2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Wierd problem when i went to balance my wheels at walmart

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/08, 07:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wierd problem when i went to balance my wheels at walmart

I brought the car in to get balanced (shelby razors, with the special smaller lug nuts) and the guy said he cant balance the wheels because he cant torq it he told my wife that because its nut a regular lug nut he cant do it because it's not safe. Anyone else having this problem with a different kind of lug nut???? The cylidrical one. i know i didnt spell that right. oh well. thanks guys
Old 11/23/08, 08:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Gorrilla locking lug nut and havent had an issues. I had mine balanced at Ford.
Old 11/23/08, 08:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I think WalMart is your first mistake..Take them to someone who specializes in tires or knows the ins and outs of your car. WalMart is fine for some things, but when it comes to cars and service, you get what you pay for.
Old 11/23/08, 09:00 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ford4me
I have the Gorrilla locking lug nut and havent had an issues. I had mine balanced at Ford.
So you are saying these lug nuts do not have to be torqed??? i have those same lug nuts

Do they just have to be tightned really hard? thank you for your help
Old 11/23/08, 09:33 AM
V6 Member

My wheels are balanced and torqued and havent had any issues. I check them periodically.
Old 11/23/08, 10:09 AM
Cobra Member

just needed a balance

Last edited by touring; 11/23/08 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11/23/08, 04:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Tiberius1701
Well, I think WalMart is your first mistake..Take them to someone who specializes in tires or knows the ins and outs of your car. WalMart is fine for some things, but when it comes to cars and service, you get what you pay for.
Amen to this. Don't take your Mustang to Wal Mart. Its kind of taking your Siberian Tiger to the local vet clinic. Just about anything they do (if they do it) will be a guess.
Old 11/23/08, 05:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
is there a discount tire near by?
Old 11/23/08, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All lug nuts have a torque specification, they vary application to application. If you are going to take your car to Wal-Mart for any type of service be prepared to get crapy incompetent service.

Please take your Shelby razors with the special smaller lug nuts to a REAL tire shop to have them done.

Originally Posted by touring
I brought the car in to get balanced (shelby razors, with the special smaller lug nuts) and the guy said he cant balance the wheels because he cant torq it he told my wife that because its nut a regular lug nut he cant do it because it's not safe. Anyone else having this problem with a different kind of lug nut???? The cylidrical one. i know i didnt spell that right. oh well. thanks guys
Old 11/23/08, 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

Yea, i know i know. It looks like we might be getting a new vehical because my wife is tired of this stang so i am putting the wheels up for sale.... They have about 10miles on them. Make me a offer!!!!
Old 11/24/08, 06:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I always bring my wheels and tires to Wal-Mart. I never let them touch my car, I just bring the wheels and tires. They are priced the best for this type of service. Discount, Belle, Sears, Firestone, and Goodyear charge at least $15-$30 per tire! Wal-Mart offers a lifetime warranty on the balancing and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to mount tires, install new valve stems, and do the balancing on the machine. Why pay more for this service? The one thing you have to watch out for is if they use the special guides to prevent scratching alloy wheels, and if they use the stick on weights for alloy wheels. Discount / Belle usually know what to do but again they're not cheap either. I hate buying new tires because it always costs $500 or more for the new tires and service.
Old 11/24/08, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Walmart is good for 2 things: Ammo & oil change supplies.
Old 11/24/08, 09:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

And tire mounting/balancing for $7.50 per wheel with a new valve stem.
Old 11/25/08, 10:17 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by Silverback
Walmart is good for 2 things: Ammo & oil change supplies.

Old 12/29/08, 03:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by touring
I wouldn't let someone @ Wal-Mart that doesn't have a clue what they are doing touch my car ! I'm sure they'd not even know what the TPM is about (tire Pressure monitoring ) system that our cars have. I spend the $10.00 more and go some where they know what they are doing !
My sister let them do an oil change once and when he was putting the plug back in he stripped it broke the nut off inside the oil pan and told her it will now cost here over $1,200.00 to fix ? they did it & they fixed it at thier expence, really is it worth it to take a nice car like this there
Old 12/30/08, 05:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

They're not the sharpest tools of the bunch, but Wal-Mart offers the least expensive installation for tires. Belle and Discount charge 5 times as much. I always take my wheels and tires to Wal-Mart because I don't trust anyone with the car - not even the idiots at Belle, Discount, or Costco.
Old 12/30/08, 06:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Walmart won't touch my wheels and tires because the are aftermarket. I had to go through 5 different tire stores until I found one Firestone that could even put them on, and balance for 30 bucks each.
Old 12/30/08, 07:26 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
I wouldn't let someone @ Wal-Mart that doesn't have a clue what they are doing touch my car ! I'm sure they'd not even know what the TPM is about (tire Pressure monitoring ) system that our cars have. I spend the $10.00 more and go some where they know what they are doing !
My sister let them do an oil change once and when he was putting the plug back in he stripped it broke the nut off inside the oil pan and told her it will now cost here over $1,200.00 to fix ? they did it & they fixed it at thier expence, really is it worth it to take a nice car like this there
Originally Posted by metroplex
I always bring my wheels and tires to Wal-Mart. I never let them touch my car, I just bring the wheels and tires. They are priced the best for this type of service. Discount, Belle, Sears, Firestone, and Goodyear charge at least $15-$30 per tire! Wal-Mart offers a lifetime warranty on the balancing and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to mount tires, install new valve stems, and do the balancing on the machine. Why pay more for this service? The one thing you have to watch out for is if they use the special guides to prevent scratching alloy wheels, and if they use the stick on weights for alloy wheels. Discount / Belle usually know what to do but again they're not cheap either. I hate buying new tires because it always costs $500 or more for the new tires and service.
Metro...
You must have the one Walmart in the entire country that can do tires right.
I have a couple of local shops that can do tires and fancy rims excellently and at good prices.
There are a lot more around here that are just plain lousy.
Old 12/30/08, 03:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I mist have gotten a good deal knowing people at Sears. $50 for mounting, balancing, and an alignment check when I got my new wheels...
Old 12/30/08, 07:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I had a tire/rim balaced at walmart today. 5 bucks and they did a fine job

Quick Reply: Wierd problem when i went to balance my wheels at walmart