
you don't need NAV in a muscle car like the Mustang.....sure if you're 60 and driving a Vette you need the assistance

Sure, but it would be nice in a pony car like the Mustang!

A GPS Nav system might not make much sense going down the quarter mile, don't think too many have gotten lost there, but a long afternoon drive through the mountain might be a very different matter, even if you're only 40-something. That's to say nothing if you do a lot of travelling and touring in new and unfamiliar areas. If you stay close to home or the drag strip though, probably not much benefit derived.

I imagine one would be offered in future upscale models such as the Cobra and perhaps trickle down to the GT and Base versions later. These things are getting cheaper, though are still pretty dear for the GT's price point (but then again, Mazda does have one for the even cheaper 3). There are some nice and fairly affordable aftermarket units should one want to go that route.
Ah, but rhumb I'm going to use you're own arguement against you here. I would be more upset if ford offered a navagation system over components which would make it a more capable sports car for those who know the general commute is not as straight and smooth as an airport landing strip (you like that eh? sounds like you)

This gets put into the same box as colour configurable gauges IMO. Nice to have, but maybe the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Plus, using a fold out map and getting lost occassionally makes road trips.....well......road trips.

And where do you stop if you offer NAV? Tiptronic, reverse cameras, voice activated radio controls, internet capability, flip down DVD screen, power sunroof.........you can keep it.

I just want a car with an excellent powertrain, a modern and well-designed interior, a V8 and a 5-speed in the shell that looks like a mustang and I'm happy. [/b][/quote]
Actually, gasp, I'm about half with you. I wouldn't opt for a Nav system over a real performance enhancing mechanical thingies, but perhaps as a usefull if not vital driver's enhancement. They are still pretty pricey for my spare wallet, but they do offer some tangible enhancement to the ability to get from piont A to B, basically being able to find point B in the first place.

But yeah, they are straying a bit from the Mustans's primary raison d'etre in my book, and that's getting from point A to B, any point A to B, even those separated by more than a quarter mile of smooth straight road, in as expeditious and entertaining a manner possible.

So I guess I see Nav systems more as a second tier enhancement of sorts, probably above colour configurable gauges or a kicker stereo, which, while cool to look at or listen to, does nothing to get you anywhere, fast or otherwise, but behind some real drive enhancers like IRS or another cog in the tranny. I'll leave money spent on purely decorative spoilers and scoops alone

I'm mixed about things like stability control systems. They do objectively enhance a car's ability to traverse from A to B, especially in rotten conditions for those of us who live outside the sun belt, but they also further isolate the driver from the actual driving process, diluting the purity of the experience to some degree. But then again, the driving process really comes to a stop in a snowy ditch...

As mentioned, there are some very good aftermarket systems (Garmin, et al) that seem to offer much better bang for the buck than factory systems and can be taken with you if you go bike'n, hike'n or boat'n. And while I love nothing better than to get lost in the boonies on a sunny Sunday afternoon, it is sometimes good to be able to find one's way back before facing the wrath of the S.O. (significant other) stewing over a cold pot of stew come dinner time :shock:
Old 4/27/04, 08:19 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really think the NAV system is just a toy. I would not use it. The only people I really think need a NAV system are people who are on the road constanly like salesman and service reps, who travel day-in-day-out to unfamiliar locations.

If I am going somewhere I am not sure of where to go, I usually look it up on mapquest, call me cheap, but I would rather spend the rather expensive cost of a nav system on bigger wheels, exhaust, etc.
Old 4/27/04, 11:56 AM
GT Member

Hold up.......the expeditions have a nav system and also so does the LS.

Y not in the mustang? I mean GMC put navis in thier trucks (I believe). I mean it has a bumpin system and rims and such I see no reason for no navigation.
Old 4/27/04, 01:01 PM

I just ordered a new car, with Nav, yesterday. I could've taken home a non-Nav equivalent the same day but instead chose to wait 4-6 weeks and paid a couple grand more for the Nav version.

This is the car the wife and I will travel in. The car that will pile up the miles. The car that we'll load up with friends and go out in. The car we'll go house hunting in. As such, I wanted a car that would best fit its intended use. So I got what I felt was the best value for the dollar while not sacrificing on performance, comfort, looks, conveniences and luxuries. One of those luxury conveniences, I suppose, is the Nav system.

I don't want to ask for directions. I don't want to have to buy a $50 ADC map for every freakin' county that I need a map for. Internet maps are ok but what if I'm already on the road and need directions (before you say "ask someone", please re-read sentence one of this paragraph )? My wife gets sick trying to read while we're moving. Written directions and maps are a PITA to me. Plain and simple. And I've done more than my share of map reading having worked on the road in the mid-Atlantic region and back in Wisconsin for a number of years.

To have the ability to simply plug in an address when I get in the car and then have it tell me where to go, when I need to go, how far I've yet to go and about how long before I'm there is well worth the couple grand over 5 years. To know my wife can travel to unfamiliar territory and have that same convenience is well worth it.

Besides, I love technology. Always have, always will. A navigation system will not take away one iota of driving enjoyment for me. It will only make it more enjoyable. And if I want to take the car out in the country on a warm sunny Sunday afternoon and get lost...I'll just turn the navigation system off.
Old 4/27/04, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Briden you prove my point. NAV systems for people or vehicles who are not regularly taking long road trips are pointless.
If you are only cruising to school and the supermarket its just going to sit there and say "My owner has money, or at least they did before they bought me."
Now yes, if you take long roadtrips fairly often, it's great to have, however. Most stang drivers won't be doing that, quarter mile or not. And if they do I don't see it happening in the stang. Good look driving fourteen hours with luggage in a mustang. :shock:
Old 4/27/04, 02:50 PM

VillianousBlak,
I personally won't be buying a Mustang that'll need Nav as it won't be a true daily driver. To work and back, cruisin', the occasional night out, local driving, etc., will be it for my 'Stang.

Now, maybe there are some owners for whom the Mustang will provide regular duty for all things vehicular and for them, nav may be a reasonable and viable option.

I was more refuting those who summarily dismiss nav as a toy, bling, status symbol, etc. Those who state that it prevents you from enjoying the adventure and romance of getting lost. To them, I say...Phooey!
Old 4/27/04, 03:13 PM
GT Member

I would like to point out a purpose for navigation in my job. I work as a staff audtior for a big four accounting firm, and we constantly go to different companies and work out of their offices, sometimes visiting 2-3 different places per day. We are called sometimes as we are driving somewhere else and told to go to a different place. Sometimes it can be a real bear trying to get directions to these different places, so in this instance, a nav system would be a real help. I am not advocating a need for it in the mustang, because it is easy enough to just add a head unit that is nav capable. So I just wanted to let you know, Vblak, that we are all not exactly like you, and some of our jobs ACTUALLY has a need for it ok, so back off will ya.
Old 4/27/04, 03:20 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I don't mind if Ford offers NAV as an option. What I'm afraid of, and what I think Ford Exec's recognize, is that offering features such as NAV represents taking the mustang into another segment....more along the lines of the G35 Coupe.

I think Ford knows that in order to be successful they have to pick their niche, draw boundaries with respect to features and stick to it.

They have chosen to keep the car modern and focus on performance without many of the ammenities offered in more expensive sedans, SUVs and sports cars. They are remaining focused on their goal. They cannot try to be everything to everyone.

EX: Joe wants NAV, Chris wants voice activated radio, Cherry wants internet capability.......you can't offer it all. But what do they all really want when it comes down to it? : An affordable, best power for the buck, modern sports car with basic ammenities such as MP3 capable radio, cruise control, T/C, ABS etc. etc.
Old 4/27/04, 03:33 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Dan@Apr. 27th, 2004, 3:23 PM
EX: Joe wants NAV, Chris wants voice activated radio, Cherry wants internet capability.......you can't offer it all. But what do they all really want when it comes down to it? : An affordable, best power for the buck, modern sports car with basic ammenities such as MP3 capable radio, cruise control, T/C, ABS etc. etc.
<applause> i think that they have done great and we should get off of fords back
Old 4/27/04, 04:04 PM
V6 Member

Having GPS is sooooooo nice, it is anything but a show-off toy. Why anyone would get so worked up over the suggestion of a nav system in a Mustang is beyond me. The same could go for power door locks, windows, mirros, keyless entry etc etc. Are they necessary? Not at all. Are they nice to have? Yes. As GPS systems become cheaper, they will start showing up in non-luxury models. For now, I'm happy with the GPS (which only cost me $200) on my pocket pc and I hang it off the air vent when I need it.
Old 4/27/04, 04:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by usdclark@Apr. 27th, 2004, 3:16 PM
I would like to point out a purpose for navigation in my job. I work as a staff audtior for a big four accounting firm, and we constantly go to different companies and work out of their offices, sometimes visiting 2-3 different places per day. We are called sometimes as we are driving somewhere else and told to go to a different place. Sometimes it can be a real bear trying to get directions to these different places, so in this instance, a nav system would be a real help. I am not advocating a need for it in the mustang, because it is easy enough to just add a head unit that is nav capable. So I just wanted to let you know, Vblak, that we are all not exactly like you, and some of our jobs ACTUALLY has a need for it ok, so back off will ya.
Wow such hostiliy. I'm getting villified, I wonder why? Anyway, my point was most people do not need a NAV system as it's real functionality is during road trips and I suppose... finding unfamiliar places. Most people do not due the the first too often, and once again, probably wouldn't in a mustang, as for the latter I'm sure there are those such as yourself who find a need for one.
So I am in no way saying you do not need one, nor that you should feel bad about having one, I'm saying people like to use it as a status symbol, that is bad. Adding such a symbol onto a Mustang could be construed as contradictory to the image of a Mustang as the two are somewhat exclusive.
Old 4/27/04, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got a question for you that have navigation in your vehicles.. Is there a monthly fee or subscription that goes with it? Or do you just pay for the feature and then use it free after that? I thought someone said it was an extra couple thousand which seemed high to me but I guess if it's useful to you go for it..
Old 4/27/04, 05:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Its free, the unit just costs from 1200-3000 bucks. If you ACTUALLY need GPS to find where you are going, there is no reason to buy anything more then the Garmin Street Pilot, it has EVERYTHING you can possibly need, at $1200 bucks and fully transportable to another car(so your beater has nav, your rental car has nav, your wife's car has nav). Tons of waypoints, color touch screen, voice commands, does not affect factory or aftermarket stereos, does not require CD's, no worry about resale values(just take it out when your done with the car), theft deterrent (leave it on the hall table at night), mount it anywhere, why get anything else???? Garmin makes $50,000+ units for aircraft, they know their stuff.

Old 4/27/04, 06:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

And if you NEEDED IT THAT BAD, why dont you have it now?
Old 4/28/04, 06:34 AM
GT Member

one thing that sucks about aftermarket GPS units is that they do not cut out the stereo when the unti gives a voice command. OEM ones do this. So if you are using one in an unfamiliar area, you have to be careful that you can still hear it over your music.

Me not likey. Me likey music loud!
Old 4/28/04, 07:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

If I am lost(which NEVER happens ) I am usually not cranking the stereo. Plus if your jamming the stereo with the windows down, it would sound dumb if it kept saying LEFT TURN........LEFT TURN...........YOU MISSED YOUR TURN.......... in the middle of a Linkin Park song :shock:
Old 4/28/04, 07:30 AM

Don't need it. Never said I did. GPS Nav systems were never even on my radar until I shopped for this car. But now that I'm presented with the option, I'm taking it for the aforementioned reasons.

I'm definitely keeping the factory unit as its voice system also controls the hvac and audio, it has a nice big 8" touch screen and its covered under the vehicle warranty. I never even heard of the Garmin systems until now. They sound like sweet little units though.