Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats with all the steriotyping guys?

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/04, 07:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Seems like every few topics I go into someone si trying to put everthing into its place.

ALL JAP CARS ARE UGLY
no all jap cars are not ugly. Many Jap cars look wuite good

PEOPLE WHO BUY MUSTANGS DO NOT CROSS SHOP WITH BMW
then why am I cross shopping 99m3s with 05 GT's?

A STANG DOESNT NEED NAV
I f I want NAV on my stang its my money not yours. Let us have the darn option!

A STANG DOESNT NEED HID's
Same as above

A STANG IS ALL ABOUT POWER! NOT CREATURE COMFORTS
then go drive your 71 godamnit

and the list goes on
Old 4/27/04, 07:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
why would you look for a 6 year old BMW, are you looking for wallet abuse or do you just like service writers?
Old 4/27/04, 07:56 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I am not going to try an answer for everyone but I will give my $.02 cents.

ALL JAP CARS ARE UGLY
Most of the ones spoken about are the "riced" versions. (Not the simply ones, but the ones with an over sized wing, over-sized chrome rims and coffee can exhaust.)

I think the Lexus IS300 is a great looking car, and even kinda like the original Integra Type-R (Simple and Fast).

That being said I would never own any.

A STANG DOESNT NEED NAV

There isn't a car on the market that quite matches the history, design, and heritage of the Mustang i.e., Bang for the Buck. NAV while good for some cars, may seem like overkill for a Mustang. However, the option may be appreciated by some.

HID, IMO would be a something for the Cobra, and an upgrade by choice for the GT and limited edition (Bullitt, Mach, Boss, etc.)

Again these are my opinions without getting too in depth.
Old 4/27/04, 07:59 PM
GT Member

I have to agree. I love Mustangs, but get tired of hearing the word "Rice" and everything that goes with it in every topic that is non-American. It gets old and looks bad on everyone.

Americans make cool cars, so do the Japanese.
Old 4/27/04, 09:08 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Rakshas@Apr. 28th, 2004, 1:25 AM
Seems like every few topics I go into someone si trying to put everthing into its place.

ALL JAP CARS ARE UGLY
no all jap cars are not ugly. Many Jap cars look wuite good

PEOPLE WHO BUY MUSTANGS DO NOT CROSS SHOP WITH BMW
then why am I cross shopping 99m3s with 05 GT's?

A STANG DOESNT NEED NAV
I f I want NAV on my stang its my money not yours. Let us have the darn option!

Same as above

A STANG IS ALL ABOUT POWER! NOT CREATURE COMFORTS
then go drive your 71 godamnit

and the list goes on
Forums are opinionated. Sometimes people's opinions don't match yours.

I could make the same arguements about stereotying:

THE 350Z, ..... IS BETTER THAN THE MUSTANG
Depends what you're looking for in a car.

WHY DOESN'T THE MUSTANG HAVE WHAT _____ CAR HAS?
That's because the mustang isn't the same car.

WHY DOESN'T THE STANG HAVE NAV?
Why not appreciate what the stang does offer and realize that you having features such as NAV means that the car will have to shift focus upscale, and away from an affordable sports car for the masses. More options = more configurations = increased assembly work = even more options of the same level of ammenity (ie. internet, voice controlled radio etc) = even more configs = more $$

People don't object to the option (which appears to cost others nothing), they object to changing what the mustang has always been: An affordable sports cars with basic ammenities, an excellent powertrain and (now) a nice interior. No upscale frills.

BMW's, G35 Coupe are all aimed towards the upscale market.

The other arguement you can make is that NAV isn't that expensive and really isn't upscale. True, but once you step over the boundaries of what the car should offer, you must leap with both feet and offer all the gizmoes and gadgets.

WHY DOESN'T THE STANG HAVE HID?
I really don't think there is a huge outcry from the mustang community for them. And same arguement as above.

THE STANG, THOUGH VASTLY IMPROVED IN EVERY WAY, IS STILL LACKING.....ESPECIALLY IN "CREATURE COMFORTS"
I think I'm a regular driver who knows what it takes to earn $30,000. I'm not sure what creature comforts you're missing? The interior looks mightly comfortable to me. Vibrating seats maybe for a massage on the way to work?

Just as you believe people don't focus on creature comforts or the like, I don't like when people are constantly picking apart the stang because it doesn't have this and that...yadayada.......How about what it does have? How about the strength of the interior and exterior? How about "I know I would have liked _____ but the other improvements made make this car worthwhile regardless"?

My point is, just as you get annoyed for people having stereotypes/opinions about why you aren't right, others are annoyed about the basis of YOUR complaints.

To quote Boomer, "Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one"
Old 4/27/04, 09:33 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Dan
hahah
did I say that? probably

Hey...reread your post..
I changed one thing...

Apparently the mustang had the aids
?!?
Old 4/27/04, 09:36 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Boomer@Apr. 28th, 2004, 3:36 AM
Dan
hahah
did I say that? probably

Hey...reread your post..
I changed one thing...

Apparently the mustang had the aids
?!?
LMAO. Thanks.

And yah, you said that.
Old 4/27/04, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can I ask one thing that has been driving me crazy? What is this "IMO" I see on like every other post I see? Drives me crazy I don't know why. LOL

As to this rice topic. Here is my 2 nickels.

Some cars look cool. Some don't. It's all a matter of opinion.

Uh huh!

Na uhh!!

Uh huh!!!

NUH UHH!!!!

UH HUH!!!!!
Old 4/27/04, 09:40 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

IMO = In my opinion
Old 4/27/04, 09:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

heres the true sterotype question ladies and gentlemen....

HOW MANY of the people who whine THE MOST about the car do you REALLY have a chance of acutally OWNING a new automobile in October?
Old 4/27/04, 09:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dan@Apr. 27th, 2004, 9:43 PM
IMO = In my opinion
Thanks dan..
Old 4/27/04, 09:45 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by kevinb120@Apr. 28th, 2004, 3:47 AM

HOW MANY of the people who whine THE MOST about the car do you REALLY have a chance of acutally OWNING a new automobile in October?
Looking at many on stangnet who cut up the stang and later stated they had tons of payments left on their current ride, I'd say few.

[EDIT: Just to be clear, Kev did say THE MOST. We all nitpick a bit]
Old 4/27/04, 10:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

http://www.acronymfinder.com/ Here is where i go to find em out. its helpful. I was annoyed b4 when i didnt know what IMO meant too.
This is a good quote, not to anyone BTW. "you want some cheese with that whine"
Old 4/27/04, 10:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@Apr. 28th, 2004, 3:47 AM

i whine about it. i could own it if i wanted, but i'm waiting for the SVT :P
Old 4/28/04, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Rakshas@Apr. 27th, 2004, 7:25 PM
ALL JAP CARS ARE UGLY
The G35, and 350Z are about the only ones I like. Everything else looks like trash IMO.
Old 4/28/04, 03:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions are fine, but when they start harassing other people or talking down to others for disagreeing, it gets ugly. Take for example all the threads about things that "should be an option". Even if you don't like the idea, what do you care if it's only an option. Like my sig and Rakshas said, it's that person's money, not yours. If you don't want it. Don't buy it. Yeebus!!
Old 4/28/04, 07:24 AM
GT Member

I second that, Decipher.
Old 4/28/04, 08:10 AM

While there may be a somewhat narrowminded and xenophogic streak among a few on this board, there are many others who take a broader, more open and fair minded view of performance cars. The trick is to discern the two.

As to the former, well, closed, made-up minds are hard to open to other points of view and often resort to simply denigrating anything that isn't a Mustang -- as they might narrowly perceive it.

As for the latter, you'll get an often spirited but well founded back-and-forth on many matters Mustang and otherwise. While I might not always agree, and vica-versa, they are interesting and as I have had my ideas and opinions changed, perhaps I've changed a few others.

I consider myself among the latter and make a concerted effort to introduce and raise different perspective and points of view rather than simply aping whatever prevailing thought or emotion. The Mustang, current or upcoming, regardless of the flaws it has, need not rely upon the weakness of other marques and models to be considered a fine car itself.

The Mustang too, through its long and varied history, has become sowewhat of a Rorschack test itself, with people seeing in it very different things, ranging from a pony car, muscle car, sport coupe, grand touring car, to flashy sub belt cruiser and probably a few other iterations.

In reality, and this probably goes to the heart of the Stang's enduring strength, is that at various times, it has been all these things to various people. One thing to avoid is pigeon-holing the Mustang into a single identity only, say, drag-racing muscle car, to the exclusion of its many other facets.

That's where you often get many of the arguments you mention. A Nav system, IRS or HIDs may make no sense to the aforementioned muscle car Stanger, representing only unneeded, for his purposes, expense and complexity. For those who see the Stang more as a GT/Pony Car, these very same features start making very good sense for their uses and driving style.

What I think we all need to bear in mind is that the Stang is different things to different people, and like the car itself, we need to be somewhat open-minded and flexible as to how we look at it. And we need to look at its competition, not with scorn and derision, but rather, with due respect and the real possibility of seeing how things could be done better on the Stang. Dearborn certainly has no monopoly on good ideas and the boys (and girls) in Bavaria, Tokyo and elsewhere are avid car nuts too and have come up with many extremely good competitors. Only fools underestimate their competition.

But the Stang is an extremely fine and ever improving performance car itself and the source of great joy to its many enthusiasts.
Old 4/28/04, 08:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

xenophobic mabye? :scratch:

or actually Xennonphobic
Old 4/28/04, 10:41 AM

I agree that it is important to remain broad-minded about sports cars in general. The japanese, IMO, make some great sports cars. The new RX8, which I recently saw up close, looks awesome, and I really dig the 350Z and G35. My current car is "Japamerican", a '96 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD, and with only a few mods is quick as heck.

I love my Talon, but I am ready for something different, some purely American V8 muscle, specifically some supercharged muscle. I can't wait for the next Cobra. As good as the '05 GT looks, I'm betting the Cobra will look even better and meaner.

So let's not bash Japanese cars as ugly or inferior, but as merely a different means to the same end - performance!

Quick Reply: Whats with all the steriotyping guys?