2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/06, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE - What would you do?

UPDATE: See below: So two weeks ago I'm sitting at a red light in my 2 week old 07 Mustang GT with 500 miles on her. A high school kid in his 02 Mustang GT pulls up behind me and stops. I look up in the mirror and feel the bump at the same time. He had taken his foot off the brake at the light and rolled into me. So I get out, pretty steamed of course, and look at my bumper. The bolt on the right side of his license plate had left an exact imprint(not real deep) of it in my bumper, along with chipping the paint slightly. I get his insurance info, give him mine, and told him to have his Dad call me later. Didn't feel it was bad enough to call the cops. Just to be safe, I called his house and left a message for the Dad to call me. The Dad called that night and I explained what happened, that the damage was not that bad, but needed to be fixed. I also told him, that I had teenage boys on my insurance at one time too and knew it was expensive, so if he wanted to handle it without going thru the ins.co., that it was fine with me. He said fine.
So, I didn't have time til the following week to get estimates. The best one I got was for $276.00 from the dealership where I got the car. Called the people back on Tuesday and the wife answered. Said her husband was out of town. She asked how much the estimates were for. I told her and she immediately copped an attitude about how her kid said there was no damage. I said, just have your husband call me. I waited until this past Saturday, and no phone call. So I call Saturday around noon, and left a msg. on their machine. Still no call yet.
So, do I give him more time, or go ahead and file on insurance?
Why can't people just man up and do the right thing?

Just as I was about to call the insurance co. yesterday, the Dad called. He had indeed been out of town. Wanted to see the damage and took it over to him to see. He called back just now and is paying for the damages. My faith in humanity is temporarily restored.
Old 11/20/06, 02:53 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have been more than patient, call the insurance company. They had their opportunity.
Old 11/20/06, 03:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by NJ3
You have been more than patient, call the insurance company. They had their opportunity.
+1 on that from me. I'd definitely do it now, after the mother copped the attitude towards you.
Old 11/20/06, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by texxas guy
So two weeks ago I'm sitting at a red light in my 2 week old 07 Mustang GT with 500 miles on her. A high school kid in his 02 Mustang GT pulls up behind me and stops. I look up in the mirror and feel the bump at the same time. He had taken his foot off the brake at the light and rolled into me. So I get out, pretty steamed of course, and look at my bumper. The bolt on the right side of his license plate had left an exact imprint(not real deep) of it in my bumper, along with chipping the paint slightly. I get his insurance info, give him mine, and told him to have his Dad call me later. Didn't feel it was bad enough to call the cops. Just to be safe, I called his house and left a message for the Dad to call me. The Dad called that night and I explained what happened, that the damage was not that bad, but needed to be fixed. I also told him, that I had teenage boys on my insurance at one time too and knew it was expensive, so if he wanted to handle it without going thru the ins.co., that it was fine with me. He said fine.
So, I didn't have time til the following week to get estimates. The best one I got was for $276.00 from the dealership where I got the car. Called the people back on Tuesday and the wife answered. Said her husband was out of town. She asked how much the estimates were for. I told her and she immediately copped an attitude about how her kid said there was no damage. I said, just have your husband call me. I waited until this past Saturday, and no phone call. So I call Saturday around noon, and left a msg. on their machine. Still no call yet.
So, do I give him more time, or go ahead and file on insurance?
Why can't people just man up and do the right thing?
I just wish there were more good people in this world...

It just shows being nice sometimes sucks.
Old 11/20/06, 03:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

+2 You tried to be nice and they're being A-holes so just contact they're insurance.
Old 11/20/06, 03:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJ3
+1... My neighbor is a body man. I know that it is insanely expensive to repaire even the most minor damange. Not many people know this and are supprised by the estimates. The damaged as described would require the whole bumper being sprayed, not counting the body work. If you wanted to be a jerk you should have him paid to have the whole bumper replaced, which would have been more than double your original estimate.
Old 11/20/06, 03:52 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Me, I would've called the police and ins immediately. I'm not that optimistic about people. Especially kids and their defensive parents. Good luck.
Old 11/20/06, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the support. I'll be calling the ins. folks tomorrow. I just don't get it though. I would have taken my son over there to apologize, look at the damage, and then make my son pay for it. Now it's gonna cost this guy even more money paying for his son's insurance, when he could have gotten off cheap. I understand it was an accident, but you gotta take responsibility at some point. Oh well, what goes around comes around.
Old 11/20/06, 05:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by texxas guy
Oh well, what goes around comes around.
Oh hell yes, GIVE IT as good as you GOT IT.

Peace.
Old 11/20/06, 07:56 PM
Big Falken Tires

If I have learned ONE thing.... in just about every circumstance, especially if they say not to, ALWAYS get the cops involved so there is a report.

If you don't.... further down the line, now it is your word against theirs......

(not everyone out there is as nice a guy as you and me)
Old 11/20/06, 09:46 PM
GT Member

Yep go through insurance.

It just never seems to fail that when you try to be nice about these kind of things. The people think it is too expensive until they are in court or they see how much their insurance goes up.

Good luck.
Old 11/20/06, 10:08 PM
FR500 Member

After that kind of response, I think that person needs to be taken out behind the shed... And if their insurance will pay for it, see if you can get a new bumper cap instead.
Old 11/20/06, 10:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
If I have learned ONE thing.... in just about every circumstance, especially if they say not to, ALWAYS get the cops involved so there is a report.

If you don't.... further down the line, now it is your word against theirs......

(not everyone out there is as nice a guy as you and me)
I agree that the best thing to do at this point is file a claim w/ insurance.
In regard to calling the police for a report...
Here in LA Ca the police won't come out for minor non-injury collisions.
Old 11/20/06, 11:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

File crash report with your insurance company, speak to Body Shop Manager, tell him you want bumper cover replaced, NOT REPAIRED. Once you get through all the incidentals, plus rental vehicle (of similar/like vehicle) the total will probably be in excess of 1000.00. Your car is BRAND NEW, do not settle for a simple repair and re-spray!, You WILL SEE IT every time you look at the back of the car.
Old 11/21/06, 06:30 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Repairing plastic is no big deal. The plastic repair process is a matter of routine these days and bodyshops now have the ability and experience to do it right. If the damage is as you describe, pick a good shop the repair will be fine, permanent, and invisible to your eye.
Best of luck.
Old 11/21/06, 07:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Always, always, always call the police. Here in Oklahoma City we work all accidents. Most towns don't work non-inj. accidents. Call your local police department and see if you can go down and file a police report anyway. Tell them waht occurred and see if they have whats called a "no investigation made" report form. We use these here all the time for this exact situation. I feel for ya. I've seen this happen so many times. You try to be nice and you get screwed for your trouble. Another option is this. Call the kids house again and tell them you have been more than patient and if you don't receive any cooperation you will call the police and file a report. You can also pursue legal action in the form of small claims court. I wish I could give you a concrete answer on what to do, but because every police department has different policies in regards to accidents its hard to do. Good luck. Let us know how it pans out. Your experience is a good teaching tool for the rest of us.
Old 11/21/06, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

yeah, definitely let us know what happens. Good luck!
Old 11/21/06, 08:58 AM
Cobra Member

Never ever give them the option to pay out of pocket. You will end up getting screwed. It relly doesn't look good if you file an accident claim a couple of weeks after the accident occured. I don't mean to preach but that's what you have insurance for in the first place. Use it. Good luck with everything.
Old 11/21/06, 09:06 AM
V6 Member

A disposable camera in the glove box. A shot of the two cars, another of his bumper on yours, another of his license plate. Case closed.

You were nice, they were not. Turn in claim, send pics. Get car fixed. Now they have chargeable accident on their policy. Too bad, so sad.

I know, too late for you, but not for others who may be reading.

I’d jump at the chance to settle the issue outside of insurance. I’d make arrangements with the shop that I be responsible for paying $xxx.xx as per the estimate, then I would pay the shop directly. The bill gets paid and prevents an estimate-goes-in-my-pocket scam, which is probably what they think you’re pulling.
Old 11/21/06, 08:08 PM
GT Member

No fun I know. If the nice way doesn't work, you could give them one last chance with a certified mail with return receipt. It may be useful later to have documented your case since you don't have a Police report.