2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Whining when clutch is engaged - 05 GT manual

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/21, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining when clutch is engaged - 05 GT manual

Just like the title says, when I engage the clutch, in-gear or out-of-gear, I get a whining sound. Also the higher the rpms, the louder the whining (also being in-gear or out is not a factor).

I've had a mechanic say that it was the clutch bearing but what do you guys think? I'm assuming I'd have to take apart the whole clutch assembly to fix it so I should probably just mention it when I get my clutch changed.
Old 8/29/21, 02:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Yes. That's it. The rebels are there.

No, wait, that's an ESB flashback. Such a good instinct by Vader there...

Welcome, belatedly, to the forums, lurker!

From *waaaaaaay* over here... sure thing, that's it, pull that transmission and fix it. New throwout bearing is in order. And depending on the age of the clutch, new clutch. And depending on the overall condition of the flywheel... new that too. And definitely a new rear main seal for the engine, it's right there and it'd be almost silly to do everything right up to that thing and not do it then have it leak later on. Easy enough to do at that point.

Again, from waaaaay over here. If you don't trust the mechanic, get one you do trust. But it sounds like that's the thing from your description. That said, it's entirely possible it's not it, but one thing's for sure: The transmission sounds like it's coming out either way. Ostensibly. I ain't there to hear/inspect it myself.

Anyway, I do hope that helps, good luck!
Old 8/30/21, 10:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by GHades
Just like the title says, when I engage the clutch, in-gear or out-of-gear, I get a whining sound. Also the higher the rpms, the louder the whining (also being in-gear or out is not a factor).

I've had a mechanic say that it was the clutch bearing but what do you guys think? I'm assuming I'd have to take apart the whole clutch assembly to fix it so I should probably just mention it when I get my clutch changed.
If you have a mechanic change the clutch and he doesn't catch the throwout bearing ... then you didn't take it to a mechanic.
Old 8/30/21, 01:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Depends on the customer... some would go "THAT THING IS FINE STOP TRYING TO BILK ME FOR DOLLARS!"

I'm with you, by far, but lots of customers aren't... which is a dang shame. Definitely, though, new rear main seal and new throwout are automatics for my clutch swaps, no question.
Old 8/31/21, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Well, I'm guessing I worded it wrong. It's not that I meant he should automatically do the throw out bearing or rear main seal, but if a throwout bearing is a little rough or the seal is leaking, a mechanic is gonna note it and want to replace it / them. I always did my throw out bearings, but rear main seals then were two piece affairs so unless leaking, they were best left alone. I did have my flywheels resurfaced if they looked to need it. Would replace front shaft seal in the trans if it looked like leaked any too. Pilot bushings or bearings were easy to change too.

Last edited by tbear853; 8/31/21 at 08:37 PM.
Old 8/31/21, 10:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No, I probably read it wrong/read into it what I wanted to hear... read... gah, you know what I mean.

Andyway, I think they should be automagic replacements if you're in there. Doesn't cost enough to NOT do it and it's just two bolts in the hydraulic version, literally slips on the fork on a mechanical one (which one should also replace the pivot pin while they're there too, ya ask me...)

Well, maybe not if there's 10 miles on the things. Sure. 11 miles? Toss those old ones for sure.

But hey, everyone? Y'all do y'all and that'll... um... d'all? I think I messed that up...