2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What Your 05 Says About YOU!

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/04, 05:44 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice note. It actually gave me goose bumpswhen I read it.
Old 12/7/04, 06:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Jess,
The parking lot where my wife works goes like this: Porsche, Porsche, Porsche, Masserati, Porsche, '96 Mustang, Porsche, Viper, Porsche...you get the idea. Fortunately, you have to know your stuff just to get hired. Nobody cared it was a V6 Mustang because everyone just drives what they want. Now that we have our '05 GT people want to see it and may buy one. A few have been taken on test drives and come back like this
The car makes its own statement.
As observed in Nashville at the 40th show:
Park it and they will come :worship:
Old 12/7/04, 06:36 AM
mav
GT Member

Old 12/7/04, 06:46 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@December 6, 2004, 11:20 PM
all those people driving those expensive cars are waving, smiling, and giving me thumbs up.
Are you sure it is the car and not your camoflauge top? Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

I know what you mean, tons of people pointing, staring, waving and pratically causing accidents. They almost act like they've never seen my wife before. Hmmm, maybe it's the car they are looking at.....oh oh, better not tell my wife that.
Old 12/7/04, 06:58 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@December 6, 2004, 11:20 PM
I think it says, "I have good taste, I am unique, and I dont care what you think."
For the part "I don't care what you think" ... I have to disagree.

Few months ago I posted a topic about which car should I buy next: 2005 Ford Mustang V6 or 1999-2001 Lincoln Navigator, for about same price. Most of the people told me to go with Mustang and reason was because 2005 Mustang is more popular and I'll be in center of attention on the streets.

My question is, if 2005 Mustang drivers don't care what other people think, why would popularity be a key factor in chosing a car?
Old 12/7/04, 07:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Arrow

Originally posted by Ponyman@December 7, 2004, 4:37 AM

I think you have to consider the age of the driver.....when I see someone driving an 05' that was not alive during the 60's or 70's, I think they just liked the car for it's "new" appeal.
I don't think that is a very fair statement, it is not fair to consider the age of the driver. The fact that I am 22 years old now, not in 1966, and was not able to choose when I was born does not mean I bought and love my 2005 Mustang simply because it is "new." My grandpa was a line worker for GM and I have grown up with classic cars all my life (72 LT1 Stingray, Chevelle SS, 65 Malibu, the list literally goes on). I love classic cars and if I could have my choice, I'd choose to be 22 in 1969. Yes I love my Mustang because it is "new" but I also love my Mustang because of its heritage. As everyone here already knows, it is classic American muscle. So, maybe I'm reliving "the good ole days" that I never had a chance be a part of?
Old 12/7/04, 07:19 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I've always found it puzzling how much weight people place on acceptance, admiration, and image in buying a car. No flames intended, it is just my observation and opinion.
Old 12/7/04, 07:35 AM
V6 Member

I have to echo Pittperson's sentiment. I was not alive for any of the vintage Mustang period (65-73). I think I saw 1 vintage mustang in my entire life (besides car shows) before I moved to AZ.

When we had the opportunity to purchase a '66 coupe, we jumped at it. The '05 appeals to us because of it's roots.... which are plainly visible. Yesterday, my wife and I went to a dealership and she finally was able to see an '05 up close and personal. It was a V6, but my wife loved it (of course, she's been hearing me drone on and on for many months now).

Her comment about the car? "It's beautiful, but I don't think they can produce a car more beautiful than a 66."

When we get one (probably '06 model year now), I will be very proud to park it next to my other baby. They will look great driving down the street together. And the '05 will look killer by itself.

I do have to say that it is the first Mustang since '68 that has REALLY grabbed my attention and it is forcing me to figure out how to purchase one!

BTW, I work in Scottsdale (which has its fair share of BMWs, MB, Ferraris, etc), and the '66 always attracts a lot of attention. It's great when a Porsche is sitting next to you and the driver is staring at the Mustang! I just think about how much less my car cost.

joe
Old 12/7/04, 07:46 AM
Retired Tms Staff

You have to admit thought, the car means more to the people that were around in the 60's - early 70's than it does someone that has only seen them at car shows. You may not agree but that is most likely because you were not around in that era.

I was born in the early 70's and yes, I was too young to know what a mustang was (darn sure it was my first word I spoke no matter what my mom says ) but those of you that were able to appreciate the stang must just love the new one.
Old 12/7/04, 07:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by ponyboy66@December 7, 2004, 4:26 AM
Jessica,
You make very valid points. I think this car digs down to the root of American muscle. To me, a 40+ year old fart, this car represents my youth without being accused of reliving it. I'm not going through a mid-life crisis as are some of the exotics. It is pure, American engineering at it's finest.
^^

I agree with that.
Old 12/7/04, 08:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree the Mustang is one of the hippest cars in the Philly / New Jersey area as
well right now. People give thumbs up, kids wave and yell 'Nice Car', all the
neighbors just want to see it up close. This car pushes all the right buttons!

The best is the car lives up to the hype and the looks with the way it drives. The goodness is baked in ..

I've owned a lot of Mustangs as well as other Fords and this car is easily the best
of them all. Ford has hit a homerun, IMO!
Old 12/7/04, 09:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@December 7, 2004, 2:40 AM
67fastback, I disagree that Mustang is not unique. With the infinite ways to customize it, it allows the owner to really be unique and individual, the way no other sports car, or any other vehicle can for that matter.
Jeeps are still the most customizable(sp?) vehicles on the road B) Unique is a gross understatement when it comes to Jeeps.
Harley-Davidson's might have'em beat though

My '05 says... "Live for today..."
with my family health history, I figured I should treat myself while I can

BTW... Interesting topic... to have a car that brings about ideas & emotions so strong is rare
Old 12/7/04, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Jessica - I bet your daughter loves being picked up at school in your new Blk GT! In fact I bet her friends all want rides too!! My kids have ensured that all their friends know that we have one on order - I've even had kids I don't know approach me at school functions and say "Do you have your Mustang yet??" ^_^
Old 12/7/04, 12:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Red Star+December 7, 2004, 8:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Red Star @ December 7, 2004, 8:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JessicaRabbitt@December 6, 2004, 11:20 PM
I think it says, "I have good taste, I am unique, and I dont care what you think."
For the part "I don't care what you think" ... I have to disagree.

Few months ago I posted a topic about which car should I buy next: 2005 Ford Mustang V6 or 1999-2001 Lincoln Navigator, for about same price. Most of the people told me to go with Mustang and reason was because 2005 Mustang is more popular and I'll be in center of attention on the streets.

My question is, if 2005 Mustang drivers don't care what other people think, why would popularity be a key factor in chosing a car? [/b][/quote]
Well I didn't see your post or I would have said to go for what YOU want. Popularity is not what it is about for me. I have always been around Mustangs. Yet when we were shopping before I got my 96 I told my mom that the choices were either a Eclipse, Mustang, Firebird, Sunfire, or Camero.Of course we also were seriously looking at a Pontiac Grand Am of Prix (I forget it was a 94/95/96 green 2 door) & a 95 Ford Probe. Those were the cars I saw that I would drive. And none, save for the Mustang are popular with my family. Because we are a Ford Family to our bones on my mothers side. Between 7 of us and our 13 vehicles only 2 do not carry the Ford name. And that would be my Uncles 38 Chevy Pickup & my cousins Mazda truck which is still put out by Ford.

But we went for the Mustang because we could get it at a good price. We bought it in 98 with 35000 miles on it & at 9500. So we thought that was a great deal. Anyway. I drive a Mustang because after looking around at other comparable vehicles I have found none that I could picture myself spending money on to buy. Besides the Nissian Exterra & the Ford Escape but those are alittle out of my price range.

So, drive what suits you. Don't drive what's popular just because it's popular if you don't like it. The Mustang just speaks to me. It fits me. And it represents my life & my personality.

Cheersmates
Old 12/7/04, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am with you pittperson ~ I am only 22 today as well. And yet I have been around vintage Stangs my entire life. Just one of many examples is when my grandfather gave my brother a 67 Gold Stang when I was like 6 or 7 & I remember being so mad because I loved that car & I wanted it when I grew up. I don't have a vintage Mustang anymore. I had a 67 yet when I was 16 my grandfather sold it. And at that time I didn't care anymore. But had he waited 1 more month I would have told him not to sell it. Because 1 month after he sold it I wanted it back. I still do.

In fact we looked for 6 months before we found the 02 I pruchased that was already on order at a dealership. At that point I had told him that if it turned out not to be the car I wanted to forget the new car & we would borrow more money against my 96 & fix it alittle & buy me another 67 to be fixed & restored.

So PLEASE don't use age as a factor. Even though I am young and still alittle dumb, yet aren't we all. I love the vintage Stangs & would give my right eye if I could afford one to have restored to numbers matching, orginial condition. In fact I have often considered learning more about cars & rebuilding them so that I could maybe help do this when I finally am able to purchase one.

So just because there are many young drivers out there like myself and pittperson please don't assume that we are driving the new stangs because it has new appeal. I can easily look at the Stang and see it's roots & how it reflects the vintage stangs of yesteryear. Anyway. JMO. Cheersmates
Old 12/7/04, 01:25 PM
FR500 Member

well i consider myself unique cuz i see no one else buying on or even considering one in my school
Old 12/7/04, 01:37 PM
GT Member

I'm in my 30's and though I like the "newness factor", I can also appreciate the heritage involved.

While I really like the '05, it was my mother (60-ish, executive assistant) who CHASED DOWN a black V-6 on I-5 the other night, just to have closer look. The car's got a very unique - and apparently universal - appeal.
Old 12/7/04, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Kahdir@December 7, 2004, 10:52 AM

BTW... Interesting topic... to have a car that brings about ideas & emotions so strong is rare
I like that saying/thought

I can't imagine being the center of attention when 180,000 mustangs are around. I bought mine because I like it and have fun with it (although the attention is a nice bonus). This is my third Mustang and I will be 31 in January.

I love the feeling of owning a piece of heritage.
Old 12/7/04, 06:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Like many of you, I did not buy it to be looked at and gather attention. My mind was made up long ago, and my order was placed as soon as they could be accepted. The attention of those around me was the last thing on my mind. I just wanted a car that I connected with, and the 2005 was the perfect match. Now that I have driven it for over a month, I have received more than my fair share of attention. The experience is both strange and cool. I am convinced that this car brings out something good in people - a feeling of something good about this country, and what it can produce. My experience is that this feeling spans many generations. Just this past Saturday, I pulled into Dunkin Donuts, and this middle age guy in his beautiful Audi-A6, looks over to me and asked, "Is it as fun as it looks ?" I gave him a great big smile, and told him "You Bet !". I really enjoyed his complement to the American workers that design and manufacture the Mustang. Not only is this car turning heads -- but it is connecting people to each other -- and to our country -- in a nice way. Wow - did Ford contemplate this ? I would guess not, but I'm glad it's happening. B)
Old 12/7/04, 10:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Amen to all of those comments os121. I'm not buying to be seen either - just for the pleasure of owning what I consider to be a new classic - the best looking car on the road and an affordable family fun car that my kids can learn to drive and enjoy as well!