2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is it that whenever other people handle your car, something always goes wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/08, 05:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it that whenever other people handle your car, something always goes wrong!

I just brought my car in to have its 5,000 miles service. I assume all they did was change the oil and oil filter. When I walk up to the car, it is all wet meaning they washed it, fine. But then I notice all these fine scratches meaning it went through an automatic wash. These scrached are extremely noticeable. I just had the car detailed and waxed, now it looks like crap.
Then when I start it up, it sounded TERRIBLE. I have Macs, and it sounded like the stock mufflers were on. It sounded all airy and very tame. All the deepness was gone! Does this have something to do with part of the servicing? Will the deepness come back?
Old 1/7/08, 05:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

There's no way they could've messed with the "deepness" of your mufflers. I think it's all in your head.
Old 1/7/08, 05:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
They could have soaked the intake with the high pressure wash.
Less intake = less exhaust.
Old 1/7/08, 05:58 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I hate letting anyone but my mechanic work on any of my cars, I've known him for years and aside from great work, he has a fantastic price.
Old 1/7/08, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks!! This is why have a note i keep in the car that says DO NOT WASH MY CAR NO MATTER WHAT!! And it is well known to my Service wroter as well.
Old 1/7/08, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jmanpatsfan
I just brought my car in to have its 5,000 miles service. I assume all they did was change the oil and oil filter. When I walk up to the car, it is all wet meaning they washed it, fine. But then I notice all these fine scratches meaning it went through an automatic wash. These scrached are extremely noticeable. I just had the car detailed and waxed, now it looks like crap.
You ALWAYS need to specify "wash by hand" or "don't wash" when you bring your black car in for service.

We have an automatic car wash here at work and I was lazy and ran my car through it a couple of times. Now I have the worst scrathes I have ever seen in my rear bumper. Doh! that's what I get for being lazy.
Old 1/7/08, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had no idea they would wash it.
Old 1/7/08, 08:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Rule 1 - DIY everything
Old 1/7/08, 09:02 PM

Bad expieriances at shops and dealers have lead me to do all my own work on all of my cars. no one touchs my toys except me.
Old 1/7/08, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Do your own service if possible (i.e. change the oil, air filter, cabin air filter and coolant yourself)...and try to limit your visits to the dealership for only absolutely needed matters...the 5K service is something they dreamed up to get you there so they can make some money...
Old 1/7/08, 11:33 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
They could have soaked the intake with the high pressure wash.
Less intake = less exhaust.
Do you mean, soaked the airbox? You can wash the engine down all you like with typical carwash pressure, I wash my engine pretty much every time I was my car - to the point that water is standing around the coil boots, never had a problem.
Old 1/8/08, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just drove the car again and the deepness is back. I swear it sounded differenly yesterday. But the scratches certainly didnt go away.
Old 1/8/08, 08:07 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

get it buffed by a professional, it will take the scratches out
Old 1/8/08, 08:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dustindu4
get it buffed by a professional, it will take the scratches out
He stated that he just had it DETAILED. They shouldn't have wash it. Some dealers do however.
Old 1/8/08, 08:31 AM
Cobra Member

You know what you might want to try. Go back to the dealer and go up to the Service Advisor you use and Tell him while I appreciate the fact that you guys were trying to be nice and wash my car I had it detailed last week and it appears as though you ran it through and Automatic car wash and I now have swirls and scratches in the paint caused by the wash. Is there anyway you would be willing to pay for me to have my car re detailed to remove the scratches. Be polite about it do not get angry at them.
Old 1/8/08, 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

They left a note on the dash saying

"Thank you for your business. I take great pride in my work. If for anyreason you are not COMPLETELY SATISFIED with your service experience today please contact our management staff at xxx"

The moto of the dealership is "You will be satisfied." Its all over the walls.
I will certainly call them and hint that I want a free detail.
Old 1/8/08, 08:43 AM
GT Member

I specifically tell my dealership to do only what I brought the car in for. If they want to hang an air freshener I make them call me first. It's different for the car shops I use because I've been to them several times and trust them, but never let the dealership do anything to the car that you don't want messed up, because chances are it'll get messed up.

A friend of mine brought her car into the dealership she had bought it from right before driving down for my sister's wedding. She just wanted the oil and filter changed and a tune up because it was a rather long drive; just to be cautious. Well they changed the filter and drained the oil, but forgot to add any back in. The next day while driving it the car literally caught fire; my friend is not a 'car person,' I doubt she even looks at the temperature gauge. Motto of the story, don't trust dealerships, they're dumb. Oh, and look at your temperature gauge every once and a while, people, it can save you alot of money.
Old 1/8/08, 08:49 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Krazed
. Oh, and look at your temperature gauge every once and a while, people, it can save you alot of money.
No truer words could be spoken. And if it gets hot STOP DRIVING!
Old 1/8/08, 09:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Krazed
...Well they changed the filter and drained the oil, but forgot to add any back in. The next day while driving it the car literally caught fire; my friend is not a 'car person,' I doubt she even looks at the temperature gauge. Motto of the story, don't trust dealerships, they're dumb. Oh, and look at your temperature gauge every once and a while, people, it can save you alot of money.
Scary to say the least. I had my oil changed at the stealership this morning. I better go check it asap
Old 1/8/08, 02:02 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

change the oil yourselves! christ!

Quick Reply: Why is it that whenever other people handle your car, something always goes wrong!