2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Why so many used 05's for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/05, 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Was checking out the local paper yesterday and saw an '05 GT with 750 miles on it for sale, all over ebay they're for sale, plus other places I've seen... Are people dissatisfied with it or are they going with an '06? I'm thinking maybe selling it for more than they paid for it as demand is still nuts and making a profit.

Just don't want to find out that people are starting to dislike them.... :scratch:
Old 8/2/05, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sincerely think that it is a combination of people wanting to make a profit and people who couldn't really afford it. Of course there might have been people unhappy with their purchase, but I believe they are a few.

Me personally, I could care less who likes or doesn't like what I drive. As long as I am happy. And this mustang has put a never-ending grin on my face
Old 8/2/05, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the can't really afford and want to make a profit people outnumber the dissatisified people. Just my opinion though.
Old 8/2/05, 12:41 PM
Cobra Member

Someone selling one with 750 miles on it can only be a case of buyer's remorse. I was reading that it hits something like 75% of people that buy new cars. Most get over it, some sell their cars.

You also have to factor in the people who buy one thinking that even though they have a spouse and kids, they can make the Mustang work. Then the newness of it wears off and they realize what a huge mistake they've made. Then it's off to buy a 4 door.
Old 8/2/05, 12:57 PM

You have to remember that a lot of dealerships are using eBay to help sell their cars.

I agree some of it is buyer's remorse, some are people buying more than they can afford and finally, some are selling so they can get the Shelby..

Purchasing cars is one of the highest impulse items that people buy, regardless of manufacturer. Add on the hype from this year's new body style and appeal of being the ONLY American muscle car left, you are going to have a few people who change their minds....
Old 8/2/05, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

All great ideas, but I think it's people that want to turn a profit. Maybe a combination of wanting a profit and wanting an 06. Whatever the reason is, I could care less, mine is great, I get very happy every time I drive it!
Old 8/2/05, 01:02 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know 2 people that just "had to have" the new Mustang GT. They never factored in the fact that there was no possible way they could afford the monthly payments and the insurance. Both sold their cars within 3 months of receiving them.
Old 8/2/05, 01:18 PM
FR500 Member

Yup, it's a common thing that happens with a "hot commodity" like this. People rush out and buy, not taking into consideration what the real costs are.
Old 8/2/05, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Lime-N-Dah-CocoNut@August 2, 2005, 1:00 PM
You have to remember that a lot of dealerships are using eBay to help sell their cars.

I agree some of it is buyer's remorse, some are people buying more than they can afford and finally, some are selling so they can get the Shelby..

Purchasing cars is one of the highest impulse items that people buy, regardless of manufacturer. Add on the hype from this year's new body style and appeal of being the ONLY American muscle car left, you are going to have a few people who change their minds....
My dealer called me a couple months after I bought mine to try and buy it back from me and he would give me a deal on a Saleen. I told him not in this lifetime. They are buying them back and selling them for considerable markup.
Old 8/2/05, 01:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think adrenalin has hit the nail on the head. I don't know how many people I've seen join this forum saying 'when should I order since I won't have the down payment until ...' Cars have a cost of ownership that is much more than just the monthly payment. Insurance, gas, mods all add up quickly and for people that have a hard time getting a down payment together, this extra cost doesn't become evident until a few months after getting the car. Most new cars depreciate about 20% as soon as they leave the lot... at least the people turning the GT's over quickly are not taking a complete bath on them since demand is still high.
Old 8/2/05, 01:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

How often can you sell a used car for more than MSRP on a new one? :scratch:
Old 8/2/05, 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Most of it comes down to affordability as stated.
Has anyone ever gone through a neighborhood where the "rich" people live?
You will notice that 30 - 50 % of the houses are for sale (At least in my neck of the woods). Most of that is the same thing. some are not. There are job transfers, divorce and other things that cause people to sell things off, but the majority and I mean Majority with a capitol M can't afford them.
By the way, I don't see any for sale. New or used. You have to remember that if your seeing them on ebay that this represents the entire country and then some. As a percentage of units sold, I would bet the number would be very low.

IMHO.
Old 8/2/05, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Some of 'em are demos too, or the Mustang the GM or GSM has been driving. Gotta move those outta the way so they can score an '06 and drive that!
Old 8/2/05, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I just got mine today after waiting and nobody would pay what it would take to get "The Beast" away from me. We kept the 4-door for the family, this baby is for the adults. We saved up and could have paid cash but will use the cash for a new garage instead. I need a good place to display the car and keep it out of the weather. Good credit made car loan cheaper than line of credit or 2nd.
Old 8/2/05, 05:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with adrenalin. I spent about a year and a half planning on how I would afford this car. I bet there are hundreds of people out there that just bought this car because it was "in" without considering costs for insurance, gas, repairs (if necessary).. etc etc.
Old 8/2/05, 05:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Me personally, I could care less who likes or doesn't like what I drive. As long as I am happy. And this mustang has put a never-ending grin on my face
[/quote]

I second that. The smile gets wider by the mile.
Old 8/2/05, 08:15 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

A good salesperson gets a customer to buy a car they don't need or can't afford. Once those monthly bills start arriving in the mail, reality sets in some people have to unload.

With the 05 Mustangt there was so much buzz on it that a lot of people got stinked up in the excitement and bought them because "they gotta have one". A few months later they have to face reality that what they really needed was a family sedan or SUV.

I bought my 01 GT used. It was almost brand new, but the poor stinker who bought it new decided a few months later to get married and needed to get out of his Mustang loan so he could get his mortgage approved.

I almost bought a 2003 Mach 1 that had only 2K miles on it and was only 3 months old. The original owner bought it without his wife's approval and he traded it back to the dealer for a wife approved Explorer.
Old 8/2/05, 08:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I must say, I am surprised that as I left my complex this evening to get some ice cream (whoops, there goes the diet) low and behold, there is a v-6 '05 sitting up there on the street for sale. Redfire with a bra on the front. I'm very surprised I haven't seen the car before, but I'd bet it's a financial decision on the sale.

Must admit as well that I was quite surprised to see it, and wondered many of the things people are discussing here.

:scratch:
Old 8/2/05, 08:40 PM
Cobra Member

Yep a lot of people trying to either turn profit or brake even on something they played with for a while and now they need something different. Or quickly got tickets and now they cannot aford the insurnace costs. Anyone who really knew what they wanted and needed are not considering selling.