2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What is your favorite Mustang magazine and why?

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/08, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is your favorite Mustang magazine and why?

I've seen different magazine out there and they all look pretty good. I haven't bought any yet, but I was just curious what you all thought was the best Mustang magazine for 2005 + drivers.
Old 7/26/08, 03:21 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
IMO, I would have to say Muscle Mustangs, and Fast Fords. They have very interesting tips and reviews for modding our 05 + Mustangs. As well as 5.0 Mustang and super Ford's magazine.
Old 7/26/08, 05:27 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Motor Trend & Car and Drive. Both have great imagination.

Old 7/26/08, 05:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's one way of puting it!!

Now for the good ones: I agree 5.0 is a top choice, and I'm starting to like Mustang Enthusiast, their writeups are short, feature a lot of personal rides, and I like their tech/how to section. Modular is still the #1 though.
Old 7/26/08, 06:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
That's one way of puting it!!

Now for the good ones: I agree 5.0 is a top choice, and I'm starting to like Mustang Enthusiast, their writeups are short, feature a lot of personal rides, and I like their tech/how to section. Modular is still the #1 though.
Great choice there Dave. I too am really liking how Mustang Enthusiast writes up their tech articles and has nice insight on mods. I also am a BIG fan of Mustang Monthly, as they do a little of old and a little of new. Plus they got brownie points for putting my car in the Readers Rides section last month. .
Old 7/26/08, 06:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Motor Trend & Car and Drive. Both have great imagination.

HAHA, that was too freakin funny. They should sell them on the rack next to National Inquirer!
but MM&FF is definitely my favorite hands down!
Old 7/26/08, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They all have too many ads and toooo many "Rich Boy" rides. I am going to have to check out Mustang Enthusiast again....I bought one of their first issues and wasn't impressed.
Old 7/27/08, 02:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Who needs all that advertising when we have Taco Bill () for just about anything Mustang.They should give him a job on one of those magazines.I would buy it.
Old 7/27/08, 06:13 AM
Bullitt Member

I have to go with Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. I've been with that magazine the entire ride, back when they were Cars Illustrated (or something like that). It was just before the late Steve Collision turned over the reighns(spelling??) to Jim Campisano. The issue I first read was when Steve just nipped into the 13's with his stock, straight up bare bones LX notch. Anyone remember that?
Old 7/27/08, 07:05 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't mean to tick anyone off with a bit of self promotion or hijack a thread, but if I can make a sale AND save a TMS member some money in the process, it's worth a shot since magazine talk has been started.

Before anyone subscribes or renews to any magazines mentioned, be sure to check out my website. Link is in my sig. I can offer a better than advertised price on a lot of the titles. PM for a price and details.
Old 7/27/08, 07:12 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Muscle Mustangs, and Fast Fords is my subscription.
I have bought copies of Mustang Enthusiast also.
Old 7/27/08, 11:01 AM
V6 Member

I have been subscribed to Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords since 1998. I like it.

Also just picked up there "05-08 Mustang Performance" magazine the other day. Kinda thin, but nice to see the S197 have it's very own magazine. Not many advertisements either. It says Summer of 08, so it must be seasonal. Anyone else pick it up? or subscribe to it?
Old 7/27/08, 05:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mustang Enthusiast. I am curious about the all 2005 and up one I read about a little while ago on this forum.
Old 7/28/08, 09:43 AM
Cobra Member

I subscribe to MMFF and 5.0. I occasionally pick up up Mustang Enthusiast as well.

One word of caution: While the magazines (especially the first one) do have good articles, ALWAYS take there power numbers with a BIG grain of salt!

Does anyone else remember MMFFs 45 hp BBK throttle body article? I do. No to mention, I was looking at the horsepower and torque numbers in the before/after test on another part (don't remember exactly what, but I THINK it was for long tube headers for an s197 GT). They didn't add up, so I copied the whole mess into excel and manually calculated HP based on the listed torque and rpm (hp = torque * rpm / 5252).

What did I find?

A 30 HP "offset" to the after numbers (across the board!) making the headers look WAY better than they really were. The "TRUE" peak gain was 17 hp, but they were showing a 47 hp gain! The gain being so large was the reason I started digging into the numbers in the first place. I didn't believe it. And I was right.

If they are smart, in the future they will modify the after torque numbers then recalculate the horsepower!

I did send a letter to the editor (twice actually) about this and never heard back from them.
Old 7/29/08, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Modified Mustangs and Fords and Mustang Enthusiast run a tie for me. I enjoy the MCA club rag the most for relaxing reading though.
Old 7/30/08, 06:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RRRoamer
I subscribe to MMFF and 5.0. I occasionally pick up up Mustang Enthusiast as well.

One word of caution: While the magazines (especially the first one) do have good articles, ALWAYS take there power numbers with a BIG grain of salt!

Does anyone else remember MMFFs 45 hp BBK throttle body article? I do. No to mention, I was looking at the horsepower and torque numbers in the before/after test on another part (don't remember exactly what, but I THINK it was for long tube headers for an s197 GT). They didn't add up, so I copied the whole mess into excel and manually calculated HP based on the listed torque and rpm (hp = torque * rpm / 5252).

What did I find?

A 30 HP "offset" to the after numbers (across the board!) making the headers look WAY better than they really were. The "TRUE" peak gain was 17 hp, but they were showing a 47 hp gain! The gain being so large was the reason I started digging into the numbers in the first place. I didn't believe it. And I was right.

If they are smart, in the future they will modify the after torque numbers then recalculate the horsepower!

I did send a letter to the editor (twice actually) about this and never heard back from them.
Hey RRR, don't take the hp/tq gains of longtube headers with a grain of salt. Many on here can attest (I am one) that the hp I gained from installing these and getting the car tuned to run properly is a great addition! I love mine and got 302 to the tires with only the headers and an Airaid intake.
Old 7/30/08, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Modified Mustangs and Fast Fords as the magazine as many articles on the 4.0 Mustang. I thought the magazine was great when it was just Modified Mustangs but now they have added all Fords to the magazine. It is not that I have a problem with all Fords, I have had many Ford models but I am many interested in a magazine dedicated to my hobby car.
Old 7/31/08, 01:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey RRR, don't take the hp/tq gains of longtube headers with a grain of salt. Many on here can attest (I am one) that the hp I gained from installing these and getting the car tuned to run properly is a great addition! I love mine and got 302 to the tires with only the headers and an Airaid intake.
I'm not saying anything good or bad about long tube headers. I know they produce a gain, and produce a very nice gain if you go off road H or X pipe.

The comment was simply pointing out that at times, some of the results from these magazine tests are complete bull. As in "data was manipulated" to get the results they printed.

Hp is a calculated figure. There is no such thing as a "horsepower gauge". Not even a dyno. A dyno measures torque (actually, most of the rolling road dynos measure acceleration of a known moment of inertia) and rpm, then calculate hp as hp = torque * rpm / 5252. When you take the torque listed and multiply it by the rpm listed, then divide by 5252, you better get the exact same hp as they have listed. If not, someone either made a mistake, or (like in the case I originally mentioned) they are playing with the numbers to make the product look better than it is.

Its sort of like going to a store that always screws up your change. If they give you back too much change sometimes and not enough at other times, you can probably figure out they just can't add or count change. But if they are always shorting you on change, they are propable plain stealing from you and hope YOU can't count or add change.
Old 8/1/08, 07:55 PM
V6 Member

Mustang Enthusiast is the favorite of the five Mustang/Ford magazines I receive.

However my favorite writer is Ezra Dyer in Automobile. Very funny. His writing has some similarities to Dave Barry (remember him?)

My favorite article is the long-running "Rare Finds" by Jerry Heasley.
Old 8/1/08, 08:31 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Whichever one has that Mustang chic of the month. I don't remeber the name of the mag.

Quick Reply: What is your favorite Mustang magazine and why?