2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Who has got ticket since new Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/05, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Shea@April 20, 2005, 12:25 PM
That makes no sense. Radar detectors are passive, so there is no reason that cops would get any feedback on their gun. That is probably just a rumor that some cop started.
You are correct sir. Radar guns cannot detect a radar detector. However, there is devices that do detect radar detectors. All radio listening devices, including your radar detector, your AM radio alarm clock, etc, all emit a weak signal based on the signal they are tuned in to listen to.

In the late 80's early 90's law enforcement got clevor to that, and invented something called VG2, which basically is a radio reciever, that listens for this signal. Of course, radar detector manufactures quickly adapted, by doing fancy tricks to tune the signal of the radar detector, outside the range that VG2 listens to. Thats why alomost every high end radar detector now-a-days is VG2 indetectable.

However, as of the last few years, a new technology to replace VG2 has come along, called Spectre (and spectre 2 and 3). This is a technology that listens to a wider range of signals, and is more better at finding radar detectors.

The bad news is, that there are very very few, if any detectors, that are invincible to the latest spectre device. This is esp bad, for anyone in canada, who lives east of Saskatchewan, where detectors are illega.

The good news is, for everyone else, where detectors are legal, it really makes no difference at all, because they can't take your detector anyway.
Old 4/20/05, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mr_Vain77@April 20, 2005, 11:33 AM
I used to live in Virginia and it is the worst state when it comes to traffic tickets. The 5-0 need to quit harrassing everyday drivers and take care of real crime. I have heard a rumor that says they make commission from tickets. I am so glad I moved!

I know radar detectors are illegal in Virginia, dont know if you could get away with having one without being caught, but good luck !!
First of all....Welcome to the forums.

I see you're a Sigma Delta Beta. Means you're in college getting an education. Add this to your learning experience. Stopping speeders is their job. Live with it....accept the responsibility.... you're not in High School anymore. Welcome to the real world.

And no....they don't get a commission

And no...it's not the worst state for tickets. May be up there, but I'm sure we could all make a case for our own areas.

Get caught with a radar detector around here and you've got problems.
Old 4/20/05, 01:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A friend of mine got stopped by a state trooper a few weeks ago. The trooper told him that he detected my friends detector and shot him with the laser instead of radar. By the way, for those who might not know, some cops have nothing better to do than run radar and other traffic enforcement because that is what they are paid to do. In my department it's called the Traffic Division. That is all they do. They typically write more tickets in a week than I do in 6 months.
Old 4/20/05, 01:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Treadhead@April 20, 2005, 1:19 PM
In my department it's called the Traffic Division. That is all they do. They typically write more tickets in a week than I do in 6 months.
That drives me nuts. Thats more about revenue than criminal activity, IMO.
Old 4/20/05, 01:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by GhostTX+April 20, 2005, 1:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GhostTX @ April 20, 2005, 1:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Treadhead@April 20, 2005, 1:19 PM
In my department it's called the Traffic Division. That is all they do. They typically write more tickets in a week than I do in 6 months.
[/b][/quote]

Haha! How else are they gonna pay for that wonderful new hotel at the convention center?
Old 4/20/05, 01:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by GhostTX+April 20, 2005, 12:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GhostTX @ April 20, 2005, 12:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Treadhead@April 20, 2005, 1:19 PM
[/b][/quote]

A Car is a deadly weapon. Speeding, and then killing someone is a crime with a deadly weapon.

that IS criminal activity. Criminal activity is anything that is "breaking the law". Last time I checked, we have traffic laws.
Old 4/20/05, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, here in TN it's not an issue, because they're not illegal. But I heard that if you have a radar detector with a compass than it's ok. Because if you get stopped you just point out that it also has a compass & can be considered, I don't know, navigational equiptment or something.

Anyone else heard of this?
Old 4/20/05, 02:15 PM
V6 Member

Here's my take on speeding:

How fast is too fast? That is a question you cannot always answer. Me personally, I drive very slow and carefully when there is a reason to, but on a divided highway or interstate, I see no problem with exceeding the limit. There is a time and a place for going fast. When I'm driving along the residential roads, I go 25 mph or less, especially when there are children around. However, I am a big fan of finding a nice "fullback" on the interstate and tailing them, usually going around 80 mph and letting them catch the radar before me .

The argument against speeding is that it puts people and property in danger. My response to that is, how fast is too fast? If safety is the only concern, then why don't we have a universal 10 mph speed limit? Going 55 on the interstate is obviously too fast...there would be much fewer accidents if you could only go 10. Where do you draw the line?

Speed isn't the main cause of accidents...bad driving is. Cutting people off, aggressive driving, weaving in and out of lanes, that sort of thing. Roads with no speed limits exist (Autobahn), and I wish they would implement something of the sort here.

I'm not saying there should be no limits at all. They are necessary in places with a lot of pedestrians and other cars milling about, like residential neighborhoods and commercial districts. Just give me an Autobahn interstate system and I'll be happy

*prepares to get flamed*
Old 4/20/05, 02:17 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Driving the bright yellow speeding ticket I do...
I am petrified to do more than the occasional tire chirp in her. Honestly- I am sad and ashamed to say my poor undeserving mustang doesn't normally go more than 5 miles over post.
Old 4/20/05, 02:42 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Bookman@April 20, 2005, 11:55 AM
They are illegal in VA and although you may get a stealth install where the coppers can't see it, they will know you have it. Apperently, and I can't remember the exact story, they can tell becuase of the feedback the get on there gun. At least thats how I remember it. It's an extra fine on top of the speeding ticket and rumor has it they will rip your car apart to confiscate it.

I have had a valentine one detector in VA for years and have yet to be caught...
Old 4/20/05, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know what the laws are south of the border, but up here, if you are in a province that doesn't allow them, there is a way around getting your detector confiscated.

Keep an envelope in the car, that is stamped and addressed. Upon getting pulled over, stuff the detector into the envelope and seal it. Be sure you are not seen doing the actual stuffing and sealing. (Thats important)

Here, you need a warrant to open mail. Anything otherwise is against federal law. If the police officer did not actually witness you putting it into the envelope, he cannot force you to open it, without a court order.
Old 4/20/05, 02:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Traffic tickets do raise revenues for each County. The more tickets issued the more money potentially collected. The system isn't always fair either, if your fighting a ticket in the court system, remember where those traffic clerks draw their pay checks. On another note it is very easy for law enforcement to write tickets because of all the morons who don't have a clue about driving laws. Everytime I get behind the wheel I see people breaking the law, if the cops stopped everybody they saw for driving violations they would be writing tickets non stop. I have also heard that some Police Departments have monthly ticket quotas so towards the last days of each month they will set up speed traps or hide near a stop sign that people have a tendency to just slow down at and not stop to reach their quotas. That being the case be extra careful near the end of each month.
Old 4/20/05, 03:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by RottenRonny@April 20, 2005, 5:00 PM
I don't know what the laws are south of the border, but up here, if you are in a province that doesn't allow them, there is a way around getting your detector confiscated.

Keep an envelope in the car, that is stamped and addressed. Upon getting pulled over, stuff the detector into the envelope and seal it. Be sure you are not seen doing the actual stuffing and sealing. (Thats important)

Here, you need a warrant to open mail. Anything otherwise is against federal law. If the police officer did not actually witness you putting it into the envelope, he cannot force you to open it, without a court order.
Hey, you could just leave the detector in an unsealed envelope at all times, and poke a hole in a corner for the power cord. You'd leave the envelope open at one end so you could see the detector, and if you get pulled over, just unplug it and seal it up .
Old 4/20/05, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

If I drove from here to San Francisco at 65mph with ideal traffic it would take 1 hour, or 60 minutes. If I did 80mph it would take 49 minutes. Getting there 11 minutes quicker ain't worth it, at least in most cases. Do I like driving 80mph.....darn right I do. But I'm ready for the consequences if stopped as well.

I watch these jerks weaving in and out of traffic while I stay in my own lane only to see them get to their off ramp maybe 5-10 seconds before me. My response is usually; "Get a clue moron!"
Old 4/20/05, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Did 95 in a 55
learnt my lesson wont speed again
could kill someone speedings bad news
Old 4/20/05, 08:31 PM

I got one here in Texas. I admit I was speeding, but not as fast as I got the ticket for. I am meeting with the prosecuter to get it knocked down hopefully. And, the officer that pulled me over said...TWICE.... "Man, that's a really NICE car."