2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Wife Just Put First Scratch On Her

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/06, 03:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div align="left">Driving down the road, we hear sirens coming from behind us, she pulls to the right and I warn her be careful of the curb. This road is two lanes as we come up to the intersection plenty of room for the ambulance to pass, but NOOOoo she slams right into the curb. I thought I'd be a good guy and offer to let her drive, because she usually has to (beg - her term) to use the stang. At least now she won't be asking much anymore. 15 months without a scratch I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

I remember seeing some posts awhile back on different techniques folks used to fix the curb rash on the rims, but my searches didn't turn up anything. Any suggestions? It's just scratched up a bit, definitely not bad enough that it would need replacing. I have the 17" upgraded rims.</div>

Let's not flame the wife now, she feels pretty bad about it and offered to buy me a new rim. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/love.gif[/img]
Old 4/25/06, 03:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh I won't [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/flamethrower.gif[/img] the wife. I'm sure she feels bad enough as it is. With that said I've heard of various products that can be used to remove light scratches, but if they're anything more then that I'm not sure they'd work.
Old 4/25/06, 03:56 PM
Cobra Member

Take it from a guy who has a Satin Silver, CHROME looks real good right about now with some new rims.
Old 4/25/06, 04:08 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(icemant180 @ April 25, 2006, 5:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
<div align="left">Driving down the road, we hear sirens coming from behind us, she pulls to the right and I warn her be careful of the curb. This road is two lanes as we come up to the intersection plenty of room for the ambulance to pass, but NOOOoo she slams right into the curb. I thought I'd be a good guy and offer to let her drive, because she usually has to (beg - her term) to use the stang. At least now she won't be asking much anymore. 15 months without a scratch I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

I remember seeing some posts awhile back on different techniques folks used to fix the curb rash on the rims, but my searches didn't turn up anything. Any suggestions? It's just scratched up a bit, definitely not bad enough that it would need replacing. I have the 17" upgraded rims.</div>

Let's not flame the wife now, she feels pretty bad about it and offered to buy me a new rim. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/love.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
My wife has done that a couple of times to her little Beetle Turbo. It's an automatic. That's another reason my Mustang is a Manual. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 4/25/06, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks like its time for you to put four new wheels and tires on your birthday/Christmas list. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 4/25/06, 04:37 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't ever let a girl drive your car unless you just started dating her and you're trying to get her to put out
Old 4/25/06, 04:41 PM
Cobra Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img]
Old 4/26/06, 12:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img]
Old 4/26/06, 02:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

atleast it was just the stock rim. i would be out alot more if i had one of my wheels curb checked lol but my wife is more important to me then any wheel or car so it wouldnt be a big deal anyway. oh and my wife is just as careful if not more careful then i am with our vehicles.
Old 4/26/06, 07:03 AM
Cobra Member

Depending on how damaged the rim is and the type of finish on the damaged area, I've taken sand paper and completely removed curb rash before. Aluminum is easy to sand. It doesn't come out perfect, but removing the rough edges on the damaged area makes it less visable, especially if it is just on the lip next to the tire.
Old 4/26/06, 07:27 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Let's not flame the wife now, she feels pretty bad about it and offered to buy me a new rim. [/b][/quote]
Doesn't she know that purchasing only one new rim will offset the balance of the car. You will have to break the bad news to her that 4 new rims will need to be purchased to maintain that balance. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 4/26/06, 07:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vc4life @ April 26, 2006, 4:01 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
l but my wife is more important to me then any wheel or car so it wouldnt be a big deal anyway. oh and my wife is just as careful if not more careful then i am with our vehicles.
[/b][/quote]
Hmm, someone's wife was looking over their shoulder as they typed a response. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 4/26/06, 07:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

hahaha...maintain balance...lol

I'm still hesitant to teach my girlfriend how to drive a standard....I'm not sure I want to go down that road. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] At least the lesson would be in a rental car.
Old 4/26/06, 10:47 AM
GT Member

Man you guys are ruthless! All the female bashing is hurting my eyes!

I saw an ad on a guy's truck the other day advertising Curb Damage Repair. There are evidently a few companies that are mobile and they come to your work or residence and do something to smooth out the curb damage. I have no clue how they do it but it is worth looking into on the web.
Old 4/26/06, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

"I used to love her, but I had to kill her..."
Old 4/26/06, 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

I've already repaired one of my stock rims with some sandpaper to take out the deep marks, then a dremel with a polishing brush type attachment to polish it all out. It looked pretty darned good until my ex-gf curbed it at the mall. I warned her that the car was very close to the curb but she didn't listen. Oh well, it can be fixed.
Old 4/26/06, 02:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Hmmmmm...

I am thinking that a divorce is in order... you could buy new rims with your half of the community property!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 4/26/06, 09:44 PM
GTR Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/postpics.gif[/img]
Lets see it!!
Old 4/27/06, 06:24 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frdtch05gt @ April 26, 2006, 3:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I've already repaired one of my stock rims with some sandpaper to take out the deep marks, then a dremel with a polishing brush type attachment to polish it all out. It looked pretty darned good until my ex-gf curbed it at the mall. I warned her that the car was very close to the curb but she didn't listen. Oh well, it can be fixed.
[/b][/quote]

horrifying

did she at least show you how sorry she was?
Old 4/27/06, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

The suggestions on sanding out the scratch do actually work pretty well. Just be sure to keep using progressively finer grits of sand paper to take out all the marks (you should probably end with an 800 or 1200 grit paper). Also be sure to feather it out on the edges beyond the scrap itself so it's gradual, and - then - the only other step that the others left out - would be to go over the area with a little clear coat touch up so it doesn't look dull, and to seal the edges between the repaired area and the factory clear (this will help the other clear coat from peeling on the edges of the damaged spot). It'll last a couple or three years, then you'll likely need to sand if off and re-clear it again.

Quick Reply: Wife Just Put First Scratch On Her