2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/05, 09:15 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my 05 Mustang GT right before Christmas. We had to go out of town to get it. I won't bore you with the details but it was not easy to find what we wanted exactly, but after an extensive search we found a dealer 2 hours away with the exact car we wanted. Satin silver, automatic, GT premium, IUP, red leather. upgrade wheels.
So we go to pick up the car and all is well. Except.. When I get home, a day or so later, I was looking at my brochure and noticed that the shifter was silver and chrome and mine was all BLACK. What would you guys do? Let it go or what?

Chris
Old 1/13/05, 09:23 PM
GT Member

One would think the dealer could order the correct part in for you. It shouldn't be a big deal for them. I know when I worked at a GMC dealership we got a truck with a Chevy logo airbag in a GMC so mistakes do happen with any make and model.
Old 1/13/05, 10:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

as far as i kno it was changed to the all black. i may not be right but i believe black is how its actually supposed to come now. do a search here its been mentioned before
Old 1/13/05, 11:16 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Speedrulez@January 13, 2005, 8:18 PM
I bought my 05 Mustang GT right before Christmas. We had to go out of town to get it. I won't bore you with the details but it was not easy to find what we wanted exactly, but after an extensive search we found a dealer 2 hours away with the exact car we wanted. Satin silver, automatic, GT premium, IUP, red leather. upgrade wheels.
So we go to pick up the car and all is well. Except.. When I get home, a day or so later, I was looking at my brochure and noticed that the shifter was silver and chrome and mine was all BLACK. What would you guys do? Let it go or what?

Chris
Everyone was busy during the holidays. It's not going to hurt to give the dealer a call and tell him what you were expecting. So what if you overlooked it temporarily in order to get your car in time for the holidays. The salesman might have done the same thing in the same situation! You have nothing to lose asking!
Old 1/14/05, 05:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

It's been dicussed on the board that the product version is all black.
Old 1/14/05, 05:59 AM
Bullitt Member

If you have the IUP, your shifter should look like this:
Old 1/14/05, 06:25 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by barjon@January 14, 2005, 7:02 AM
If you have the IUP, your shifter should look like this:
That's what MINE looks like!
Old 1/14/05, 06:01 PM
V6 Member

I have the IUP, My color, everything, just have the black shifter. The dealer says they will try and get one for me. 2 hour ride, one way. Just a pain in the neck thats all.

Chris
Old 1/14/05, 08:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

You may want to try calling your local dealer first... i'm sure the dealer you got it at would submit some sort of warranty-type claim when they order the part, which your local dealer could as well... might save you 4 hours of driving (not that I mind an extra 4 hours with the new Stang).
Old 1/16/05, 09:19 AM
V6 Member

I talked to the local dealer and they said they could do it as a sublet, if the original dealer will agree. My salesman said it should be no problem and I should know on Monday. I wonder why it never got put on at the factory?

Chris
Old 1/16/05, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Chris, it's probably just one of those rare instances where the wrong part was pulled when your car was assembled. You should have no trouble getting it replaced.

This is going to sound crazy, but I'm kinda liking the look of the all black center console between the red seats with the rest of the aluminum trim.
Old 1/16/05, 10:49 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
This is a factory mistake or they were simply out of the right part it should be no problem to get replaced under warranty. You will need the **** and the Bezel to correct this. The upgrade bezel is not currently listed in the parts catalog separately so the entire assembly will probably need to be ordered. This can be taken care of at ANY dealer not just the purchasing dealer! Take a picture with you as they may not be very familiar with all the details of every option! I work at a dealership and if you need any help please ask.

KC
Old 1/16/05, 01:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Not sure if this is what happened or not, but a lot of times if the plant runs out of a certain (easily replaceable) part, they put in a substitute so that they don't have to stop the line. When they do this though, they are supposed to tag the part, and the person who does the final inspection before the cars get loaded onto the carriers is supposed to catch it and have it replaced with the correct part.

I'm not that surprised that it happened, but pretty surprised that no one noticed it. Hopefully they'll get the parts quick and you'll be done with it =) Make sure they order that silver bezel too!
Old 1/16/05, 07:51 PM
GT Member

Check to see if you have IUP 18g or 18r
Old 1/16/05, 08:15 PM
V6 Member

How do I find that info?

Chris