2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What is PDAF?

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/04, 02:25 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A dealer added some PDAF price into the total calculations for the car and didn't give an explanation of what it is. Anyone know what PDAF is?
Old 9/23/04, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

You sure it wasn't FDAF? Was it about $250

This is some charge Ford tacs on for local advertising or some such. I don't believe your dealership can remove it.
Old 9/23/04, 02:37 PM
V6 Member

Yeah it was about 250. Thanks, this makes a little more sense then.
Old 9/23/04, 02:40 PM
V6 Member

Is this a special plan that you have? I haven't seen my actual bill yet - but if it's not a plan I would argue that advertisement should be built into the cost of the car (as should delivery imho) as it is with every single other product sold. If it's not an A/X Plan etc. you could ask for a credit of $250 on there if you're not happy.. of course, if you're trading he'll just add it on there anywho!
Old 9/23/04, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I have my invoice in hand and there is no FDAF charge. Using the price list that Kevin posted I calculated my MSRP and it matches exactly the price on my invoice.
Old 9/23/04, 02:51 PM
V6 Member

I'm using the X plan, but i won't be talking with the salesman until at least tomorrow or monday.
Old 9/23/04, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Nichole@September 23, 2004, 2:51 PM
I have my invoice in hand and there is no FDAF charge. Using the price list that Kevin posted I calculated my MSRP and it matches exactly the price on my invoice.
Are you buying the car at invoice? Or under a X/D/A plans?
Old 9/23/04, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by klous+September 23, 2004, 4:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (klous @ September 23, 2004, 4:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nichole@September 23, 2004, 2:51 PM
Are you buying the car at invoice? Or under a X/D/A plans? [/b][/quote]
Haven't talked about exactly how much yet but I'm not using any plans. I have the invoice in front of me that Ford generates it includes Invoice, MSRP, A/D/X plan prices.
Old 9/23/04, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Nichole+September 23, 2004, 2:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nichole @ September 23, 2004, 2:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by klous@September 23, 2004, 4:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@September 23, 2004, 2:51 PM

Are you buying the car at invoice? Or under a X/D/A plans?
Haven't talked about exactly how much yet but I'm not using any plans. I have the invoice in front of me that Ford generates it includes Invoice, MSRP, A/D/X plan prices. [/b][/quote]
Everyone Ive seen generated from Fords system adds the following items after totalling.

Delivery- 625
Gas- 22.55
AFDF - 250.00

Im not looking right at one, but thats about right. I've been told these charges are added by Ford. A member that works at a Ford dealership could clear this up.
Old 9/23/04, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I have "destination and delivery" 625.00
"11 US GAL fuel charge" 22.55
No FDAF
Old 9/23/04, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

from http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car3.htm

Advertising Fees
Usually when you buy through discount sites like from InvoiceDealers, Autoweb, Car.com, Autobytel, CarsDirect, AutoUSA you avoid ad fees. Car makers charge dealers for regional and national advertising campaigns. These charges are reflected on the invoice and are a legitimate cost of doing business. This is where opinions differ, as I feel it's their cost of doing business, not ours. Tell them to pay your fees like gas, wear and tear, and your time for driving all over town to shop for the car. Many dealers are sticklers about this fee, and it's difficult to get them to drop it, but some do waive the fee. If a dealer adds on their own advertising fee above and beyond this, they are out of bounds. Dealers try to charge $250 -$1000, but it should not be more than $250. You're not paying for their inability to find cost effective ads. $1000 ad fees allow the dealer to charge you a lower price on the car. You think you're saving money, but ad fees take it right back. This fee may also show up as "Sales Promotion Fund", or DAA, or ADA, or anything referring to ads. Edmund's says it's non-negotiable, but they are wrong. Anything in life is negotiable, and I don't give up that easily. What angers me the most is the cryptic way that dealers hide this fee from you by using huge acronyms, then playing stupid when you question it. "Duh, I don't know, we always charge this fee". A Nissan Dealer in Chicago told one of our visitors that they have to charge the Nissan advertisement fee and can't drop it or they can face a class action law suit. Nice scam. Where's my bull icon?

Ford dealers use the cryptic term "FDAF/LMDA" on their invoice. "FDAF" stands for "Ford Dealer Advertising Fund", and the "LMDA" stands for Lincoln Mercury Dealer Advertising. Why can't they just disclose it as "ad fee"? I didn't pay an ad fee for my Lexus in 1998 or the Mazda Millenia in 1999. Honda add fees are built into the invoice price, don't let them charge you extra. Other companies choose their own cryptic acronym, like DAA (Dealer Area Advertising), TDA (Toyota Dealer Advertising Fee), HDA, you get the picture. If it ends with an "A", it's most likely an advertising fee. Speaking of advertising, dealers are neither grateful nor shy about plastering their name on the trunk of your shiny new car at a cost of $0 to them. You then spend the next several years advertising their dealership free of charge with your moving billboard. You should charge them a $600 advertising fee for that.
Old 9/23/04, 05:45 PM
GT Member

FDAF is included in on the dealer invoice price. My order lists a $180 FDAF Assessment as well as the $22.55 U.S. GAL GAS fee. I told the dealer I would pay $500 over Dealer Invoice which includes these fees.
Old 9/23/04, 05:46 PM
GT Member

I guess Mohave, CA being a small town does not have the advertising campaign that LA will.
Old 9/23/04, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PDAF- is that PDA fund?
Old 9/23/04, 09:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

It is a legitimate fee but it is kind of meaningless in a way. We sell our new cars at $200 under invoice, one way we are able to do this is with very little advertising. Our business comes strickly from word of mouth. As an experiment, in August we spent a grand total of $0 on new car advertising but still out sold every dealer in our market. If the FDAF didn't exist, we would have to advertise more and probably charge more for the cars, either way you end up paying virtually the same thing.

A dealer that sells a car at $500 over might have to charge $800 over to cover there increased advertising budget if the fdaf didn't exist. Of course if your paying msrp (foolishly, in my opinion), or negotiating down from msrp, the charge is also meaningless. If you're getting $X off of sticker, i doesn't matter what invoice includes, your number is still the same.