2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When does one seak a replacment car

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/05, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frist let me say I utterly love driving this car, it has been a ton of fun however.....

/start whining

@ 3500 miles had to have the gas tank replaced
@ 5000 miles the high presure power stearing hose blew
@ 7000 miles I got the "poping noise" in the front end and had to have the strut bearings replaced
@ 14000 miles the transmission (manual) started to growl, had to replace

durring all this I have had the car in 14 times to take care of dash rattles and after 14 visits I still have rattles.....My wifes 91 accord with 150k miles on it rattles less...

So here I am at 17000 miles the new trany is hard shifting now so it looks like I get to have it replaced again (according to the dealer)

At what point does a person just ask for a replacment car and how does one start this process?

/end whining

Thanks
Old 7/20/05, 09:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

That really stinks... I'm sorry to hear you've had so many problems.

I wouldn't worry too much about the TSB-related issues - unfortunately, they just go with the territory on a first-model-year vehicle.

I hate to call any vehicle issues "normal," but other than the transmission issues, it does sound like you've been having the same types of issues as many others. That doesn't make it right - but you're definitely not alone.

With that said though, the transmission issues are troubling. My last car hand unending tranny issues (02 Altima V6). I loved the car (not too many quick four doors that can actually fit 5 full-size people), but couldn't wait to get rid of it. After a while, I just gave up on taking it in for service, since the problem never actually got fixed.

Anyway... the lemon laws differ by state, and so does the degree of difficulty. Sometimes it's an automatic buy-back situation. Sometimes it's a nasty court case with arbitration. I'd recommend taking a look at what the laws are in your state, and taking it from there.

But hopefully it won't come to that - hopefully if you do need your tranny fixed again, they'll do it right. If you're having the same problem you had previously, you may even want to consider taking it to a different dealership for evaluation (a 2nd opinion). The tranny tech could have something to do with it as well.
Old 7/20/05, 10:51 PM
Bullitt Member

check the lemon law for your state.

Go through ALL the papers you signed, some dealerships have you sign a non-arbitration agreement so you cant sue them.

Good Luck
Old 7/21/05, 02:19 PM
Cobra Member

Generally the very same problem three times without being corrected on the third attemp. Check with your State. The fact that they replaced the trans for you, may put you back at square one if the problems are not the same.

14 times for rattles? (ours is quiet) Sounds like somebody lost parts or small tool.

Check your owners manual for the information you need. Will give you numbers to call. You will need to start with Customer Service and then go up the chain.

Keep emotions out of it, just the facts.

Ask Customer Relations what they are going to do about your problems and if they cannot help you or you are not satisfied with the results. Ask them the information to file Arbitration (This is a written only arbitration by all parties.) Use Lemon-Law as a last resourse.

Dealers do not like to buy cars back, they would prefer to repair them. Do note: Once you file for Lemon-Law, any repair work for your vehicle will stop.

Disclaimer: I slept at a Holiday Inn a few times, or have friends there.

Good Luck