2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Whats the Best Tuner to buy for the Mustang? ? and CAI ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/07, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Whats the Best Tuner to buy for the Mustang? ? and CAI ? ?

Whats the best tuner out there for the mustang and the 87oc. gas tunes?

for a 2007 v6 Auto.

I would like something that would save alittle gas and be able to use as I up
grade things.

Will the Tuner stop the CEL from coming on with a CAI ?

As for the intake I'm lookngi for a CARB legal intake what do you guys think is
best? K&N or Steeda? or any otther CARB legals?

I have seen the Diablosport Predators on sale for about $299? as well I don't know where this tuner sits on the list?
Old 12/4/07, 04:54 PM
Cobra Member

Either a predator or an xcalibrator will do what you are looking to do. I have been shopping for sct units, and if you are buying a used one make sure the person unlocks it from the car first. I have seen lots of xcals out there for sale that are vin locked. SCT charges a fee to unlock them I believe.

If you plan on supercharging in the future many of them come with a tuner. but if you are staying N/A I would pick a good tuner (Bama, Brenspeed) and ask them which they prefer to tune with and buy that unit.

Stay away from proprietary units that are branded for specific applications as they will limit your options.
Old 12/4/07, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Arrow

proprietary units? That is not a Predator Right?

If I buy a Predator can I then buy tunes from companys like Bama and
then upload them to my Predator unit?

Will the Predator unit stop the CEL from coming on with CAI's ?

Originally Posted by Faber
Either a predator or an xcalibrator will do what you are looking to do. I have been shopping for sct units, and if you are buying a used one make sure the person unlocks it from the car first. I have seen lots of xcals out there for sale that are vin locked. SCT charges a fee to unlock them I believe.

If you plan on supercharging in the future many of them come with a tuner. but if you are staying N/A I would pick a good tuner (Bama, Brenspeed) and ask them which they prefer to tune with and buy that unit.

Stay away from proprietary units that are branded for specific applications as they will limit your options.
Old 12/4/07, 06:03 PM
Cobra Member

a predator will work fine and do exactly what you want as well as be able to get custom tunes as long as it is a u7140 (universal) and not a proprietary unit (like c&l or steeda for example)
Old 12/4/07, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Arrow

Is this the right one?
The one I was looking at for about $300 is the u7145

a predator will work fine and do exactly what you want as well as be able to get custom tunes as long as it is a u7140 (universal) and not a proprietary unit (like c&l or steeda for example)
Old 12/4/07, 10:37 PM
Bullitt Member

u7140 is for 05-06
u7145 is for 07-08

I'm 95% sure of this, so double check before you buy. Also, this is for the GT, I assume its the same for the v6, but again check with Predator, or Bamachips first. My vote for best CAI is C&L street, and I hear Bama does some nice things with it on the GT. I'm not sure if it fits on the v6, because of the smaller throttle body.
Old 12/4/07, 11:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by zaghloul
u7140 is for 05-06
u7145 is for 07-08

I'm 95% sure of this, so double check before you buy. Also, this is for the GT, I assume its the same for the v6, but again check with Predator, or Bamachips first. My vote for best CAI is C&L street, and I hear Bama does some nice things with it on the GT. I'm not sure if it fits on the v6, because of the smaller throttle body.
that sounds accurate.
Old 12/5/07, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Arrow

Great I heard that the C&L was sent in for CARB legal passing and
should pass in the next few mths. so I could then call and get a CARB sticker
from C&L ?
Old 12/5/07, 10:06 AM
V6 Member

Why would'nt a c&l predator work with a custom tune.I have one and there is still an option to import custom tunes? I have not tried yet though just wondering because I may take advantage of Bama's special.
Old 12/5/07, 10:25 AM
Cobra Member

Aren't the proprietary tuners locked to a specific tune? I know you can't just download the normal firmware from diablo. I would just buy a universal one, that way you know it is wide open. I bought the universal one for that reason. any tuners want to help clarify?
Old 12/6/07, 10:39 AM
V6 Member

Aren't the proprietary tuners locked to a specific tune? I know you can't just download the normal firmware from diablo. I would just buy a universal one, that way you know it is wide open. I bought the universal one for that reason. any tuners want to help clarify?
Talked to Diablo they said only difference between universal predator and a proprietary predator is that the universal is loaded with tunes for multiple cai's. They said no problem running custom tunes on a proprietary unit as all the functions are the same as universal. Now we know
Old 12/6/07, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Gleamin05
Talked to Diablo they said only difference between universal predator and a proprietary predator is that the universal is loaded with tunes for multiple cai's. They said no problem running custom tunes on a proprietary unit as all the functions are the same as universal. Now we know

Not exactly the whole truth, I have been researching this subject for the correct answer for the past week.
So here it is, if both versions are fully updated.
The U7140:
ยท Only works on 05/06 mustangs,
ยท Can be used on any CAI kit with supplied or free downloadable canned tunes from Diablo,
ยท Can buy and download custom tunes such as Bama tunes.
ยท The free 91 octane C&L CAI tune from Diablo is the same as the 91 octane tune that comes pre loaded on the CL7140.

If the CL7140 is fully updated:
ยท Can work on ALL 05/08 Mustangs.
ยท Have preloaded tunes for the C&L Street or racer intake.
ยท The tunes are the same except the timing adjustment for higher or lower octane.
ยท Can not be used on other CAI unless you purchase a custom tune (Bama) for it.
Old 12/6/07, 01:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BRENSPEED, BBK BMR SCT STEEDA MAC PYPES SLP MUSTANG PERFORMANCE PARTS