2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What Your 05 Says About YOU!

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/04, 10:17 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I was cruising down the toll roads to get my daughter from school, I began contemplating the vehicles around me.

In South Orange County, (well, actually for about 75% of OC) there are a lot of expensive cars. Top of the line BMWs, MBs, Lexus, Infinitis, Porsches, and sports cars ranging from the most expensive Porsche to Lams, Ferrari's and everything in that price range... all are a common sight. When I see these cars, my first thought is: "Wow, nice car, thats some cash." or "I could buy a small house for what that car cost."

Thats not the case with the 05... however, all those people driving those expensive cars are waving, smiling, and giving me thumbs up.

I think the 05 is one of the first cars in a long time that doesnt say "I am trying to impress you." It says, " I am not flashy, I dont need acceptance." Rich people are buying the 05, and they are struttin around town, the average joe is buying this car, and he can strut just as much as the rich people do.

I think it says, "I have good taste, I am unique, and I dont care what you think." Its the ultimate symbol of Americana, youthful spirit yet the maturity of classically good taste. This is the kind of car that you can see a driver that is any age, male or female, and your only thought is, "sweet ride." If I see a 70 yr old guy in a Vette, I expect to also see some gold chains, and silk shirt opened to the waist... Ya know?

Sorry for the long ramble... I was reminded of this contemplation as I watched a commerical for the Stang.

Thats just my opinion... I could be wrong... - Dennis Miller

Oh, and flame if you want... like I said, just my opinion.
Old 12/6/04, 10:18 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I agree with you Jess.
Old 12/6/04, 10:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine says "YOU ROCK, DUDE!"

;-)

(and I do...)
Old 12/6/04, 10:24 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

LOL M1, ok, well you just took my long ramble and condensed it into 3 words...

Bet you work for Readers Digest, huh...
Old 12/6/04, 10:26 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@December 6, 2004, 11:20 PM
As I was cruising down the toll roads to get my daughter from school
Holy Poopies, they have toll roads in SoCal now! since when!

I think your sentiment is right on the money.
Old 12/6/04, 10:27 PM
GT Member

I think it says, "I have good taste, I am unique, and I dont care what you think." Its the ultimate symbol of Americana, youthful spirit yet the maturity of classically good taste. This is the kind of car that you can see a driver that is any age, male or female, and your only thought is, "sweet rid
Amen.
Old 12/6/04, 10:27 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by M1Rifle@December 7, 2004, 1:24 AM
Mine says "YOU ROCK, DUDE!"

;-)

(and I do...)
Bill, YOU ROCK MAN :headbang: :rock: :worship:

Old 12/6/04, 10:32 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

SixtySix, we have had Toll Roads for... I think about 10 years now. I travel the San Joaquin Corridor. Those are newer than the rest, and each year it gets extended further.
Old 12/6/04, 10:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Well Put Jessica..... Rock On!
Old 12/6/04, 10:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Driving home from school this Friday, San Luis Obispo to San Diego. The toll roads are a blessing through Long Beach and Laguna, definitely worth the 3 bucks.

Edit: oh yeah, you're right on Jessica, everyone and their cousin loves this car!!!
Old 12/6/04, 11:03 PM

I think it says, "I have good taste, I am unique, and I dont care what you think." Its the ultimate symbol of Americana, youthful spirit yet the maturity of classically good taste. This is the kind of car that you can see a driver that is any age, male or female, and your only thought is, "sweet ride." If I see a 70 yr old guy in a Vette, I expect to also see some gold chains, and silk shirt opened to the waist... Ya know?
I agree with most of what you said, except for two things:

1) Driving a mustang does not, and never has, made you unique, since they make so many of them, unless you are lucky enough to drive a special edition, e.g., Shelby, Boss, etc. (Although right now, since you already have an 05, you are currently unique in what you drive, but won't be for long).

2) Acceptance is something all normal people need, whether they will admit to it or not, although I am not saying that all people buy their car to be accepted by others, just that all normal people need to feel accepted - it's human nature. Some look for acceptance in the car they drive, some in other ways.

Here in California, the culture of cars is that "you are what you drive," so unfortunately, if your car is rejected, you may be too.
Old 12/6/04, 11:37 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

67fastback, I disagree that Mustang is not unique. With the infinite ways to customize it, it allows the owner to really be unique and individual, the way no other sports car, or any other vehicle can for that matter.

Its my opinion if you want to be accepted simply by the car you drive, at least here in The OC, you dont buy a Stang. If you want to reek OC, then you must own a MB, a BMW, a Lexus, etc.

Its not a status symbol, its not a way to shout to the world how much money you make. Its not a representation of where you live, but of how you live.

Its also unique in that its simply a Mustang, and yet since its original release it has been a car that crosses lines that society has drawn.
Old 12/6/04, 11:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Jess I would copywrite those last couple of lines if I were you. Some high Ford exc may be cruising this site & steal it for their next commercial.

But you are right on. The Mustang is unique in the way that we as owners choose to make it. It should reflect it's owner & represent how they live. Fast & free & yes even alittle furious IMO. Anyway. Nice oberservation. I had never thought of it like that before.

Cheersmates
Old 12/7/04, 12:59 AM
GT Member

As I was cruising down the toll roads to get my daughter from school, I began contemplating the vehicles around me.

In South Orange County, (well, actually for about 75% of OC) there are a lot of expensive cars. Top of the line BMWs, MBs, Lexus, Infinitis, Porsches, and sports cars ranging from the most expensive Porsche to Lams, Ferrari's and everything in that price range... all are a common sight. When I see these cars, my first thought is: "Wow, nice car, thats some cash." or "I could buy a small house for what that car cost."

Thats not the case with the 05... however, all those people driving those expensive cars are waving, smiling, and giving me thumbs up.

I think the 05 is one of the first cars in a long time that doesnt say "I am trying to impress you." It says, " I am not flashy, I dont need acceptance." Rich people are buying the 05, and they are struttin around town, the average joe is buying this car, and he can strut just as much as the rich people do.

Sorry for the long ramble... I was reminded of this contemplation as I watched a commerical for the Stang.

The 05 Mustang makes me proud to be an American!

:flag2:
Old 12/7/04, 01:01 AM
GT Member

The original Mustang was bought by young and old and was the most perfectly marketed car ever made.
Old 12/7/04, 01:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine says "mr. ricer, come play with me, PLEASE"
Old 12/7/04, 02:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Party on Wayne...
Old 12/7/04, 02:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Jessica,
You make very valid points. I think this car digs down to the root of American muscle. To me, a 40+ year old fart, this car represents my youth without being accused of reliving it. I'm not going through a mid-life crisis as are some of the exotics. It is pure, American engineering at it's finest.
Old 12/7/04, 03:34 AM
GT Member

I think you have to consider the age of the driver.....when I see someone driving an 05' that was not alive during the 60's or 70's, I think they just liked the car for it's "new" appeal. When I see someone middle-aged (like me), I kind of think they are enjoying the "good ole days" again.

Like many of you, I am a former owner of a few classic mustangs. They were both 66 coupes. One had the 289 auto with Pony Interior-I SURE WISHED I HAD THAT CAR! I sold it for a song when I needed the $ (Divorce Lawyers). The other 66' Coupe I'd rather forget. That was an impulse buy that I wished I hadn't.

I'm glad Ford decided to design and price a car that is within the reach of everyone. I wished their trucks were a bit cheaper (I need one).

Jim
Old 12/7/04, 04:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 67fastback@December 7, 2004, 12:06 AM
I agree with most of what you said, except for two things:

1) Driving a mustang does not, and never has, made you unique, since they make so many of them, unless you are lucky enough to drive a special edition, e.g., Shelby, Boss, etc. (Although right now, since you already have an 05, you are currently unique in what you drive, but won't be for long).

2) Acceptance is something all normal people need, whether they will admit to it or not, although I am not saying that all people buy their car to be accepted by others, just that all normal people need to feel accepted - it's human nature. Some look for acceptance in the car they drive, some in other ways.

Here in California, the culture of cars is that "you are what you drive," so unfortunately, if your car is rejected, you may be too.
I think there's two sides to that equation.

Here in Vancouver, it's alot like Southern California. It's a big city with a lot of money...and it's Hollywood North, too. BMWs and Mercedes are "me-too" cars - you see them on almost every block. Porsches, too. Even Ferraris or Bentley Continentals aren't THAT uncommon.

Most people that drive these cars drive them for status and many are mortgaged to the hilt for the privilege and probably only a paycheck away from losing them! So it's sort of a false pretense.

So, driving Bimmers and the like don't particularly make you unique anymore. In fact, driving a Bimmer up here really doesn't get you noticed at all, since they're so common.

But if you have a mint '69 BOSS 429, that will probably get as much attention as any exotic you care to name. Now, consider that in the case of the NEW Mustang, its retro design touches a lot of nerves going back 40 years...and that's special. Nobody asks whether a 2005 Lexus is a worthy descendant of the '60s versions, but the question demands an answer in the case of the new Mustang. And as is becoming clear, the answer is a resounding "yes."

My point is that the Mustang is unique as an "everyman" car. It has heritage and pedigree...and it's an American icon. Most of the other vehicles you mention - exotic or not - are not 40-year-old automotive icons (with the exception of the Porsche 911).

And if you want more uniqueness, you wait and buy a Cobra...or a Special Edition...or the next Shelby Mustang.