2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Why do we even bother posting?

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/04, 03:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry us "NOOBs" are such a pain.... I personnally don't have a problem getting around theses sites and it took me a while before I made a post or even a comment. Your getting so many new people here, not only new to the Forum but new to the Mustang and people are getting excited about both. People want info or need help with something. Even if you've heard it a million times give the person an answer or don't and move on. I think it keeps things flowing and fresh, people put new spins or don't understand some threads so they ask for info in their own way. If your sick of reading re-post skip over it. Just let a post sit for 2-3 days without any action and move it to a different sub-forum. That's just my 2cents....
Old 12/23/04, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 12/23/04, 03:41 PM
Cobra Member

You guys than run the show here can do whatever works for the good of all and the website.
I look at from a few ways. Some times a posts question is very redundant. So you give the poster a quick answer to the question and the fact its been beat to death, please look up in Search, and let it dye. Some people just cannot get the search to work for them on certain topics myself included. Some are too lazy to try. Also you may have somebody come along give some new input that is helpfull. Plus how else are some folks going to get to there 10,000 posts if not answering old topics over and over. Hooked another one here! We always need new people to keep things interesting.
Old 12/23/04, 03:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

"Search" is not the end-all. More often than not in my experience, the search function of most sites (including TMS) does not yield the desired information.

The experts need to be patient with the rookies. Is it really that big a deal? Seems to be working for the most part. Topics move fast around here.

If you miss one day, the topics where you left off are on page 5+. It's hard to keep up with all the info, so please cut some slack if a question gets repeated. Just answer it quickly, refer to the old thread, and move on.

But don't think that the directive to "search" will solve all the problems. It's not that simple.
Old 12/23/04, 03:52 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

See? I just searched for 05 problems------And I retreived it........ I am regaining some of my lost senses!
Old 12/23/04, 04:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Dan+December 23, 2004, 2:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan @ December 23, 2004, 2:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-robs@December 23, 2004, 3:04 PM
I've moderated various forums in the past and have to say that you dance a fine line between keeping the forum clean and chasing off new people from posting. Beating a dead horse to you and me may be considered "a different angle on an existing issue" to someone else. Just seems to be the nature of message boards that some topics are going to get rehased... esp. when topics get buried in active forums like the '05 section here. Maybe highlighting the "search" feature more might help.
rob is right, though we've discussed things multiple times, many noobs are overwhelmed by the amount of information/topics on here. Though a search would probably answer many questions, many don't try that first unfortunately. Sometimes its just easier to ignore the post if it irritates you.

There isn't too much the mods can do about it short of making an FAQ section that would need its own server and to post a topic asking people to search first (which we've done).

Like Rob said, it just happens on messageboards such as this one. The longer you have been here, the more annoying you may find it. I've been here since the beginning, and let me tell you, I've seen a LOT of topics repeated.

I bet many of you (maybe even you Eric) posted something for the first time and though you haven't seen it before, I may have (lets assume). My point is, you're always going to have repeat posts. The larger the forum gets and the more new members, the more repeat posts. You can see it happen on all the other large mustang messageboards as well.

I think the fact that we split the mustang section into different areas helps as people will read the ongoing discussion in the area they are interested in and more often than not it will relate to their problem/question.

We were all noobs once..........The way I look at it, they are enthusiasts just like us who don't know what a search feature is quite yet. But I see potential.

Dan [/b][/quote]
How about requiring all posts to have an icon selected? Too many times I've clicked a post, expecting it to be an answer/observation/solution, when it is in fact a question :bang: Not that big of a deal really, but when you have to sneak quick looks at the forum at work you have to make the most of the time here B)