2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Why does my 2005 V6 Mustang get 14 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/08, 10:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does my 2005 V6 Mustang get 14 MPG

Yes, My 2005 V6 4.0 Mustang only get 14 MPG city. With lots of highway i might get 17 MPG if im lucky. If im not mistaken this car is supposed to get 19 city and 25 highway. I know the epa estimate is just a estimate and it ranges but seriously, im getting screwed here.

I know ive read of many GT's on here get 20-25 MPG. I dont get it. I have the V6 which is supposed to get better mileage and i dont even come close. I think from what ive read i might have THE worst mpg on the forum.

I keep my tires properly inflated and make sure the tread is good. im using stock 16 rims and wheels. I have a KN air filter. I dont drive like a nut with heavy acceleration all the time. I change my oil every 3000. but it doesnt make a difference. I have 46,000 miles on it and since i bought it i have averaged 13-15 mpg.

maybe its cuz i weight 200 pounds and keep a lot crap in the trunk usually btw i got my mustang back in november 04 when they first came out off the showroom.i think i had the first one in my county maybe state.

any suggestions on how to get the MPG up. do those booster things they sell at pep boys really work? maybe better tires?

Last edited by raekwon888; 10/23/08 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10/23/08, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't know why your mileage is so low. My GT averages about 16 in the city, and 26 on the hwy.
Old 10/23/08, 10:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by raekwon888
Yes, My 2005 V6 4.0 Mustang only get 14 MPG city. With lots of highway i might get 17 MPG if im lucky. If im not mistaken this car is supposed to get 19 city and 25 highway. I know the epa estimate is just a estimate and it ranges but seriously, im getting screwed here.

I know ive read of many GT's on here get 20-25 MPG. I dont get it. I have the V6 which is supposed to get better mileage and i dont even come close. I think from what ive read i might have THE worst mpg on the forum.

I keep my tires properly inflated and make sure the tread is good. im using stock 16 rims and wheels. I have a KN air filter. I dont drive like a nut with heavy acceleration all the time. I change my oil every 3000. but it doesnt make a difference. I have 46,000 miles on it and since i bought it i have averaged 13-15 mpg.

maybe its cuz i weight 200 pounds and keep a lot crap in the trunk usually btw i got my mustang back in november 04 when they first came out off the showroom.i think i had the first one in my county maybe state.

any suggestions on how to get the MPG up. do those booster things they sell at pep boys really work? maybe better tires?

I suggest you unhook the travel trailer you're pulling everywhere - your mileage will perk up once it's just the car again.
Old 10/23/08, 10:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
On a serious note, do you live in hilly terrain? I do, and I only average about 11-13 mpg city. But, on a flat highway I can pull 24+ mpg at 60 mph (not bad for a supercharged GT).

Also, do your local gas stations sell oxygenated gas year 'round (vs just winter months)? Or, maybe you're getting too much ethanol blended into the unleaded at your local stations (up to 10% is legal, I believe, but rumors exist about much more being passed on to consumers). Either will reduce fuel economy and both practices are more and more common.
Old 10/23/08, 11:14 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Try shifting gears under the red line.
Old 10/23/08, 11:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You've had it since the beginning of the S-197's. and you're just complaining now??? Trade that sucker in on an 09. (Don't mention your gas mileage.) Stick or Auto? High elevation or Low? Watch your Tach. Cruising should be around 1800. Seriously, I'd trade in the V-6 while dealers are looking to unload the last of the S-197's. You'd get a great deal on a V-8. And probably a fair price for your's, even though they really don't want trade-ins, at least you have a 6 for them not not another 8 to collect dust. Shine it up, and go dealer shopping.
Old 10/24/08, 05:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
seriously. Some engines just return bad gas mileage. Sometimes its the way its was built or the combo of that and the way you drive. If everything checks out okay and no check engine light is on its just the way it is. I have another car that does the same thing. Its not even close to the rated city mileage (non Ford) and on a forun no one gets the bad city mileage we get. Had it to the dealer twice and everythign checks out fine. Its just the way it is.. You may sell yours and buy another v6 and it will get the rated mileage. BVTW- my GT conv gets almost 22 combined..
Old 10/24/08, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

How are you measuring MPG? Is it the average from the trip computer, or pencil and paper, or by the # of gallons at fill up, etc?

By the trip computer and by calculating the number of gallons used between fill ups by hand, I usually get between 16-18 mpg in the city, depending on how much I get stuck in traffic, if I drive aggressively or moderately,etc.
Old 10/24/08, 04:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
You've had it since the beginning of the S-197's. and you're just complaining now??? Trade that sucker in on an 09. (Don't mention your gas mileage.) Stick or Auto? High elevation or Low? Watch your Tach. Cruising should be around 1800. Seriously, I'd trade in the V-6 while dealers are looking to unload the last of the S-197's. You'd get a great deal on a V-8. And probably a fair price for your's, even though they really don't want trade-ins, at least you have a 6 for them not not another 8 to collect dust. Shine it up, and go dealer shopping.
hmmm....

lol i used to have a camaro that got like 8 mpg so i was happay at first to be getting the 14. but with GTs getting better mileage and gas recently being at 4 bucks ive been getting a little distraught at the situation.

its auto btw and the elevation is low with pretty much no hills.i live right outside nyc.

i wonder how much the differece would be for a V8 maybe ill check one out down the line. id probably uprade for under 5 grand
Old 10/24/08, 04:21 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
How are you measuring MPG? Is it the average from the trip computer, or pencil and paper, or by the # of gallons at fill up, etc?

By the trip computer and by calculating the number of gallons used between fill ups by hand, I usually get between 16-18 mpg in the city, depending on how much I get stuck in traffic, if I drive aggressively or moderately,etc.

average from trip computer
Old 10/24/08, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Around NYC indicates you're probably doing a lot of idling -- if that's the case you're going to get low mileage -- because when you're sitting still with the engine running -- it is 0 MPG.

Take it on a weekend run on the interstate, set the cruise at 65, reset the computer when you start, and check the mileage -- that'll give you a good indication of what you can compare with.

I think that most of us don't idle as much as you likely do -- hence the differences.

My GT (and I only do pleasure and some commuting with it on pretty days) averages 20 -21. If I take it on the highway and peg 65 -- I'll get 26 or so.

Give it a try and good luck. I suspect the GT might get much poorer mileage if your driving is like I'm thinking.

If you don't have to sit in traffic alot -- it is only very slightly less than the 6.

Good Luck.
Old 10/24/08, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Correct
This is what I was going to type out for you...

Originally Posted by topbliss
seriously. Some engines just return bad gas mileage. Sometimes its the way its was built or the combo of that and the way you drive.
Old 10/24/08, 05:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take out the crap in the trunk. I weight 235 and get 31-33 mpg on the highway and about 24 in the city. Change the fuel filter and either clean the K&N filter or better yet get a Cold Air Induction kit. A tuner also helps. A bottle of Chevron Techron in the gas tank will probably help also.
Old 10/24/08, 06:09 PM
Retired Tms Staff

hmmm....

lol i used to have a camaro that got like 8 mpg so i was happay at first to be getting the 14. but with GTs getting better mileage and gas recently being at 4 bucks ive been getting a little distraught at the situation.

its auto btw and the elevation is low with pretty much no hills.i live right outside nyc.

i wonder how much the differece would be for a V8 maybe ill check one out down the line. id probably uprade for under 5 grand
Hmm, an 8mpg camaro and and a 14mpg mustang v6. Are you doing your math right when trying to figure out MPG? How heavy are your shoes?
Old 10/25/08, 06:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
Hmm, an 8mpg camaro and and a 14mpg mustang v6. Are you doing your math right when trying to figure out MPG? How heavy are your shoes?
well the camaro i was exadurating a bit. the 8mpg was attributed to some kind of mechanical problem i dont really know, as i stated before the car had constant problems. for my calculation im taking my miles per tank around 180-200 and when i fill up from empty the pump reads around 13.5 gallons filled. so 180/13.5 =13.3.

so yeah im getting worse than 14
Old 10/25/08, 07:13 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
well the camaro i was exadurating a bit. the 8mpg was attributed to some kind of mechanical problem i dont really know, as i stated before the car had constant problems. for my calculation im taking my miles per tank around 180-200 and when i fill up from empty the pump reads around 13.5 gallons filled. so 180/13.5 =13.3.

so yeah im getting worse than 14
Give me a dictionary definition of "exadurating" please.
Old 10/27/08, 09:08 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Try this. It is the procedure I use when figuring out mpg (I never trust the readout on the dash) http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-You...fficiency-(MPG)

Go to the gas station and fill up the fuel tank.
Record the mileage, before even pulling away from the pump. We will call this Mileage A.
Drive normally until the tank is less than half full.
Fill up the tank again (preferably at the same station using the same pump as pumps may be calibrated differently). This time, pay attention to how many gallons it takes to fill up the tank. This is usually shown at the pump.
Record the mileage again, just like before. We will call this Mileage B.
Subtract Mileage A from Mileage B. This will give you the number of miles you drove since your last fill-up.
Divide your answer by the number of gallons it took to fill up your tank. This will give you your car's MPG.
Old 10/27/08, 11:25 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by karman
Give me a dictionary definition of "exadurating" please.
i always have a problem spelling that word, but im pretty sure you know what i mean so dont be a jackass, thanks.
Old 10/27/08, 11:28 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
Try this. It is the procedure I use when figuring out mpg (I never trust the readout on the dash) http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-You...fficiency-(MPG)

Go to the gas station and fill up the fuel tank.
Record the mileage, before even pulling away from the pump. We will call this Mileage A.
Drive normally until the tank is less than half full.
Fill up the tank again (preferably at the same station using the same pump as pumps may be calibrated differently). This time, pay attention to how many gallons it takes to fill up the tank. This is usually shown at the pump.
Record the mileage again, just like before. We will call this Mileage B.
Subtract Mileage A from Mileage B. This will give you the number of miles you drove since your last fill-up.
Divide your answer by the number of gallons it took to fill up your tank. This will give you your car's MPG.
thats what i am doing. i dont have the mydash computer
Old 10/27/08, 01:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gf had a v6 Auto rental for a week or so, while her car was in the shop, and it Avg. 24mpg... She wasn't easy on the poor thing either!

Are you sitting at idle much? ..alot of traffic lights?

Nothing you buy to increase your mpg is really going to pay for itself unless you plan on owning the car a really long time.

Quick Reply: Why does my 2005 V6 Mustang get 14 MPG